Report: B1G & Big East to start challenge series | Syracusefan.com

Report: B1G & Big East to start challenge series

This all about the B1G telling ESPN that you are either going to overpay us ridiculously or we will go with our BTN partner FOX in 2016. Get ready to hear about SEC speed and how slow the B1G teams look during College Gameday this fall.

This all about the B1G telling ESPN that you are either going to overpay us ridiculously or we will go with our BTN partner FOX in 2016. Get ready to hear about SEC speed and how slow the B1G teams look during College Gameday this fall.

We already hear about the sec speed 50,000 times a day anyway.

This a basketball Challenge. No football involved, so it has nothing to do with the SEC.

It is a Big Ten reaction to the ACC-Atlantic 10 series, which enabled the ACC to get its BB tournament into the Barclay's Center. The ACC had better hope that the Big East quid pro quo is not giving the B1G access to MSG for their tournament.

This a basketball Challenge. No football involved, so it has nothing to do with the SEC.

It is a Big Ten reaction to the ACC-Atlantic 10 series, which enabled the ACC to get its BB tournament into the Barclay's Center. The ACC had better hope that the Big East quid pro quo is not giving the B1G access to MSG for their tournament.
You aren't getting my point about the SEC.
It is fine what you said after that is reasonable, but if you look at the micro-level of this move its all about giving good inventory to the B1G's partner Fox and its new cable channel FS1. I doubt it has anything to do with the ACC-Atlantic 10 deal unless these games are played in MSG. The ACC didn't want these games with these games with the A-10, but they had to agree to them to get the A-10 to let the ACC have its tournament at Barclay's for 2016 when the A-10 had the contract for the building.

It is fine what you said after that is reasonable, but if you look at the micro-level of this move its all about giving good inventory to the B1G's partner Fox and its new cable channel FS1. I doubt it has anything to do with the ACC-Atlantic 10 deal unless these games are played in MSG. The ACC didn't want these games with these games with the A-10, but they had to agree to them to get the A-10 to let the ACC have its tournament at Barclay's for 2016 when the A-10 had the contract for the building.

Someone here linked an article from the Omaha paper yesterday that indicated that the Big East was looking for a partner to schedule a challenge with. So this Challenge was probably initiated by the Big East. They are naming it after David Gavin. Now that the Big East sprawls all across the same geography as the Big Ten, it makes some sense. They are now in Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiannapolis, etc.

It will be interesting to see how hard ESPN fights for Big Ten Tier 1 content in 2017 now that ESPN has the SEC and the ACC. For the Big Ten to realize its goals it needs a bidding war to take place. I'm not sure ESPN will engage in one, but perhaps they will.

Someone here linked an article from the Omaha paper yesterday that indicated that the Big East was looking for a partner to schedule a challenge with. So this Challenge was probably initiated by the Big East. They are naming it after David Gavin. Now that the Big East sprawls all across the same geography as the Big Ten, it makes some sense. They are now in Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiannapolis, etc.

It will be interesting to see how hard ESPN fights for Big Ten Tier 1 content in 2017 now that ESPN has the SEC and the ACC. For the Big Ten to realize its goals it needs a bidding war to take place. I'm not sure ESPN will engage in one, but perhaps they will.

There are many signs that ESPN will not take part. This is going to hurt the Big Ten more than it's going to hurt ESPN. ABC/ESPN has the most valuable conference in football by far (the SEC) locked up and the most valuable conference in basketball (the ACC) locked up as well. Add that along with the premier matchups for baseball (Sunday Night baseball), NFL (Monday Night Football), and the NBA finals and they're not really hurting for content. Sportscenter still dominates in sports news and you can bet that they'll limit the highlights and coverage of the B1g.

I think this is a smart move for the Big 10 and part of their strategy to expand East. It would not surprise me if the BTN shows some Big East basketball games in the future as Fox owns the rights to the Big East and is majority owner of the BTN. Maybe this helps the BTN get on NYC basic cable is they are showing St. John's and Seton Hall basketball games as well as Big 10 content.

In addition, it wouldn't surprise me if the Big 10 gets a year at MSG for the Big 10 basketball tourney.

I think this is a smart move for the Big 10 and part of their strategy to expand East. It would not surprise me if the BTN shows some Big East basketball games in the future as Fox owns the rights to the Big East and is majority owner of the BTN. Maybe this helps the BTN get on NYC basic cable is they are showing St. John's and Seton Hall basketball games as well as Big 10 content.

In addition, it wouldn't surprise me if the Big 10 gets a year at MSG for the Big 10 basketball tourney.

4 games max on the Big Ten network aren't going to get it on basic cable in NY. If you struggle to get YES on basic cable there is no way in hell that the companies are going to force Minnesota vs Iowa basketball on NYC. Also, the Big East has MSG locked up for the foreseeable future so not sure how the B1g plans on getting in on that. Doesn't make sense for a midwestern league to leave Chicago/Indy just so 500 fans can watch Rutgers.

The only way the BTN gets on NYC and CT cable systems at a rate around $1 a month is to extort using the Yankees as leverage. A few SJU or SH Hoops games won't matter one bit.

The B1G is sending a message to ESPN with these games. ESPN doesn't need the B1G, but they want to keep the B1G rights because it would completely destroy the ability of FS1 to compete with ESPN. ESPN generates 50 billion dollars a year in profit for Disney they want to wipe out the competition. NBCSN is making progress thanks to the BPL and NHL, but FS1 has very little content outside of UFC, Big XII football, Big East basketball the B1G rights are the last ones to open up in the near future.

These games help FS1 by giving them games with B1G teams.

The Big Ten is going to announce their basketball tournament in Washington, DC tomorrow according to leaks. And it is already going over like a lead balloon in the midwest.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...tially-to-d-c-great-for-business-bad-for-fans

The Big Ten is a midwestern league, and most of its fans live in the midwest. Making them all travel to the expensive eastern cities to attend the events of the conference will get old really quick. And it shouldn't be a surprise. The league has 11 schools west of Pennsyvania.

I hope the ACC tournament will do well in New York. It can also involve expensive hotel rooms for ACC fans. But I think enough live in the area to fill the arena.

The Big Ten is going to announce their basketball tournament in Washington, DC tomorrow according to leaks. And it is already going over like a lead balloon in the midwest.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...tially-to-d-c-great-for-business-bad-for-fans

The Big Ten is a midwestern league, and most of its fans live in the midwest. Making them all travel to the expensive eastern cities to attend the events of the conference will get old really quick. And it shouldn't be a surprise. The league has 11 schools west of Pennsyvania.

I hope the ACC tournament will do well in New York. It can also involve expensive hotel rooms for ACC fans. But I think enough live in the area to fill the arena.
Putting their tourney in DC will be terrible for the B1G. Outside of Maryland it's a long, long hike for B1G fan bases. PSU fans don't care about basketball. Rutgers people were always sparse at the BET plus they're eliminated the first game they play. They will have a hard time filling the building especially if they try it more than the novelty of 1 year. DC for the ACC in 2016 will be great without MD. The fan bases from Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville would fill the building by themselves.

The B1G is sending a message to ESPN with these games. ESPN doesn't need the B1G, but they want to keep the B1G rights because it would completely destroy the ability of FS1 to compete with ESPN. ESPN generates 50 billion dollars a year in profit for Disney they want to wipe out the competition. NBCSN is making progress thanks to the BPL and NHL, but FS1 has very little content outside of UFC, Big XII football, Big East basketball the B1G rights are the last ones to open up in the near future.

These games help FS1 by giving them games with B1G teams.

From source...reaction to above and what is taking place in minds of ACC Conference:
...and so it continues. First with the upcoming match-ups against the Big EAST at MSG...and now it appears that the B1G will play its bball tournament in '17 at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC. It appears that the ACC and B1G are at war...with the ACC needing to defend its territory from the B1G--which I have been told was mostly due to the ACC taking Notre Dame as an associative member as well as the need of the B1G to find new markets to grow its Network. Below is link to ESPN article on the B1G tournament in DC:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...n-dc-verizon-center-host-big-ten-tourney-2017

Interestingly, this move by the B1G may lead to an earlier than thought push for the ACC Network...which I have heard is being touted for '17. Watch the news for SEC-ACC combo for football and perhaps another sport scheduling--could it be Bball. Sometimes supposed enemies need to become allies when a third party begins to make waves endeavoring to make inroads. With the advent of SEC Network this August it may play out that the ACC and SEC have a need to figure out how to support the SEC Network and coming ACC Network with content that draws both conferences' fans. Importantly, ESPN is going to also defend its position...with the SEC and the ACC...it isn't sharing these two conferences and will defend to keep its dollars and share of market growing with these two conferences.

The upcoming ACC meetings in Florida could give a glimmer to what may be on the docket insofar as defending against the B1G incursion...so far the reaction to the B1G move has been one of amusement rather than worry...there are some GOOD surprises coming from the ACC and potential partners...stay tuned as the fun is beginning.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

From source...reaction to above and what is taking place in minds of ACC Conference:
...and so it continues. First with the upcoming match-ups against the Big EAST at MSG...and now it appears that the B1G will play its bball tournament in '17 at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC. It appears that the ACC and B1G are at war...with the ACC needing to defend its territory from the B1G--which I have been told was mostly due to the ACC taking Notre Dame as an associative member as well as the need of the B1G to find new markets to grow its Network. Below is link to ESPN article on the B1G tournament in DC:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...n-dc-verizon-center-host-big-ten-tourney-2017

Interestingly, this move by the B1G may lead to an earlier than thought push for the ACC Network...which I have heard is being touted for '17. Watch the news for SEC-ACC combo for football and perhaps another sport scheduling--could it be Bball. Sometimes supposed enemies need to become allies when a third party begins to make waves endeavoring to make inroads. With the advent of SEC Network this August it may play out that the ACC and SEC have a need to figure out how to support the SEC Network and coming ACC Network with content that draws both conferences' fans. Importantly, ESPN is going to also defend its position...with the SEC and the ACC...it isn't sharing these two conferences and will defend to keep its dollars and share of market growing with these two conferences.

The upcoming ACC meetings in Florida could give a glimmer to what may be on the docket insofar as defending against the B1G incursion...so far the reaction to the B1G move has been one of amusement rather than worry...there are some GOOD surprises coming from the ACC and potential partners...stay tuned as the fun is beginning.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

I can see the ACC and the SEC working together as well as working with the Big XII to keep the Big Ten in check. The Big Ten has poached the Big XII too, and it probably is looking at some of their schools still. ESPN also will want to promote the Longhorn network as well.

The SEC for the most part hates the B1G and looks at the ACC as a little brother.

ESPN has ALL of the SEC(minus 1 FB game a week on CBS) and ACC.

ESPN and FOX/FS1 split the Pac-12 evenly and they split the Big XII FB but ESPN has all of the Big XII hoops

B1G wants ESPN to overpay and give more to its BTN. ESPN knows this and will try to keep the B1G, but won't overpay IMO as they were pissed B1G gave its Championship game to its BTN partner over ESPN. I bet the B1G ends up splitting its tier 1 FB and BB between FS1 and ESPN because while the B1G will want to help FOX they won't want to lose the exposure of ESPN. They will get good money, but unless ESPN fears losing the B1G and overpays the money won't be as crazy as the B1G's leaks have been. ESPN is smart enough to see all these moves by the B1G for what they are.

ESPN will support the ACC and SEC if they lose the B1G tier 1. I am not worried and the B1G going East isn't a shocker. These moves by the B1G are money grabbers because they know they need to deliver or else the Rutgers/Maryland additions will be seen as horrible by B1G traditionalists.

This from yesterday's Katz article:

"The conference has been on an Eastern push lately, opening up a satellite office in New York and then Monday announcing a partnership with the Big East for an eight-team challenge series of nonconference games in 2015-16.

The Big Ten is looking to put its conference tournament in the New York area at either Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in future years as well. The new cities would rotate with traditional homes Chicago and Indianapolis."

My point is that the B1G move is part of their thrust into the heart of the ACC (Verizon and MSG), and that the ACC needs to be concerned, and prepared to respond. It would not be good if the B1G was playing their tournament in MSG at the same time the ACC was playing theirs at Barclay Center.

I think getting their tournament in the Garden is a much bigger deal for the Big Ten than adding 8 hoops games a year (Big East Challenge) of inventory for their network.

This from yesterday's Katz article:

"The conference has been on an Eastern push lately, opening up a satellite office in New York and then Monday announcing a partnership with the Big East for an eight-team challenge series of nonconference games in 2015-16.

The Big Ten is looking to put its conference tournament in the New York area at either Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in future years as well. The new cities would rotate with traditional homes Chicago and Indianapolis."

My point is that the B1G move is part of their thrust into the heart of the ACC (Verizon and MSG), and that the ACC needs to be concerned, and prepared to respond. It would not be good if the B1G was playing their tournament in MSG at the same time the ACC was playing theirs at Barclay Center.

I think getting their tournament in the Garden is a much bigger deal for the Big Ten than adding 8 hoops games a year (Big East Challenge) of inventory for their network.
Big East/FOX owns MSG for the next whatever years for their conference tournament. The Big East is likely to accommodate the B1G/FOX to help the B1G get its tournament at MSG in the future rather than the ACC/ESPN by either moving its tournament up a week or rotating it with Washington D.C.

These deals are about ESPN vs FOX. ESPN won't talk about this, but until the B1G signs its next rights deal all these moves are done strategically by Delany.

Big East/FOX owns MSG for the next whatever years for their conference tournament. The Big East is likely to accommodate the B1G/FOX to help the B1G get its tournament at MSG in the future rather than the ACC/ESPN by either moving its tournament up a week or rotating it with Washington D.C.

These deals are about ESPN vs FOX. ESPN won't talk about this, but until the B1G signs its next rights deal all these moves are done strategically by Delany.

I could see the Big East working with the B1G on a rotation in and out of MSG. Now that the Big East sprawls out to Wisconsin, Chicago, and Nebraska, it has a similar footprint to the B1G. With Butler there, the Big East might have interest in Indianapolis too. MSG has always been the crown jewel of the Big East, but it might not be as important to Creighton, DePaul, and Marquette as it was to Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and UConn.

But per the article I linked earlier in the thread, the eastern cities are not going to be huge hits for midwestern fans in the B1G either. They will have to rely on their alumni in the area. Michigan State was quite outnumbered in the NCAA regional by UConn and UVA fans in MSG. Both NYC and Washington, DC are at the extreme corner of the B1G geographically. It would be like the ACC having our tournament in Miami a lot. Plus with NYC Rutgers and Penn State don't fill up basketball arenas, and they are closest to NYC in the conference.

So it will be interesting to watch. To your point both the Big East and B1G have ties to FOX, so there could easily be cooperation.

I could see the Big East working with the B1G on a rotation in and out of MSG. Now that the Big East sprawls out to Wisconsin, Chicago, and Nebraska, it has a similar footprint to the B1G. With Butler there, the Big East might have interest in Indianapolis too. MSG has always been the crown jewel of the Big East, but it might not be as important to Creighton, DePaul, and Marquette as it was to Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and UConn.

But per the article I linked earlier in the thread, the eastern cities are not going to be huge hits for midwestern fans in the B1G either. They will have to rely on their alumni in the area. Michigan State was quite outnumbered in the NCAA regional by UConn and UVA fans in MSG. Both NYC and Washington, DC are at the extreme corner of the B1G geographically. It would be like the ACC having our tournament in Miami a lot. Plus with NYC Rutgers and Penn State don't fill up basketball arenas, and they are closest to NYC in the conference.

So it will be interesting to watch. To your point both the Big East and B1G have ties to FOX, so there could easily be cooperation.
Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana alone will fill up DC. When we played Indiana in DC in 2013 NCAA regionals they had a huge crowd equal to ours and DC is an SU stronghold.

I agree the B1G schools won't like DC or NYC every season, but it will be a part of the B1G's rotation with Chicago and Indy like the ACC will rotate NYC with Greensboro, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC. Having the tournaments in each part of the conference footprint is smart just to give local economies of the schools a boost. I wouldn't object to holding the tournament once in Richmond if the arena their was big enough, Boston, Pittsburgh, Louisville etc.

Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana alone will fill up DC. When we played Indiana in DC in 2013 NCAA regionals they had a huge crowd equal to ours and DC is an SU stronghold.

I agree the B1G schools won't like DC or NYC every season, but it will be a part of the B1G's rotation with Chicago and Indy like the ACC will rotate NYC with Greensboro, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC. Having the tournaments in each part of the conference footprint is smart just to give local economies of the schools a boost. I wouldn't object to holding the tournament once in Richmond if the arena their was big enough, Boston, Pittsburgh, Louisville etc.

Richmond could have the Women's Tournament, but it doesn't have a big enough arena for the Men's Tournament. Richmond also needs a new arena, or the Richmond Coliseum needs a total overhaul. It was built in 1971, and it has served its purpose. It has had a few facelifts, but it is largely outdated. Charlottesville, with the new JPJ Arena, is a much better arena.

But I like you don't mind the tournment moving around. It is fun to try new places.

Fox would have to pay the Big East a lot to get them to move the BET out of MSG even occasionally to allow the B1G to have it. Maybe it happens a couple times, maybe not. I think the admins at STJ, Nova, GT would rather die than give up MSG. By 2026 it will be moot IMO as MSG will happily not renew the BET and the ACC will move in. The BET was not sold out last year. Lots of empty seats for the championship game. And that was in the first year...novelty...for the new schools. Attendance will only get worse...wait until it's an all midwest final without a Providence, STJ, Nova.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom