REPORT: BE to Add Five Teams By Week's End... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

REPORT: BE to Add Five Teams By Week's End...

here was our chance to see some air raid offenses in the dome and we had to go and ruin everything by jumping ship simply because the ACC offers way more money, way more geographical sense, way more history, way better basketball, and way more renewed football rivalries.

Take comfort in the fact that'll never happen. IF Syracuse has to do concurrent time with the newbies until we can go to ACC, the powers that be will make sure we play at SMU or Houston on a Thursday night following a Saturday trip to San Diego.

I love how this new conference will span coast-to-coast, yet will be called the Big East. I realize they can't change the name, I just find it funny.

The Big East of the Pacific Coast Highway Conference.

Just keep in mind that had we not left we'd be playing with some of these schools long term. Figure TCU and WVU would have left regardless of the ACC stuff, so maybe the BE wouldn't have added Boise St and San Diego St, but we'd be in a league with SMU, Houston and UCF.

Woulda been awesome, right?

Yet Tom Penders is tweeting the teams are getting cold feet...I'll believe it when I see the press conference on ESPN 8

Would have been awesome for the fans who live in FLA or Texas. Get to see the hoop team every year.

The rest of us ... not so much.

We had one hole that year and filled it with a trip to Purdue with no return trip. We were screwed. This year we have TWO holes to fill.
That was a situation in which Syracuse needed 2 games to fill out the schedule.

Cincinnati was entering the BE the following year and was very helpful. Cincinnati & Purdue agreed to axe the Cincy @ Purdue game for the Cincy @ Syracuse and Syracuse @ Purdue combo. These situations only work if you need to find two games and can find willing programs. Purdue looked at the Syracuse for Cincinnati trade as a possible schedule upgrade. Perhaps Cincinnati looked at it as a better chance of a 'W'.

If Syracuse needs to fill both the designated TCU & WVU schedule slots perhaps one of our new ACC partners will be willing to help the Orange out this time.

Cincinnati was entering the BE the following year and was very helpful. Cincinnati & Purdue agreed to axe the Cincy @ Purdue game for the Cincy @ Syracuse and Syracuse @ Purdue combo. These situations only work if you need to find two games and can find willing programs. Purdue looked at the Syracuse for Cincinnati trade as a possible schedule upgrade. Perhaps Cincinnati looked at it as a better chance of a 'W'.

If Syracuse needs to fill both the designated TCU & WVU schedule slots perhaps one of our new ACC partners will be willing to help the Orange out this time.

That is what I think too..hey Jurrie

Does Georgia State have a slot available next year? If I was SU I would call them and offer a 2 for 1. We can play them in GA next year and get two home games in the out years.
IIRC GA State will be 1A next year.

That is odd. We lost Miami and VT. I thought UConn was added a year early to fill one hole. Why did we have two?

i can't stay up for late night west coast games.

how crazy is it that big east fans will be home falling asleep during games where it's still light out for the players playing the game

How crazy is it that every San Diego State Saturday game is going to start at 9 am local time?

Poor ECU. I wonder what happens to Houston and SMU when their coaches leave? Such a short sighted panic move. Guess that's all they have left.

It is short-sited, but it may be their only move. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't they be able to use Boise St.'s and Houston's rankings this year to keep the BE AQ?

So we sign an FCS next year and 2013 and need to add at least one game to get to 11 in both years ? I'm all for playing SMU in Dallas next year :)

What a mess.

The only team that I wouldn't consider is Boise. Houston has had a fantastic year this year. The question is if they can sustain it.

Subtract this year and they are 62-52 since 2002; in conference usa.

SDST? you're kidding.

The BE lost out on Navy, Air Force and even BYU. These new teams are a joke. I doubt Boise is going to jump just yet without some sort of guarantee that the BE is going to be part of the BCS.

Houston was a top ten team this year - their coach is being mentioned for any number of jobs.

And the team comes from the No. 4 or 5 largest market in the USA. So, Houston is a very good get.

Actually I'm not kidding about SDST. The Aztecs have had a very decent history. And San Diego is another solid market.

SMU with June Jones is on the rise. And, Dallas is another excellent market.

Playing a game in SD or Dallas or even Houston would be fun for members of the BE.

I don't see the new prospective BE teams as "jokes" - not even close.

Maybe that is where Maryland steps in. But that is one tough OOC schedule.

Houston was a top ten team this year - their coach is being mentioned for any number of jobs.

And the team comes from the No. 4 or 5 largest market in the USA. So, Houston is a very good get.

Actually I'm not kidding about SDST. The Aztecs have had a very decent history. And San Diego is another solid market.

Playing a game in SD or Dallas or even Houston would be fun for members of the BE.

It will be a confederation of solid teams in major markets. I just don't see long term viability from a rivalry standpoint.

It will be a confederation of solid teams in major markets. I just don't see long term viability from a rivalry standpoint.
Zactly...nothing is going to stop anyone from moving on...a marriage of convenience.

Those Texas teams carry less of those markets than SU, Rutgers, or UConn do of NYC.

Could be a new conference name in the works though... The Big Market Conference or WOBNIWC (We're On But Nobody Is Watching Conference)

Those Texas teams carry less of those markets than SU, Rutgers, or UConn do of NYC.

Could be a new conference name in the works though... The Big Market Conference or WOBNIWC (We're On But Nobody Is Watching Conference)

I like the "Psycho Stalking Ex-Girlfriend Conference"

I like the "Psycho Stalking Ex-Girlfriend Conference"

Not bad! "Up next on the Ocho following roller derby, we've got an intense conference matchup in the PSEG conference"

The only team that I wouldn't consider is Boise. Houston has had a fantastic year this year. The question is if they can sustain it.

Subtract this year and they are 62-52 since 2002; in conference usa.

SDST? you're kidding.

The BE lost out on Navy, Air Force and even BYU. These new teams are a joke. I doubt Boise is going to jump just yet without some sort of guarantee that the BE is going to be part of the BCS.
Houston is all about the QB.

With Keenum starting in 07, 08, and 11, they went 8-5, 8-4, 12-1.

Without Keenum in 10 (injured), they went 5-7.

With Keenum gone next year, I wouldn't expect to hear much from them again.

Do you have data or are you just presuming?

Houston is all about the QB.

With Keenum starting in 07, 08, and 11, they went 8-5, 8-4, 12-1.

Without Keenum in 10 (injured), they went 5-7.

With Keenum gone next year, I wouldn't expect to hear much from them again.

All I know is that they were in the top five last week.

Houston has had a pretty good string of QBs over the years including Keenum, Kevin Kolb, David Klingler and Andre Ware.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Cougers coming up with another one.

Maybe.

But, who thought that Colorado would end up in the same conference as Oregon State?

Do you have data or are you just presuming?

Assuming based on Texas, Texas Tech, A & M, Oklahoma, Baylor and probably LSU with all the Katrina transplants being within shouting distance of Houston and Dallas markets. Not even sure Houston would outdraw TCU in those markets but again all just assumptions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom