REPORT: BE to Add Five Teams By Week's End... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

REPORT: BE to Add Five Teams By Week's End...

It will be a confederation of solid teams in major markets. I just don't see long term viability from a rivalry standpoint.

As a UConn fan, I feel the same way. From a competitive standpoint it won't be bad, but in terms of interest level it's not going to be the same.

SDSU has been in a tough spot caused by that awful TV contract the MWC is under.

@ 1/3 of the homes in San Diego County are under a different cable system and cant get their games. Its like 20% of their living alumni.

All I know is that they were in the top five last week.

Houston has had a pretty good string of QBs over the years including Keenum, Kevin Kolb, David Klingler and Andre Ware.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Cougers coming up with another one.
Even with Kolb, how good were they?

They'll get a boost from this success, but sustained top 25 appearances are no guarantee at this point.

Even with Kolb, how good were they?

They'll get a boost from this success, but sustained top 25 appearances are no guarantee at this point.

Yes, no assurances for success, but a very solid addition to the BE.

Houston has a decent football tradition and is in a large TV market.

For BE teams trips to Houston, Dallas, San Diego and Tampa will be appealing for young players.

The BE can sell itself as a national conference that will truly prepare players for the life of a professional football player.

Many on this board think the BE is a mess - I think they have come up with a very smart plan - boardering on brilliant.

Yes, no assurances for success, but a very solid addition to the BE.

Houston has a decent football tradition and is in a large TV market.

For BE teams trips to Houston, Dallas, San Diego and Tampa will be appealing for young players.

The BE can sell itself as a national conference that will truly prepare players for the life of a professional football player.

Many on this board think the BE is a mess - I think they have come up with a very smart plan - boardering on brilliant.
I see your point. I think it would make more sense if the football schools bolted and joined up with the new invitees to form an all sports conference.

6 road games a year and half will be on the other side of the country-bodes well for fan travel-NOT

take a bunch of good things from all over and jam them together doesnt make it good-

I live in the Dallas area now and lived in Houston for over three years in the mid-1990's (and still do business down there). SMU and Houston get very little mention in their own cities. Texas A&M and Univ. of Texas dominate.

6 road games a year and half will be on the other side of the country-bodes well for fan travel-NOT

I-see-what-you-did-there-Fry-300x225.jpg

take a bunch of good things from all over and jam them together doesnt make it good-

Fan travel is not the concern I'm sure.

TV is the concern.

The BE will be on TV now all day and all night on Saturdays.

Folks on the east coast will now watch San Diego State games and fans on the west coast and in Texas will now watch games on the east coast.

If I'm a player, I want to visit San Diego, Houston, Tampa and Dallas.

A lot more fun than say, Morgantown? Or Blacksburg?

I live in the Dallas area now and lived in Houston for over three years in the mid-1990's (and still do business down there). SMU and Houston get very little mention in their own cities. Texas A&M and Univ. of Texas dominate.

SMU and Houston both got plenty of attention when both were playing at a high level.

With June Jones I'm certain Dallas will start paying attention to the Mustangs.

SMU and Houston both got plenty of attention when both were playing at a high level.

Like Cincinnati has done with the Bearcats...

Laken Litman (@LakenLitman)
12/7/11 11:44 AM
Just heard that June Jones called his assistants back from their respective recruiting trips to meet him at #SMU. ASU announcement eminent..

San Diego State??? LMAO! Their stadium is about to collapse at any moment.

Like Cincinnati has done with the Bearcats...

Exactly.

When the Bearcats were going to the Orange Bowl they got a lot of attention.

Good point. Thanks.

Exactly.

When the Bearcats were going to the Orange Bowl they got a lot of attention.

Good point. Thanks.

Actually, I was being sarcastic. They had trouble selling out their own tiny stadium that year as well.

No offense, but you are way overestimating their pull. It took TCU over 10 years of winning consistently before anyone really cared. SMU has probably lost June Jones to Arizona State, and the only time they were relevant was when they were cheating. Houston had a brief moment of success back in the SWC under Pardee, but they were still behind A&M, UT, the Oilers , the Astros and the Rockets. No one in Dallas cares about SMU either. It's a pro town first and foremost with the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars. Then the college news is always dominated by A&M & UT. I've been down here over 20 years now. I don't see things changing anytime soon.

No offense, but you are way overestimating their pull. It took TCU over 10 years of winning consistently before anyone really cared. SMU has probably lost June Jones to Arizona State, and the only time they were relevant was when they were cheating.

Another reason why we should be cheating.

Fan travel is not the concern I'm sure.

TV is the concern.

The BE will be on TV now all day and all night on Saturdays.

Folks on the east coast will now watch San Diego State games and fans on the west coast and in Texas will now watch games on the east coast.

If I'm a player, I want to visit San Diego, Houston, Tampa and Dallas.

A lot more fun than say, Morgantown? Or Blacksburg?
More fun- primetime game on ESPN in front of a jacked crowd in Blacksburg, or primetime game on NBC Sports in front of a 60% empty Qualcomm Stadium?

This year had to be the capper for Boise ST., not getting a BCS berth despite having only 1 loss on a missed FG to a ranked TCU squad. Meanwhile, VPI, who did not defeat a single team in the AP top 25, gets invited to the Sugar Bowl.

This year had to be the capper for Boise ST., not getting a BCS berth despite having only 1 loss on a missed FG to a ranked TCU squad. Meanwhile, VPI, who did not defeat a single team in the AP top 25, gets invited to the Sugar Bowl.
Well that should change as soon as they get into the Big East. Assuming the whole system of BCS bowl bids doesn't change by then.

No offense, but you are way overestimating their pull. It took TCU over 10 years of winning consistently before anyone really cared. SMU has probably lost June Jones to Arizona State, and the only time they were relevant was when they were cheating. Houston had a brief moment of success back in the SWC under Pardee, but they were still behind A&M, UT, the Oilers , the Astros and the Rockets. No one in Dallas cares about SMU either. It's a pro town first and foremost with the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars. Then the college news is always dominated by A&M & UT. I've been down here over 20 years now. I don't see things changing anytime soon.

You forgot Baylor and RGIII.

Southlake Carroll and Allen high school football here gets more coverage and fans than SMU

More fun- primetime game on ESPN in front of a jacked crowd in Blacksburg, or primetime game on NBC Sports in front of a 60% empty Qualcomm Stadium?

Of course, large crowds are great.

And, playing in front of large crowds is a lot of fun.

But, if I'm a player, I would look forward to spending some time in San Diego, and Dallas and Houston.

And, the bottom line is that today's sports regime is about TV - eyeballs watching television.

Large crowds are nice, but TV revenue is now running the show.

And that's what the BE is exploiting by incorporating large TV markets.

Bush league stuff:

SMU coach June Jones had accepted an offer to coach Arizona State and minor contract points were being ironed out, a source said, when his representatives today received a call saying the offer had been pulled.

The source said Arizona State's explanation was that "it took too long" and the school president was moving on.

"We had accepted the deal," the source said. "I've never seen anything like this."

One source said negative reaction from fans and boosters to the selection of Jones prompted the reversal. Arizona State has now negotiated with and ended negotiations with two candidates, including Houston's Kevin Sumlin.

Winning breeds interest. It took TCU ten years? So be it. By joining the BE, SMU and Houston will benefit. And who knows what might happen in the next ten years.

By the way, I think you forgot about one of the great college coaches and his years of success - Bill Yeoman, who invented the veer option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom