Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks

Fearless predictions:

The Zen Master and Jeannie Buss are back on like Donkey Kong

Phil releases another book within the next 18 months

Hornacek gets fired mid-season by his new GM Mr. Thomas
If Dolan hires Isiah a Knicks fan employee needs to start recording everything Dolan says in private and entice him into saying something that will get the franchise taken from him.

The boy wonder Zen Master became an old man mired in the past. Meanwhile, as with most everything else in life, those who keep growing and evolving and grasp change are the ones who get it and keep rising to the top.

Cases in point: Jerry West (79), Pat Riley (72), Gregg Popovich (68), Jerry Colangelo (77), Hubie Brown (83 --- I've never once heard Hubie in a telecast wax nostalgic about the "good old days," instead, he celebrates the game and the present).

Phil, who was out in front for years, stopped growing, he just became what appears to be a miserable old man who couldn't grasp that the times they are a'changing. They always have, always will.

Now, if the Knicks could only resolve their major problem, which Jackson's ineptitude has masked for a few years: the owner's an idiot.

Wilkins coached a title team in Seattle. He went to Finals in 1978 and 1979 as coach.

He coached the Cavs and Hawks. Never had a top 5 player and was always competitive. He coached Atlanta to the one seed in 1994.
Wilkins coached the 1996 Olympic team as well.
I forgot Chuck Daly in my list.

Daly's Xs and Os was really good. The guy was really underrated as a coach.

I just can't put Wilkens in the top group. One title, career .536 win%. That's 44 win pace.

For instance, Phil has a career 70.4 win%, that's 58 wins. He had one season in his career where he won fewer than 44, which is Lenny's average season.
Pop is 69.4 win%, his first season he won 17 games, every season since then he's been well past 44, never below 50.
Riley is 63.6 win%, 52 wins per year. He won 15 games in his last year, 42 games once, and 44 once, and was well over 44 every year.

I get you can't totally go by wins and losses, but it's really not close at all.

Phil Jackson made more money the last 3 years than 2 MVPs in the last 3 years Steph Curry made.

What a waste of money thus guy made.

I just can't put Wilkens in the top group. One title, career .536 win%. That's 44 win pace.

For instance, Phil has a career 70.4 win%, that's 58 wins. He had one season in his career where he won fewer than 44, which is Lenny's average season.
Pop is 69.4 win%, his first season he won 17 games, every season since then he's been well past 44, never below 50.
Riley is 63.6 win%, 52 wins per year. He won 15 games in his last year, 42 games once, and 44 once, and was well over 44 every year.

I get you can't totally go by wins and losses, but it's really not close at all.
Lenny can go down a tier. He would have likely been able to win more titles if he had the players.

At least it's a good thing that the Knicks' #1 pick is a natural for the triangle offense.

Oh, wait...

Not sure David Griffin would want to join the Dolan circus, but I think he'd be an excellent GM candidate for any team.

If true - Phil's only modern thinking that may take root is his preference for drafting foreign players citing his aversion to dealing with players who grew up in the AAU culture.

The boy wonder Zen Master became an old man mired in the past. Meanwhile, as with most everything else in life, those who keep growing and evolving and grasp change are the ones who get it and keep rising to the top.

Cases in point: Jerry West (79), Pat Riley (72), Gregg Popovich (68), Jerry Colangelo (77), Hubie Brown (83 --- I've never once heard Hubie in a telecast wax nostalgic about the "good old days," instead, he celebrates the game and the present).

Phil, who was out in front for years, stopped growing, he just became what appears to be a miserable old man who couldn't grasp that the times they are a'changing. They always have, always will.

Now, if the Knicks could only resolve their major problem, which Jackson's ineptitude has masked for a few years: the owner's an idiot.
You win the internet.

If true - Phil's only modern thinking that may take root is his preference for drafting foreign players citing his aversion to dealing with players who grew up in the AAU culture.

Even that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Of the 15 guys that made All NBA teams this past year, the only foreigners were Giannis and Rudy Gobert. You've gotta be able to find the best player, regardless of where he's from...it would be just like Phil to be all smug and get on some kick like that though.

Total steal for the Rockets.

all along I've been hoping Melo could get on CP3's team. With Melo and Pringles' history, that doesn't seem likely now.

Paul and Harden though...wow. Will be interesting to see how Harden adjusts to playing off the ball more now. It's been years since he did much of that.

We should compare the talent level each coach had. I will do Phil. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq and Kobe. Who was the best player Lenny ever had?

We should compare the talent level each coach had. I will do Phil. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq and Kobe. Who was the best player Lenny ever had?

Dennis Johnson? Mark Price? Steve Smith?

Good point.

I am presuming Paul told the Clippers he was going to leave for Houston anyway.
Houston would have to move more players to have the cap space to sign Paul as a FA.

Houston by trading for him they gave up less. Because the cap number for Paul opting in was less than the FA cap space needed and now Houston will have his Bird rights next offseason.

Who was the best player Lenny ever had?

images

Houston was at 90 million before this trade. Paul was 23 million cap space.
Houston gave up Beverly, Williams, Dekker 14 million and with their 9 cap space to make the deal with the draft pick and trade exemption.

Houston by trading got this deal without gutting the money to sign Paul.

Houston would have to move more players to have the cap space to sign Paul as a FA.

Houston by trading for him they gave up less. Because the cap number for Paul opting in was less than the FA cap space needed and now Houston will have his Bird rights next offseason.

Yeah they would have to move players, but at least this way the Clippers got something for him.

Phil did have great players. Those great players also didn't win very much when they weren't with Phil. That's all I'm saying. Phil lost the greatest player of all time, replaced him with Toni Kukoc, and won 55 games. that's pretty damn impressive.

Yeah they would have to move players, but at least this way the Clippers got something for him.

Phil did have great players. Those great players also didn't win very much when they weren't with Phil. That's all I'm saying. Phil lost the greatest player of all time, replaced him with Toni Kukoc, and won 55 games. that's pretty damn impressive.

Chicago and LA were both very young, pre-Phil though.

Pippen, Grant, and especially Kobe were just really coming into their own right when Phil took over.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach though. But he had loaded squads and superstars in their primes at both stops.

Chicago and LA were both very young, pre-Phil though.

Pippen, Grant, and especially Kobe were just really coming into their own right when Phil took over.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach though. But he had loaded squads and superstars in their primes at both stops.

That's true, and I've never not said players aren't the most important thing. They clearly are.

But it is a little convenient that those guys came into their own right when Phil took over. Maybe it's not a complete coincidence.

I've always thought Phil's greatest strength was as a manager of personalities. Shaq and Kobe might have killed each other a few years earlier under another coach. Jordan might have killed the entire Bulls roster any time they missed a shot under another coach. I'll copy and paste this directly from Dennis Rodman's wiki

"In the following 1994–1995 NBA season, Rodman clashed with the Spurs front office. He was suspended for the first three games, took a leave of absence on November 11, and was suspended again on December 7. He finally returned on December 10 after missing 19 games."

Rodman's value was so low, he was traded to the Bulls for Will Perdue. Will Perdue! But Phil kept him (relatively, it is Rodman) under control and they won 3 titles.