Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks

guys, lets focus on getting rid of Noah...keeping Melo...and bringing some star power to the Garden to compete for the bling.

im not interested in hearing about what any other team can do to be set up to beat the warriors, just 1.

the Knicks.

now post away...

Doc is clearly over his head especially in personnel issues. The Jordan signing was dumb as the Clips weren't that close to winning and he isn't a guy who is putting you over the top. That said - Paul is on the clock now as will be Griffin if he bails. Lack of playoff success cannot be constantly blamed on your coach, teammates, etc.

Great players need to be able to overcome and carry the day - Paul and Griffin have been getting a pass that was easy to give because of the Doc presence.
Too much blame/credit goes to any one player most of the time for failure/success in any team sport. Do the Clippers do that much better in the playoffs if Curry and Paul are swapped? Do the Warriors do that much worse? A lot has to come together to win it all and there are few guys of the Lebron/Jordan/Kobe caliber that can truly put a team on their backs for an extended period in the playoffs.

You think so? I would imagine they still win the east. If George and Hayward go to the Celtics, maybe that changes.

I think realistically, everyone but GS is irrelevant in the championship chase. I think if the Cavs could get George they could give GS a run for their money, would still like GS though. Adding Melo, i don't see that moving the needle too much
I think if they can keep the Big 3, definitely. If it's Love for Melo, I think they have a punchers chance.

Biggest reason is that you won't have the bottom fall out when Lebron goes to the bench. The offense can run through Melo and that keeps you strong while Lebron is resting and gives you a rested Lebron all game who doesn't tire in the 4th or has to conserve energy all game.

I think if they can keep the Big 3, definitely. If it's Love for Melo, I think they have a punchers chance.

Biggest reason is that you won't have the bottom fall out when Lebron goes to the bench. The offense can run through Melo and that keeps you strong while Lebron is resting and gives you a rested Lebron all game who doesn't tire in the 4th or has to conserve energy all game.

Is melo any better offensively than Kyrie? I'd rather run my offense through Kyrie than Melo at this point I think.

For whatever this is worth (probably not a lot, maybe it is) the Knicks played better with Melo on the bench this year than when he played. I think he's a pretty diminished player. He can help a team for sure, he's still a good player, but he's not the guy he was a few years ago.

I refuse to consider a possibility where the Knicks buy Melo out and he goes to Cle and they don't need to send Love out. I just refuse to believe that will happen. I can't.

Here's a crazy Melo stat, this is both his % of shots at the rim, and his shooting % on those stats, the last few years

2013: 25.4%, 53.7%
2014: 19.1%, 58.9%
2015: 22.1%, 58.4%
2016: 21.3%, 54%
2017: 12.5%, 56%

He's taking about half as many shots at the rim as he did 5 years ago; he dropped nearly 10 percentage points in one year! Not a good sign

Is melo any better offensively than Kyrie? I'd rather run my offense through Kyrie than Melo at this point I think.

For whatever this is worth (probably not a lot, maybe it is) the Knicks played better with Melo on the bench this year than when he played. I think he's a pretty diminished player. He can help a team for sure, he's still a good player, but he's not the guy he was a few years ago.

I refuse to consider a possibility where the Knicks buy Melo out and he goes to Cle and they don't need to send Love out. I just refuse to believe that will happen. I can't.
It's a difference of opinion. I think the Knicks were so poorly run with such little talent that Melo looked worse than he is.

I fully expect him to have a resurgent few years if he joins a contender.

I think Melo is much better than Love.

Clearly running the offense through Kyrie isn't working, put Melo out there with him allows Lebron to rest. They need an alpha when Lebron sits, Kyrie has that but not enough against super teams and Love is the opposite of an alpha.

It's a difference of opinion. I think the Knicks were so poorly run with such little talent that Melo looked worse than he is.

Clearly running the offense through Kyrie isn't working, put Melo out there with him allows Lebron to rest. They need an alpha when Lebron sits, Kyrie has that but not enough against super teams and Love is the opposite of an alpha.

Kyrie was pretty damn amazing on offense in that finals series though. I can't imagine Melo being any better. Still didn't matter.

I think Love is probably better than Melo at this point. So yeah, definitely difference of opinion. I also don't think we're getting an answer, Melo isn't going anywhere.

Kyrie was pretty damn amazing on offense in that finals series though. I can't imagine Melo being any better. Still didn't matter.

I think Love is probably better than Melo at this point. So yeah, definitely difference of opinion. I also don't think we're getting an answer, Melo isn't going anywhere.
Well that's all they had. Lebron and Kyrie. Love didn't do anything out there. Melo would do something, believe that.

Kyrie offense not working? I'll take Kyrie all day. He was insane out there. Did I miss something?

Here's a crazy Melo stat, this is both his % of shots at the rim, and his shooting % on those stats, the last few years

He's taking about half as many shots at the rim as he did 5 years ago; he dropped nearly 10 percentage points in one year! Not a good sign
doesn't this mean he wasn't a 'black hole' and actually passed the ball to lesser, more crappier, shouldn't be in the NBA teammates??

He's definitely lost a lot of athleticism in recent years, which is normal because he's at the age where that happens and has a surgically repaired knee.

His shooting, skills, footwork, and savviness are all still sharp. He'd get easier looks on a good team. I think he'd be pretty deadly as a spot up shooter on a team with some offensive talent.

doesn't this mean he wasn't a 'black hole' and actually passed the ball to lesser, more crappier, shouldn't be in the NBA teammates??
I think it means he wasn't willing to take the bumps by going inside even though that's still where he is most effective at scoring. He became more of a jump shooter.

guys, lets focus on getting rid of Noah...keeping Melo...and bringing some star power to the Garden to compete for the bling.

im not interested in hearing about what any other team can do to be set up to beat the warriors, just 1.

the Knicks.

now post away...
I'd like to focus on whatever the best path is to getting Melo on a championship team. Couldn't care less about the Knicks.

I think it means he wasn't willing to take the bumps by going inside even though that's still where he is most effective at scoring. He became more of a jump shooter.
I got ya.

so his FTs should've also gone down.

No, that's his shot distribution. Has nothing to do with how many shots he takes.

He's definitely lost a lot of athleticism in recent years, which is normal because he's at the age where that happens and has a surgically repaired knee.

His shooting, skills, footwork, and savviness are all still sharp. He'd get easier looks on a good team. I think he'd be pretty deadly as a spot up shooter on a team with some offensive talent.

I mostly agree with this. I just don't think he's the focal point of a good offense anymore and he's not really a difference maker on a great team

I do wonder if he picks up the option for the year after next. It's a lot of money, but he has the chance to sign a 3 or 4 year deal, right?

Kyrie offense not working? I'll take Kyrie all day. He was insane out there. Did I miss something?
They were gentleman's swept and they continually fell apart when Lebron went to the bench. Kyrie was insane but they need more help or Lebron to be able to play 48 minutes per game.

Melo can help with that, whereas Love clearly does not.

Zach Lowe floated the idea that he'd take his buyout and join CP3 and Harden in Houston

Zach Lowe floated the idea that he'd take his buyout and join CP3 and Harden in Houston
That would be amazing.

I mean, I think it could be a total train wreck, but I'd want to watch it.

That would be amazing.

I mean, I think it could be a total train wreck, but I'd want to watch it.
3 guys who dominate the ball. That could be a cluster of epic proportions.

I got ya.

so his FTs should've also gone down.
Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that. I wonder if they did.

Edit: At 4.9 attempts per game they were the lowest of his career. The last 3 years have been the lowest three years of his career and trending down.

Last edited:

I think if he got the buyout he'd be in Cle. Not sure he wants to play for D'Antoni again

I think if he got the buyout he'd be in Cle. Not sure he wants to play for D'Antoni again
Also is Melo really any better than Kevin Love? I'd actually argue, yes, he is because I don't see Melo getting owned by Durant like Love was. Melo on one leg still has better athleticism than Love, but Love gives Cleveland more boards and better D than Melo so I'd say its a tossup whether Melo actually makes Cleveland any better. If his ego allowed it I'd say Melo's best chance at a ring would be to go to San Antonio to take some of the pressure off of Leonard but I don't think Melo and Pop would be a great fit... although given their olympics experiences together who knows.

Back to the topic of the Knicks... Melo is wasting his time as the Knicks aren't going to contend for anything before his career is effectively over. I'm also still not convinced of Porzingis... the dude definitely has talent but there is something to be said about how long 7'3" guys can last health wise in the league and whether its wise to build around them. I'm pretty pissed Phil skipped both Monk and Smith to grab the French dude.

Melo is the Jay Cutler of the NBA...

Melo is the Jay Cutler of the NBA...
Can't make a comment like that and not include a "Smokin'" Melo Anthony photoshop.

You can't.