Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Report: Carmelo Anthony's tried to engage Knicks in buyout talks

Chicago and LA were both very young, pre-Phil though.

Pippen, Grant, and especially Kobe were just really coming into their own right when Phil took over.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach though. But he had loaded squads and superstars in their primes at both stops.
Phil's best coaching job was 1994. I would say he is an obvious alltime great coach but I do think he always had the horses.
I don't think he was great at in-game coaching. He was obsessed with Tex Winter's triangle.

If Rick Adelman and Jackson flipped rosters in the 2002 WCF I don't think he makes any difference. Pop is a level above. Pat Riley as well.

Kobe got better every year for like his first 5 years, regardless of who the coach was though. That was just the natural progression of a super talented, hard working young player. I don't think Phil had anything to do with that.

He definitely did a great job with Rodman.

I don't know about managing Shaq and Kobe. To me, that was broken up prematurely and Phil was unable to prevent it. It's not his fault, it was Shaq and Kobe's fault. But I don't know if he gets credit for it not happening sooner.

That's true, and I've never not said players aren't the most important thing. They clearly are.

But it is a little convenient that those guys came into their own right when Phil took over. Maybe it's not a complete coincidence.

I've always thought Phil's greatest strength was as a manager of personalities. Shaq and Kobe might have killed each other a few years earlier under another coach. Jordan might have killed the entire Bulls roster any time they missed a shot under another coach. I'll copy and paste this directly from Dennis Rodman's wiki

"In the following 1994–1995 NBA season, Rodman clashed with the Spurs front office. He was suspended for the first three games, took a leave of absence on November 11, and was suspended again on December 7. He finally returned on December 10 after missing 19 games."

Rodman's value was so low, he was traded to the Bulls for Will Perdue. Will Perdue! But Phil kept him (relatively, it is Rodman) under control and they won 3 titles.
I agree Phil was great at managing personalities. I would also argue in the NBA that is well over 1/2 the coaches job.

Phil's best coaching job was 1994. I would say he is an obvious alltime great coach but I do think he always had the horses.
I don't think he was great at in-game coaching. He was obsessed with Tex Winter's triangle.

If Rick Adelman and Jackson flipped rosters in the 2002 WCF I don't think he makes any difference. Pop is a level above. Pat Riley as well.
I'm not sure if you have seen the Celtics/Lakers 30 for 30 but I was watching it last night. I didn't realized Riley was the Lakers color guy before he was hired as an assistant. For some reason I didn't know that. Pretty crazy considering the career he had.

[
I'm not sure if you have seen the Celtics/Lakers 30 for 30 but I was watching it last night. I didn't realized Riley was the Lakers color guy before he was hired as an assistant. For some reason I didn't know that. Pretty crazy considering the career he had.

Same, I'm working my way through it, just got to that part. Then again, look at Steve Kerr.

Something I noticed; none of those dudes used their left hand, like, ever.

[

Same, I'm working my way through it, just got to that part. Then again, look at Steve Kerr.

I'm really enjoying it. I was born in 79 so I don't remember much basketball before I was like 6 or 7. By that time Kareem was really old and Bird and Magic were in their 30's so my memory of them is different. I more remember the bad back old Bird and I was in 7th grade when Magic got AIDS so it's cool to seem them back then.

Larry Bird played a whole game left handed in 1986 because he was bored.

Ha, he did there. I'm not saying he couldn't, and I was exaggerating a little for effect, but it stood out to me.

Larry Bird played a whole game left handed in 1986 because he was bored.

Worth a watch, for sure. He made it look so easy. He knew he was gonna tie the game, and hit the winner. Bird gets overlooked a bit when it comes to all time greats. His passing, and basketball IQ was insane. He looked like he was just toying with people most of time, and he did a lot.

It's being reported that CP3 left the Clippers, in part, because Doc Rivers vetoed a trade that would've brought in Melo and Vujacic for Crawford, Pierce and Austin Rivers.

Wow. Doc... You done messed up.
Was just gonna post this. Crazy.

IMG_3738.jpg

It's being reported that CP3 left the Clippers, in part, because Doc Rivers vetoed a trade that would've brought in Melo and Vujacic for Crawford, Pierce and Austin Rivers.

If that's true then that's insane, and Doc shouldn't have that authority just to keep his kid. The Clippers are gonna be the Clippers again. Redick is bouncing, probably Blake too. DeAndre has to be sitting around wondering what the hell just happened.

I think they did well in trading Paul, instead of getting nothing. Beverley, and Lou are decent plus a 1st round pick.

They should have got something for Griffin, like Melo, when they had a chance. Not sure the details on Blake so maybe they still can, but the Lakers are back on top it looks like in LA.

Solid job, Doc. You can coach your son, and...

How is it even possible that Doc Rivers has the power to do that? That is craziness! A front line of Melo, Griffin, Jordan with Paul to get them the ball could have given them a chance to compete with the big boys out west.

Last edited:
[

Really? I was watching it and saw a bunch of left hand stuff. Bird had that rebound-and-scoop-shot-in-one-motion highlight from the right side of the basket using his left along with other shots and a bunch of passes. I saw other guys using their left too.

all along I've been hoping Melo could get on CP3's team. With Melo and Pringles' history, that doesn't seem likely now.

Paul and Harden though...wow. Will be interesting to see how Harden adjusts to playing off the ball more now. It's been years since he did much of that.

I don't think it diminishes the chances all that much. Paul is only on a one year deal with Houston. He can sign anywhere he wants next year as can Lebron, Carmelo..they could all decide to sign with the knicks for all we know...or if the clips get rid of doc (the reason why paul left) they could all go there.

Doc is clearly over his head especially in personnel issues. The Jordan signing was dumb as the Clips weren't that close to winning and he isn't a guy who is putting you over the top. That said - Paul is on the clock now as will be Griffin if he bails. Lack of playoff success cannot be constantly blamed on your coach, teammates, etc.

Great players need to be able to overcome and carry the day - Paul and Griffin have been getting a pass that was easy to give because of the Doc presence.

Really? I was watching it and saw a bunch of left hand stuff. Bird had that rebound-and-scoop-shot-in-one-motion highlight from the right side of the basket using his left along with other shots and a bunch of passes. I saw other guys using their left too.

Well, I don't think I mentioned Bird specifically, but everyone seems to be picking on him.

Anyway, the one Bird play that stood out was against Philly (I think); he got a rebound or steal on the left side of the court, dribbled all the way down that side of the court with his right hand, (kind of awkwardly on that side of the floor) and nailed a jumper to win the game. It just struck me is all.

Melo needs to do whatever it takes to get himself to Cleveland.

If the Cavs can't get Paul George, they will be irrelevant in the Championship chase next year unless Melo can force his way there.

Melo needs to do whatever it takes to get himself to Cleveland.

If the Cavs can't get Paul George, they will be irrelevant in the Championship chase next year unless Melo can force his way there.

You think so? I would imagine they still win the east. If George and Hayward go to the Celtics, maybe that changes.

I think realistically, everyone but GS is irrelevant in the championship chase. I think if the Cavs could get George they could give GS a run for their money, would still like GS though. Adding Melo, i don't see that moving the needle too much

You think so? I would imagine they still win the east. If George and Hayward go to the Celtics, maybe that changes.

I think realistically, everyone but GS is irrelevant in the championship chase. I think if the Cavs could get George they could give GS a run for their money, would still like GS though. Adding Melo, i don't see that moving the needle too much

If they could somehow get Melo without giving up any of their big 3, I think they would have the firepower to compete with the Warriors. They won't be able to stop GS, but if Cleveland can make that lineup click, GS wouldn't be able to stop them either.

If they could somehow get Melo without giving up any of their big 3, I think they would have the firepower to compete with the Warriors. They won't be able to stop GS, but if Cleveland can make that lineup click, GS wouldn't be able to stop them either.

I meant to say I assumed the Cavs would have to lose someone off their big 3 (presuming Love) to make that happen, but obviously I didn't say that.

In that case, yeah, I could see it. Though really, the Warriors had trouble stopping the Cavs in the final few games of the finals this year and it didn't really matter.

Well, I don't think I mentioned Bird specifically, but everyone seems to be picking on him.

Anyway, the one Bird play that stood out was against Philly (I think); he got a rebound or steal on the left side of the court, dribbled all the way down that side of the court with his right hand, (kind of awkwardly on that side of the floor) and nailed a jumper to win the game. It just struck me is all.
He and Magic are the guys that stand out the most because they, along with the franchises, were the focus of the piece.

Also, it may seem that they rarely used the left necause it's a bunch of highlights, and most of them are right handed. I think if we picked highlights from a decades worth of plays for anyone, most of them would be on their strong hand.