Requiem for the Big East | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Requiem for the Big East

The WVU board is in an uproar over their segment. It's a nice read especially considering one poster over there, who is one of the worst internet posters I've come across, is irate.

Overall I loved the documentary. It showed what the Big East is about but I wish they showed a little more about the mid-to late 2000's and how good the BET was then. I was thoroughly entertained though. A lot of Syracuse air time is always a good thing.

I love that UConn was only talked about as a scrub team who got good because they were strongarmed into televising everyone.

And that was like the only mention of them. Pretty much sums up what their fans don't seem to understand!

Emotional ending. For me anyway. Probably good closure.

That was phenomenal.
Amazing stuff. It's a rare day when I actually watch the credits with interest.

Good posts--feel like it is definitely closure, at least to a degree.

Maybe its just that we've just "completed" our first full year [football and hoops] in the ACC, so in a sense we're already one year removed from the Big East.

Dang... I'm happy that we are benefiting from the stability of the ACC, but I'm really going to miss the Big East. The old Big East--the real conference, not the non-regional monstrosity it became. There won't be anything like it ever again.

Last edited:
Didn't see this in full - what I saw was great (although I wonder if non cuse/GT fans feel ignored) - did they go into any detail about BC, Miami and VPI leaving?

Mike Humes ‏@MikeHumesESPN 1m
if you missed Requiem for the Big East, will be on ESPN2 at 11:30pm ET tonight

Didn't see this in full - what I saw was great (although I wonder if non cuse/GT fans feel ignored) - did they go into any detail about BC, Miami and VPI leaving?

They mentioned it.

I would like to purchase the dvd. I wonder if it will be available.

How many times have you seen a college player choke another player? I'm 58 and seen it twice. Both times Ewing. Won't bother listing all the other acts of thuggery by that crew. As to academics, it's amazing some kids at the time were ineligible to compete due to academics, but a kid that couldn't read wasn't. We ca discuss Graham too if you'd like. I have zero respect for Thompson's fraudulent treatment of academics and the thugs he brought in only to then play the race card.

Whatever you say sir. I'm a child of the 90's so I clearly don't have the hatred for Georgetown that you and many older posters on here do. But to say Ewing didn't deserve to go to college comes off like sounding very snobbish at the best, borderline prejudiced at the worst. Wonder what you would have said about Mullin. Seems to me I saw him throwing plenty of 'bows in that doc too.

Last edited:
All good things must come to the end. I wouldnt blame the leaders/presidents for chasing the football money. The Big East conference was founded because of basketball and football followed. Seems like they made huge mistake by not trying to acquire better football schools early on. I.e. not accepting Penn St because they didnt have a good basketball program. Who knows how the league would of ended up if Penn St had joined.

Or alternatively, the basketball onlies in our league ruined everything by not having the foresight to vote Penn State into the Big East Conference.

Right, the old Georgetown AD can smugly say Penn State didn't do anything for Georgetown and it wasn't his problem to fix Syracuse's football problem. But we're the bad guy for fixing our problem.

Whatever you say sir. I'm a child of the 90's so I clearly don't have the hatred for Georgetown that you and many older posters on here do. But to say Ewing didn't deserve to go to college comes off like sounding very snobbish at the best, borderline prejudiced at the worst. Wonder what you would have said about Mullin. Seems to me I saw him throwing plenty of 'bows in that doc too.

Hak, I think you are right in the main with the social statement you are trying to make. But in this instance, I'm not sure that you are.

Are you familiar with Reggie Williams famous post game interview? Not all of those players were legitimate student athletes. Thompson was a huge opponent of minimum qualification standards--with good reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom