Requiem is on right now Espn2 | Syracusefan.com

Requiem is on right now Espn2

I loved watching it the first time but will just feel sad watching it again if that makes sense
It does. It’s like watching video of your father after he died. It makes you feel good about how much you loved him but in the end your really upset because you miss him so bad

That single move doomed the Big East. Amazing the bball only schools were that short sighted.
Paterno not wanting to play the Eastern Independents as equals killed the Eastern all-sports League.
If Penn State would have treated BC/Pitt/SU as equals then VPI/WVU/Miami/Rutgers becomes a strong 8 team all sports league and Maryland becomes a possible 9th.

Penn State would have just parked it’s basketball in the Big East till Paterno got the best deal for their football program.

The Big East was never going to last when it had football and nonfootball schools. It lasted as long as it did because the football schools were added.

Yeah, I like being in the ACC and especially since it was our life preserver for relevancy, but not letting Penn St join the Big East killed the conference.
I equate it to believing in Santa or going to college its an amazing time but at some point things change and you have to move on.

I loved watching it the first time but will just feel sad watching it again if that makes sense

Nothing but great memories. Of course being a townie, going to Geneseo in the early 80s, watching the games at the Vital, being in DC for a couple of games in the mid 80s, and SU law after it was so ingrained in my life

That’s when hoops mattered

Yeah, I like being in the ACC and especially since it was our life preserver for relevancy, but not letting Penn St join the Big East killed the conference.
That single move doomed the Big East. Amazing the bball only schools were that short sighted.

Gavitt was always a basketball guy. He had no interest in running a football conference.

Otherwise, he would have invited PSU to be an original member back in 1979.

foosball is the devil !

f69121efebbfa0b8d7b0472102068ffb.jpg

busted up the greatest basketball conference ever assembled.

Gavitt was always a basketball guy. He had no interest in running a football conference.

Otherwise, he would have invited PSU to be an original member back in 1979.
Most of the big east guys were bball guys and I get it. If your from. Grown prov or Seton hall why would you care about football.

I understand why we are in the ACC but it still pains me that no major conference represents the northeastern United States. It's not like no one lives here.
need to split off and form a great lakes northern conference. closer than the coast.

I've watched Requiem 3 or 4 times. The beginning is always uplifting. Just thinking about those teams, coaches and players is almost like a fantasy that some of us were privileged to see.
The end however, just hits your gut. I feel a little like JB said about the depth of his feelings in losing the Big East.
Such and sweet and sour deal.

need to split off and form a great lakes northern conference. closer than the coast.

I want the ACC to have North -South Divisions. That would be a step forward.

I want the ACC to have North -South Divisions. That would be a step forward.

Ain't happening. And it would be a disaster for hoops for anyone to be separated from UNC / Duke.

Ain't happening. And it would be a disaster for hoops for anyone to be separated from UNC / Duke.

There would still be games against the other division and plenty of rivalries within the division that would burn hotter than what we have now. Go to 16 and:

North - Boston College Connecticut, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech
South - Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami

That would be a lot better than what we have now. The north teams are our natural rivals.

Ah, yes, the Irish don't want to be in a conference for football. Maybe for the next contract? We can dream.

There would still be games against the other division and plenty of rivalries within the division that would burn hotter than what we have now. Go to 16 and:

North - Boston College Connecticut, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech
South - Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami

That would be a lot better than what we have now. The north teams are our natural rivals.

Ah, yes, the Irish don't want to be in a conference for football. Maybe for the next contract? We can dream.

UConn isn't in the ACC, and UVa's longest rival apparently is UNC.

When those schools get 36k in the Dome like Duke does, or for that matter playing Clemson in football which is now must see...

You can have North-South divisions for football but none for basketball. It only matters in football.

EDIT - issue in football is you can’t put Miami and FSU both in the same division. Not sure Miami wants to go to “North” to create a de facto “Big East” division.

Last edited:

I generally like the concept of North-South divisions...but holy cow your version of it is horrific.

I enjoy having UConn in the wilderness.

I think this is what they call a Pavlovian response.

Step 1 - The put play "Requiem for The Big East" on TV.
Step 2 - Some SU fans have nostalgia attacks that transform into complaints about all it all went down. Even though we all know there was little that could be done and that SU ended up as ell as we could expect.
Step 3 - Attempts at re-writing history about Penn State start. The favorite version seems to be that if only if we had allowed PSU in the Big East the conference would have been saved.
Step 4 - SU fans start designing an ACC that they would prefer with a Division that oddly resembles the old Eastern Indies minus PSU.

It's fine. I just wonder how many times this has been repeated on here.

It seems to happen at ACC / BE tourney time too.

Anyone who was around during all of this will recall that Joe Paterno was not interested in any school's future or benefit other than PSU's and he certainly had zero love for SU.

Last edited:

Virginia is not going to play in a division of the former. Big East schools.
Miami would prefer playing in the North as it’s a private school full of northeast students and alumni.

UVA would go to the Big Ten before it got stuck in this type of deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom