Returning Seniors Checklist | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Returning Seniors Checklist

Nice! Must be a good sign if the team's backup FOGO wants to return this badly. Hopefully the first of many (or at least three or four). Varello was having a good season in '20, having two strong face-off guys is hugely beneficial for a team.

0009D32E-ACC5-4C1E-9435-216E0E6638B6.jpeg

Helmer?
That’s my thought. I’m wondering if the plan is to move Brett Kennedy back to LSM, freeing up a starting spot at close alongside DePietro & Murphy & possibly even being a reason Fernandez is exploring his options. It was mentioned at least twice by Beardsley during broadcasts that Kennedy “hates” playing close-d.

Kennedy was putting “we before me” & filling a team need by playing close, especially after Mellen went down, but he’s got the potential to be the nation’s best LSM.

Last edited:
That’s my thought. I’m wondering if the plan is to move Brett Kennedy back to LSM, freeing up a starting spot at close alongside DePietro & Murphy & possibly even being a reason Fernandez is exploring his options. It was mentioned at least twice by Beardsley during broadcasts that Kennedy “hates” playing close-d.

Barring a major acquisition via the transfer portal I think Kennedy will stay at close as the #1 defender. He remains the #1 cover guy.

Barring a major acquisition via the transfer portal I think Kennedy will stay at close as the #1 defender. He remains the #1 cover guy.
Interesting. Maybe Fernandez leaving bumps Helmer into position to start at LSM, though I know the staff’s high on Clary & Page. I’ve personally always viewed Helmer as a top notch LSM who was stuck behind Kennedy & Fernandez & then converted to fill the void at SSDM. He showed flashes at LSM as a R-Frosh, including the clutch strip of Joel Tinney in the final seconds at Homewood to preserve the game.

A chance to start/contribute majorly for a title contender coupled with the tuition discount could certainly make his decision a bit harder...allegedly :)

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just the quarantine getting to me but it’s kind of odd that the official SU Men’s Lax Twitter/IG accounts have yet to post Porter’s comeback declaration. It seems the graphics were done by the school just like with Mellen & Varello but Drake’s news was posted on his personal IG & then tweeted by Inside Lacrosse rather than SU. I’m guessing the school wanted to “break” it & he jumped the gun.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just the quarantine getting to me but it’s kind of odd that the official SU Men’s Lax Twitter/IG accounts have yet to post Porter’s comeback declaration. It seems the graphics were done by the school just like with Mellen & Varello but Drake’s news was posted on his personal IG & then tweeted by Inside Lacrosse rather than SU. I’m guessing the school wanted to “break” it & he jumped the gun.

Happy? ;)

I'll be honest. I want them all back but if I had to prioritize . . . :)