Returning Seniors Checklist | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Returning Seniors Checklist

I think at this point I’d be shocked if anyone decided to leave. Maybe some of the players that didn’t contribute/play much but it seems like it’s building up to be a big return for us.

Still wouldn’t be shocked to see rehfuss - only one that wouldn’t shock me.

I'm going to say something that may not be well accepted here and it's nothing personal but I'd prefer Rehfuss doesn't return. I'd prefer to let Hiltz come in and start from Day 1 and possibly bring in a 5th year Sr. like Bertrand.

Literally nothing against Rehfuss but I've always found him to be inconsistent. He's a great feeder but not a true dodging threat/initiator.

Think Derek Fischer was the optimal guard on five championship teams?

You dont turn over the keys to a rook when you are seeking a national championship. If Hiltz is that good then he will play whoever is on the team. Maybe he eventually starts with Refhuss and Scanlan.

Refhuss aint Sowers but he's an established vet who fits what we do.

Keeping him is a plus and obv the best player should play but that doesn’t always work out like that.
Keeping him creates a bigger log jam and potentially more frustrations at the log jam that could be transfers.
And if he leaves it opens up a spot for sowers - just an idea.
But we can definitely move around the attack and midfield.
There’s so many scenarios that we can come up with.
btw, never got the attraction of Anna Kendricks . To each their own lol

Keeping him is a plus and obv the best player should play but that doesn’t always work out like that.
Keeping him creates a bigger log jam and potentially more frustrations at the log jam that could be transfers.
And if he leaves it opens up a spot for sowers - just an idea.
But we can definitely move around the attack and midfield.
There’s so many scenarios that we can come up with.

To me the Rhefuss thing is the biggest question for next year's team. Obviously it would simplify things if chose not to return, Hiltz easily slides into the left haded role of the offense and things go as planned (at least I have to imagine this was the plan). But I do think there is an opportunity here - there is nothing that says the offense next year can't be Hiltz, Rhefuss and Scanlan on attack, that gives you two lefties and a righty on attack, which I think is doable.

I haven't seen enough film on Hiltz to be anywhere near an expert, but my understanding at least is that he operates mostly from the lefty wing - Rhefuss is very comfortable operating from behind the cage. Obviously this might make things awkward for Griffin Cook, and I don't want to diminish his contributions, but if Hiltz is the player we think/hope he is, he should be able to beat him out. Just have to hope that Desko plays the best player and doesn't get cute with roster management/trying to make everyone happy. I too am worried about a second Wisnauskus, but the future Maryland transfer wasn't as highly rated as Hiltz is, and have to hope the staff learned from that error. Anyways this seems like a good problem to have and bodes well for the teams prospects next year.

FWIW it looks like there were new highlights added to Hiltz's Hudl page. Again, it doesn't look like he plays behind the net much at all.

I’ve been a Griffin Cook detractor on this board after his freshman year, however he played a roll this year that I think was vital to the teams success and I wouldn’t write him off as being so easy to replace by Hiltz. The way he caused turnovers in the riding game was phenomenal. He was offensively challenged at times but I’d love to see the stats on how many times we scored off a caused turnover of his. Hiltz will most likely be a better offensive weapon but I think special teams have glue guys like Cook who do the dirty work. I also think when a team has a guy who rides like he does it positively affects the other two attackman. Not to mention how it boosts moral on the sidelines. We have the best first midfield in the country we don’t need Cook to score 50 goals. But if he could get 30-40 points and 15 CT I don’t know, there is something about that kid. He won me over this year and I really would like to see him back starting next year.

I’ve been a Griffin Cook detractor on this board after his freshman year, however he played a roll this year that I think was vital to the teams success and I wouldn’t write him off as being so easy to replace by Hiltz. The way he caused turnovers in the riding game was phenomenal. He was offensively challenged at times but I’d love to see the stats on how many times we scored off a caused turnover of his. Hiltz will most likely be a better offensive weapon but I think special teams have glue guys like Cook who do the dirty work. I also think when a team has a guy who rides like he does it positively affects the other two attackman. Not to mention how it boosts moral on the sidelines. We have the best first midfield in the country we don’t need Cook to score 50 goals. But if he could get 30-40 points and 15 CT I don’t know, there is something about that kid. He won me over this year and I really would like to see him back starting next year.
entirely agree. Cook's influence was much broader than his goals and assists.

If Hiltz is the player we hope he is, have to agree that Rehfuss returning is less appealing ..otherwise someone is not going to be happy here

Seebold is basically done except to run the clock out in certain situations as he’s proven valuable in holding on with his size under intense pressure ..won’t be surprised to see his name in the portal unless the legacy thing just keeps him holding on

Hope they don’t try to run Cook with the 2nd line mid group but would it be shocked with the promise of coming back down after Rehfuss leaves

Of course there is always the option that Hiltz accepts the redshirt but depends on if he is willing to wait, needs grooming or is a team first guy ..

If Hiltz is the player we hope he is, have to agree that Rehfuss returning is less appealing ..otherwise someone is not going to be happy here

Seebold is basically done except to run the clock out in certain situations as he’s proven valuable in holding on with his size under intense pressure ..won’t be surprised to see his name in the portal unless the legacy thing just keeps him holding on

Hope they don’t try to run Cook with the 2nd line mid group but would it be shocked with the promise of coming back down after Rehfuss leaves

Of course there is always the option that Hiltz accepts the redshirt but depends on if he is willing to wait, needs grooming or is a team first guy ..

n let's not overlook Birtwhistle who offers size and skills that can be as good as any. Looks like he could be run at attack or mid

He's blown up big time the last few years, staff went after him immediately after a flip and scholarship money opened up.

He's blown up big time the last few years, staff went after him immediately after a flip and scholarship money opened up.
Watch a young Solomon lighting it up at UNC from the start and one of these two young recruits might be able to do same .

Ultimately I think we just need to be patient and trust the coaching staff to play the best guys. It’s a good problem to have. I think Seebold was showing things and wouldn’t have been surprised to see him contribute as the season moved on.

Cook is tricky, I absolutely think he brings the level of intensity of the attack unit up, and he shows flashes of really nice play. But a really high level attack man really could take this offense to the next level. It’s really rare to see a starting attackman benched though (as we’ve seen it takes a Randy Staats level of talent). I don’t know what the answer is but I hope the staff keeps an open mind, and all options open.

Staff is going to have a big roster next year with a lot of guys anxious to play. It can’t help that you’ll have freshmen coming in and be asked to redshirt. They’ll be wanting to make up for lost time. I feel like they should have a JV team next year that could play DII and DIII teams to keep fresh and busy. Wonder if they ask some kids to prep school? In his recent interview Porter said Syracuse is well prepared for this since they ask kids to redshirt more than most, but I have to say this is a whole new ball game.

Ultimately I think we just need to be patient and trust the coaching staff to play the best guys. It’s a good problem to have. I think Seebold was showing things and wouldn’t have been surprised to see him contribute as the season moved on.

Cook is tricky, I absolutely think he brings the level of intensity of the attack unit up, and he shows flashes of really nice play. But a really high level attack man really could take this offense to the next level. It’s really rare to see a starting attackman benched though (as we’ve seen it takes a Randy Staats level of talent). I don’t know what the answer is but I hope the staff keeps an open mind, and all options open.

Staff is going to have a big roster next year with a lot of guys anxious to play. It can’t help that you’ll have freshmen coming in and be asked to redshirt. They’ll be wanting to make up for lost time. I feel like they should have a JV team next year that could play DII and DIII teams to keep fresh and busy. Wonder if they ask some kids to prep school? In his recent interview Porter said Syracuse is well prepared for this since they ask kids to redshirt more than most, but I have to say this is a whole new ball game.
JV team would help guys stay sharp. But that would eat up a year of eligibility.

1587400883192.png