Reuter and Shayok transferring from Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reuter and Shayok transferring from Virginia

In addition to Guy and Jerome, don't forget we also redshirted two top 60 players (Jay Huff and DeAndre Hunter) this past year. Bennett sits down with each player after the year is over to talk about their roles heading into next year. Would not surprise me if Shayok and Thompson are hearing things they don't like. They were our two least efficient scorers from this past year. It's obviously never a good thing when players transfer out but sounds like they wouldn't get a ton of PT next year anyways.

Thanks, I forgot about the two kids you redshirted this season. Sounds like Tony probably told them they would have competition for their starting rolls and PT. They both seemed very inconsistent to me. Physically talented guys who would play well/aggressively on offense sometimes but not consistently. As fans that is pretty frustration because you see the potential if they were consistent. As a coach its got to be even more frustrating.

Thanks, I forgot about the two kids you redshirted this season. Sounds like Tony probably told them they would have competition for their starting rolls and PT. They both seemed very inconsistent to me. Physically talented guys who would play well/aggressively on offense sometimes but not consistently. As fans that is pretty frustration because you see the potential if they were consistent. As a coach its got to be even more frustrating.

Yep. Couldn't have said it better myself. Some guys show flashes here and there but the inconsistency is frustrating. Neither Shayok nor Thompson were highly ranked prospects so I'm hoping the top 60 recruits coming in are legit. I'll be happy if Thompson ultimately stays but he's not a HUGE loss either. Tony has done a nice job replacing the previous transfers (and we've had a lot of them in his tenure) so I'm hopeful we'll continue down the same path.

Yep. Couldn't have said it better myself. Some guys show flashes here and there but the inconsistency is frustrating. Neither Shayok nor Thompson were highly ranked prospects so I'm hoping the top 60 recruits coming in are legit. I'll be happy if Thompson ultimately stays but he's not a HUGE loss either. Tony has done a nice job replacing the previous transfers (and we've had a lot of them in his tenure) so I'm hopeful we'll continue down the same path.

I think losing Nichols early this year sort of screwed you guys from being able to play inside out this year. I though Bennett did a good job overcoming that.

I think losing Nichols early this year sort of screwed you guys from being able to play inside out this year. I though Bennett did a good job overcoming that.

Agreed. All things considered, a top 5 seed in the dance and a second round exit to a 4 seed isn't too bad. It's more just the way we lost that stings. That was ugly lol.

In addition to Guy and Jerome, don't forget we also redshirted two top 60 players (Jay Huff and DeAndre Hunter) this past year. Bennett sits down with each player after the year is over to talk about their roles heading into next year. Would not surprise me if Shayok and Thompson are hearing things they don't like. They were our two least efficient scorers from this past year. It's obviously never a good thing when players transfer out but sounds like they wouldn't get a ton of PT next year anyways. It could be an issue in the short term but hopefully it works out for all parties in the long run.

So if Bennett does go to IU will Guy go with him, as he is from Indiana I believe.

I would assume so. Ugh don't even want to think about that.

Do you think Bennett is figuring out he needs to incorporate more offense into his game strategy? I know you guys lost Nichols this year, but is their a thought that a lack of scoring is leading to your programs early exits in the tournament? I like Bennett, just curious as an opposing fan.

Do you think Bennett is figuring out he needs to incorporate more offense into his game strategy? I know you guys lost Nichols this year, but is their a thought that a lack of scoring is leading to your programs early exits in the tournament? I like Bennett, just curious as an opposing fan.

I think he'd have to be completely clueless to be unaware of our offensive issues. He's even shown that he's willing to sacrifice defense for offense when he inserted Jerome and Guy into the starting lineup this year. I'm not exactly sure how to explain the early exits from the tourney. Some of it is poor offense. Some of it is bad luck (Michigan State). Some of it is Malachi Richardson. The funny thing is this is actually the one year UVA played to seed. We were a 5 seed and went out in the 2nd round to a 4 seed. I'm still hopeful that we can go deep in the tourney under Bennett but he's obviously got to change some things.

and the thing is, if Bennett is all of a sudden trying to stress offense, Thompson/Shayok were two of their more effective (if inconsistent) offensive players of their returning guys - doesn't make any sense to me

wow I don't care how you spin it, there's no way in he11 Bennett wanted Shayok/Thompson to leave... building a team around a couple streaky shooters and a couple of decent redshirt frosh is, um, not a recipe for success

I didn't say Bennett wanted them to leave. He didn't force them out. Losing 3 players to transfer is never a good thing. But let's not pretend like Shayok and Thompson all All-ACC players either. It's not like we won't fill those scholarships. We'll still be 9 deep next year and that's if we don't add a single player to the roster.

and the thing is, if Bennett is all of a sudden trying to stress offense, Thompson/Shayok were two of their more effective (if inconsistent) offensive players of their returning guys - doesn't make any sense to me

Literally were the 2 least efficient offensive players on the team.

see this is why I can't help but snicker a little bit at uva fans of late - like uva is some kind of selector school now and they can just lose quality players and reload.
nope.
Bennett (whom I respect a ton) is a system coach and guys have to be in that system for multiple years for it to work. look what happened with the loss of Tobey, Brogdon and Gill. look at how the new "studs" this year - Diakite/Guy/Jerome - struggled throughout the season...
yeah good luck w that

see this is why I can't help but snicker a little bit at uva fans of late - like uva is some kind of selector school now and they can just lose quality players and reload.
nope.
Bennett (whom I respect a ton) is a system coach and guys have to be in that system for multiple years for it to work. look what happened with the loss of Tobey, Brogdon and Gill. look at how the new "studs" this year - Diakite/Guy/Jerome - struggled throughout the season...
yeah good luck w that

You're putting words in my mouth. I admitted that it is a tough loss to lose 3 transfers. And I definitely don't think we're a selector school. But Shayok and Thompson have just not progressed enough. It's not like I was begging for them to transfer. But I'm not going to think the world is ending because a couple of role players decided to try to get minutes elsewhere for their last year of eligibility.

If uva redshirted two top 60 guys that's amazing. They redshirted Diakite last year and he was top 30.

You're putting words in my mouth. I admitted that it is a tough loss to lose 3 transfers. And I definitely don't think we're a selector school. But Shayok and Thompson have just not progressed enough. It's not like I was begging for them to transfer. But I'm not going to think the world is ending because a couple of role players decided to try to get minutes elsewhere for their last year of eligibility.
If you are promoting the concept of rational thought you picked the wrong message board

FWIW, Thompson and Shayok should not be lumped together, IMO. The loss of Thompson hurts more. You could predict how well he would perform in any given game (offensively) by whether or not he hit, or missed, his first two shots. If he made them, he was good for double digits, and the coaches would keep him on the floor. If he missed them, his confidence tanked, he would lose his aggression, and he would see fewer minutes. However, beyond that, he was an exceptional passer, had great court vision, and his ball handling was superb. He contributed in a lot of ways. Shayok, on the other hand, was the player that most easily could get to the rim and finish consistently. However, his ball handling was suspect, and he struggled with unforced turnovers (especially in the open court). He was not a great passer, either. I think he wanted to be a volume shooter on a team that demanded more efficiency. Additionally, he accepted an offer from Iowa State this past weekend. I keep hoping Thompson will change his mind. If he is really looking for a graduate program UVa doesn't offer, then I applaud his decision to put education first. (When his transfer was announced, I had thought he might want to go to Missouri to be reunited with Cuonzo Martin, but that is appearing less likely.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom