Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars...

Review: Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Islay single malt scotch Cask Strength
ardbeg-corryvreckan-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10390342.jpg

So this is a cask strength scotch; a single malt fron the Islay region of Scotland. Ardbeg makes famously peaty and oily scotches, in fact some of the most phenolic deliveries around. ABV = 57.1% so be prepared. I personally can't stomach those who dilute a cask strength with water. Sack up and drink it as is.

Notes: huge peat and oil themes, slick on the tongue. Very faint cloves, and almost indiscernible Tremendous mouthfeel. Burn is muted by near-hickory and char notes that are difficult to translate. Faint apple on the nose, but totally ephemeral - just sets you up for the oil delivery. Wonderful peppery burn on the lips; the high ABV guarantees same. Sweet slick alcohol, a marriage of woody cinnamon and superior cognac (e.g. Pierre Ferrand - I can review these later if the board wants) on the back end - but again so fleeting due to the astronomical ABV. Fourth sip is so smooth; this is just a tremendous drink. Has turned velvety-pins and the ABV makes it a near ghost-pepper on the lips. That said I know how to blunt and sweeten it: give me a moment to light a Rocky Patel 1992 (cigar)...

So I've lit and had a few draws on the RP; it's transformed the Corryvreckan into a much sweeter - in fact bordering on cloying - exercise. That said, let's give it time: no scotch of this caliber will be cowed by a twirl of tobacco.

Back at it. Less sweet; had several bites of thick cowboy ribeye: closer to rare than medium rare, I'd be happy to share my steak algorithm with interested parties: just let me know! The RP is mellowing the Corry nicely. I'm now extracting some tea notes - the Chinese "gunpowder" pellets come to mind.

Time to extract the deeper secrets of the Corryvreckan; heading outside onto my deck to drink in the cold crisp fall airs and watch the (slowly rebuilding) brown bat population pick off the mother ingcocksucking mosquitos... valiant bodyguards to the end, my fluttering friends.

Emptied the proper crystal tumbler, a full rendering requires a third "two fingers" pour.

Nose yields bark-apple with the slightest hints of pear, but better yet the tumbler ensconced in warm hands offers the same woody cinnamon notes along with something leathery (leathery yet snappy, reminds me of Devo's "Whip It" video): this is just an awesome experience. Frankly, I love good scotch...

I'm off to finish the RP 92 and a fair bit of Corryvreckan. The Corry is just a great cask strength and well worth the price point of $89.99 / bottle - totally reasonable given that this is pure unalduterated awesomesauce.

I hope folks read this review and if it resonates please post affirmatively; I have a retinue of retinae (a thousand eyes and one for the ASOIAF readers) to deploy in these pursuits.

Enjoy and indulge -

- MCC

Now this is good reading.

Next: Bruichladdich, please.

Review: Rocca delle Macie chianti classico riserva 2010. $18.99.

2010roccadellemaciechianticlassico.jpg

Apologies for the huge image - wanted to make sure folks got a clear view of the label.

So I'm drinking this with a ribeye and home-made fries. Wanted a brunello but couldn't find the one I was after so went with a dry sangiovese with sufficient ABV (14%) to hold the line.

[NB: ribeye algorithm: prime dry aged cut 2 inches thick (the local Wegman's cuts it for me). Season with pink himalayan sea salt and garlic, a little of Roufus' dry rub. Let sit at room temp for 30 mins. Get grill to 700F. Grill 100s per side, don't mind occasional flare ups as they yield a nice char due to Maillard reactions from small amounts of brown sugar in the rub. Take off, put in iron skillet, cover with Al3+ foil and set aside for 14 mins. Let grill settle at 415F and then put skillet back in but be sure to remove foil. Grill 7 mins per side and it should come out a nice medium rare (closer to rare than medium but fat should be rendered). Let stand for 5 mins only - then deploy a non-serrated knife of suitable length. I cannot abide serrated knives...]

Back to the wine: somewhat fruit forward but I get hints of a barolo-like florality on the nose. I actually seek out this chianti for that reason - it departs from the standard brickish blackfruit nose, and has a significantly smoother mouthfeel than you'd expect from a fairly dry sangiovese. This is a young wine and decanting would let it open; I elected to eschew the decanter and pour into a nice barolo glass and let sit for 10 mins before I got to it. As an aside, the whole decanting thing has become obstreperous: totally unnecessary for older wines on their "last gasp", and overrated ("Not ten ing games! Not ten! These other guys just weren't ready.") for wines suspected to have sediment. I do think it makes sense for younger wines that you'll pour in toto for a group of guests: you give the wine a bit of time to flower.

So I also get some pleasant leather and black currant on the nose. Presents a dark ruby red, not opaque. Meniscus is firm with nice parallel tears. Easily distinguishable from similar robust (high ABV) blackfruit reds like malbecs based on (1) no blue meniscus, (2) slight brick-burn tang and (3) slight astringency due to drier grape.

A little one-dimensional on the tongue; I get the smooth blackfruit - fortunately falls well short of cloying - and a hint of alcohol-soaked raspberry. Some residual heat from the alcohol. No detectable tannins (not surprising). Can't pick up any earthiness or pepper - again, not surprising and rather characteristic of the region. Again I come back to the nose: it truly is captivating; chords of barolo and brunello - a really nice delivery. I think this wine would stand up very well to some choice mushrooms and cheese... in fact, I have a properly aged Cambozola (a German blue and truly underrated IMO) in my fridge. Swirling wine with the right, spaldeened the cheese with the left...

The slightly dry red does well to partition the salt from the tang of the Cambozola. Each enhances the better qualities of the other. And here is probably where this review is best ended: the 2010 Rocca delle Macie chianti classico riserva offers an unexpected but outstanding nose, and more than holds its own on the olfactory front (pipe this stuff in to my bedroom at night). On the palate it shows well but isn't memorable. However, when wedded to a proper blue - born of tang and salt - this wine really shines. It certainly stood up to and enhanced the ribeye. I'd suggest tabling this wine with non-gamey meats and tangy, salty cheeses. Given its proclivity to barolo-like flowering, one might serve mushroon caps with a melted gruyere or stilton as an appetizer. At $18.99 I think it's fair value, with the 14% ABV putting it over the top (nothing's worse than an underpowered red).

Hope this write-up was entertaining and I'd be honored if it informed some decisions at your local wine shop.

Nice! And thanks. This could be a winner because I get as much enjoyment from the bouquet as I do the taste.

Not only that, this is the first time today I've read "eschew" and "obstreperous" in the same paragraph!

I'm one of a dying breed. Give me my corn cob pipe, some Frog Morton Cellar pipe tobacco, and I'm a happy camper.
Oh yes, wine, beer and bourbon is also on my menu.

Review: Mikkeller's "beer geek" Brunch Weasel. Imperial Oatmeal Stout. 10.9%ABV. 11.2oz (330mL).

"Let me tell you something, dude: thank you, but I've recorded in... Denmark."

Beer_Geek_Brunch_weasel_Brewbuzz-6.jpg

So this is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout brewed with coffee, and yes: to my knowledge the coffee is actually derived from beans (berries, actually) consumed and digested by civets. This is also the coffee used for the best-in-class Vietnamese coffees, and you know how those iced coffees roll.

This is a veritable monster at 10.9% ABV. Hugely expressive nose, oscillating between espresso, liquor and cherry mint. Wonderfully slick mouthfeel, with a backbone of roasted malt buttressing a pleasantly bitter biscotti/nut flavor - borders on anise, really, once distilled by the palate. The oatmeal presents itself primarily in the nose (a gorgeous buttery oat wafting) and in the rather ephemeral head (not surprising given the ABV). Despite the transitory foam, the Weasel does leave considerable stickage and gorgeous lacing on the glass. Although stouts are commonly poured in pint glasses (tumblers) I think it does this one a disservice: go with a mug or even the bomber wine glass (22 oz.) - better presentation for this bier and captures the nose nicely while concentrating the otherwise tremulous head. A very dark brew, this: I suspect in the 70+ range on the Lovibond scale (equal to SRM I believe). Essentially opaque. A vigorous pour does yield a richly hypnotic tan head.

I'd let this one warm up to 50 - 55F before drinking. Consuming when colder risks masking the slightly bitter mint notes and the burnt cherry that develops from the nose at warmer temps. As to food pairing: this isn't a bier I'd have with a meal. It's best enjoyed on its own or with some charcuterie, and I'm having a landjäger with mine. In the past I've enjoyed char-grilled skewers of filet or smoked duck with the Weasel. Kobe burger sliders on brioche with melted stilton and garlic aioli are a rather decadent complement.

In sum, this ranks as one of my most favorite biers. The one aspect that leaves me nonplussed is that Norway is referenced on the label, whereas Mikkeller ApS is known to be a Copenhagen, Denmark brewery. Unfortunately my evenings with the Weasel leave me rather less than motivated to determine which geography I should really thank for its expressions.

Hope this review is entertaining and would be honored to know folks were motivated to buy after reading.

Review: Mikkeller's "beer geek" Brunch Weasel. Imperial Oatmeal Stout. 10.9%ABV. 11.2oz (330mL).

So this is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout brewed with coffee, and yes: to my knowledge the coffee is actually derived from beans (berries, actually) consumed and digested by civets. This is also the coffee used for the best-in-class Vietnamese coffees, and you know how those iced coffees roll.

This is a veritable monster at 10.9% ABV. Hugely expressive nose, oscillating between espresso, liquor and cherry mint. Wonderfully slick mouthfeel, with a backbone of roasted malt buttressing a pleasantly bitter biscotti/nut flavor - borders on anise, really, once distilled by the palate. The oatmeal presents itself primarily in the nose (a gorgeous buttery oat wafting) and in the rather ephemeral head (not surprising given the ABV). Despite the transitory foam, the Weasel does leave considerable stickage and gorgeous lacing on the glass. Although stouts are commonly poured in pint glasses (tumblers) I think it does this one a disservice: go with a mug or even the bomber wine glass (22 oz.) - better presentation for this bier and captures the nose nicely while concentrating the otherwise tremulous head. A very dark brew, this: I suspect in the 70+ range on the Lovibond scale (equal to SRM I believe). Essentially opaque. A vigorous pour does yield a richly hypnotic tan head.

I'd let this one warm up to 50 - 55F before drinking. Consuming when colder risks masking the slightly bitter mint notes and the burnt cherry that develops from the nose at warmer temps. As to food pairing: this isn't a bier I'd have with a meal. It's best enjoyed on its own or with some charcuterie, and I'm having a landjäger with mine. In the past I've enjoyed char-grilled skewers of filet or smoked duck with the Weasel. Kobe burger sliders on brioche with melted stilton and garlic aioli are a rather decadent complement.

In sum, this ranks as one of my most favorite biers. The one aspect that leaves me nonplussed is that Norway is referenced on the label, whereas Mikkeller ApS is known to be a Copenhagen, Denmark brewery. Unfortunately my evenings with the Weasel leave me rather less than motivated to determine which geography I should really thank for its expressions.

Hope this review is entertaining and would be honored to know folks were motivated to buy after reading.

I enjoy your reviews and you get extra credit on this one for using the word 'nonplussed' correctly, but this particular entry sounds absolutely revolting. You couldn't pay me enough to drink an oatmeal stout brewed with coffee.

Reactions: MCC

That looks delicious. I like to drink stouts like this one as an after dinner drink. Heck for me, this would be a wonderful dessert. Thanks for the review.

That looks delicious. I like to drink stouts like this one as an after dinner drink. Heck for me, this would be a wonderful dessert. Thanks for the review.

After dinner drink? Proper stouts are good enough to BE dinner my friend!

After dinner drink? Proper stouts are good enough to BE dinner my friend!

Agreed. I thought that kind of went without saying. But I'm not one to miss a proper meal though.

Apologies for the huge image - wanted to make sure folks got a clear view of the label.

So I'm drinking this with a ribeye and home-made fries. Wanted a brunello but couldn't find the one I was after so went with a dry sangiovese with sufficient ABV (14%) to hold the line.

[NB: ribeye algorithm: prime dry aged cut 2 inches thick (the local Wegman's cuts it for me). Season with pink himalayan sea salt and garlic, a little of Roufus' dry rub. Let sit at room temp for 30 mins. Get grill to 700F. Grill 100s per side, don't mind occasional flare ups as they yield a nice char due to Maillard reactions from small amounts of brown sugar in the rub. Take off, put in iron skillet, cover with Al3+ foil and set aside for 14 mins. Let grill settle at 415F and then put skillet back in but be sure to remove foil. Grill 7 mins per side and it should come out a nice medium rare (closer to rare than medium but fat should be rendered). Let stand for 5 mins only - then deploy a non-serrated knife of suitable length. I cannot abide serrated knives...]

Back to the wine: somewhat fruit forward but I get hints of a barolo-like florality on the nose. I actually seek out this chianti for that reason - it departs from the standard brickish blackfruit nose, and has a significantly smoother mouthfeel than you'd expect from a fairly dry sangiovese. This is a young wine and decanting would let it open; I elected to eschew the decanter and pour into a nice barolo glass and let sit for 10 mins before I got to it. As an aside, the whole decanting thing has become obstreperous: totally unnecessary for older wines on their "last gasp", and overrated ("Not ten games! Not ten! These other guys just weren't ready.") for wines suspected to have sediment. I do think it makes sense for younger wines that you'll pour in toto for a group of guests: you give the wine a bit of time to flower.

So I also get some pleasant leather and black currant on the nose. Presents a dark ruby red, not opaque. Meniscus is firm with nice parallel tears. Easily distinguishable from similar robust (high ABV) blackfruit reds like malbecs based on (1) no blue meniscus, (2) slight brick-burn tang and (3) slight astringency due to drier grape.

A little one-dimensional on the tongue; I get the smooth blackfruit - fortunately falls well short of cloying - and a hint of alcohol-soaked raspberry. Some residual heat from the alcohol. No detectable tannins (not surprising). Can't pick up any earthiness or pepper - again, not surprising and rather characteristic of the region. Again I come back to the nose: it truly is captivating; chords of barolo and brunello - a really nice delivery. I think this wine would stand up very well to some choice mushrooms and cheese... in fact, I have a properly aged Cambozola (a German blue and truly underrated IMO) in my fridge. Swirling wine with the right, spaldeened the cheese with the left...

The slightly dry red does well to partition the salt from the tang of the Cambozola. Each enhances the better qualities of the other. And here is probably where this review is best ended: the 2010 Rocca delle Macie chianti classico riserva offers an unexpected but outstanding nose, and more than holds its own on the olfactory front (pipe this stuff in to my bedroom at night). On the palate it shows well but isn't memorable. However, when wedded to a proper blue - born of tang and salt - this wine really shines. It certainly stood up to and enhanced the ribeye. I'd suggest tabling this wine with non-gamey meats and tangy, salty cheeses. Given its proclivity to barolo-like flowering, one might serve mushroon caps with a melted gruyere or stilton as an appetizer. At $18.99 I think it's fair value, with the 14% ABV putting it over the top (nothing's worse than an underpowered red).

Hope this write-up was entertaining and I'd be honored if it informed some decisions at your local wine shop.
MCC, thanks for this. Now I gotta try it.

OMG, I gotta try this one to. Thanks!

Stout is not really my thing, however the "Kobe burger sliders on brioche with melted stilton and garlic aioli" piques my interest. That sounds 'decadent' no matter what you chase it with :)

Last edited:
Stout is not really my thing, however the "Kobe burger sliders on brioche with melted stilton and garlic aioli" piques my interest. That sounds 'decadent' no matter what you chase it with :)

Seriously. I'm not sure I could afford dining out with MCC on a regular basis, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try once in a while.

Seriously. I'm not sure I could afford dining out with MCC on a regular basis, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try once in a while.

I don't believe I've ever had Kobe, but this looks like a good way to begin. The only dilemma is, do I shovel off the deck or wait for the next chinook (think: the bbq)? :)

Back to the wine: somewhat fruit forward but I get hints of a barolo-like florality on the nose. I actually seek out this chianti for that reason - it departs from the standard brickish blackfruit nose, and has a significantly smoother mouthfeel than you'd expect from a fairly dry sangiovese. This is a young wine and decanting would let it open; I elected to eschew the decanter and pour into a nice barolo glass and let sit for 10 mins before I got to it. As an aside, the whole decanting thing has become obstreperous: totally unnecessary for older wines on their "last gasp", and overrated ("Not ten games! Not ten! These other guys just weren't ready.") for wines suspected to have sediment. I do think it makes sense for younger wines that you'll pour in toto for a group of guests: you give the wine a bit of time to flower.

Ya...so, is it good?

Review: Southern Tier Choklat. Imperial chocolate stout. 650 ml (22 oz bomber). 10.0% ABV.

upload_2014-11-11_21-11-31.png

So this is a very rich, sweet chocolate stout. The "Blackwater Series" appellation has naught to do with Tyrion's injury at the eponymous battle.

In short: a terrific bier if you're after melted milk chocolate in a glass. Really great stuff and eminently drinkable. Neither too thick nor too cloying; it does offer a faint hop bitterness that suggests cacao nibs rather than, say, Swiss milk chocolate. Nose is redolent of chocolate chip cookies (the kind packed with chips and relatively short of dough). Presents as an opaque Wonka-esque tankard; imagine a flourless chocolate cake melted and poured into your receptacle of choice.

Only mildly carbonated - again not surprising given this is a stout at high ABV. Transient mint notes on the palate. Finish suggests roasted malts and a hail mary pass from coffee. Very slick mouthfeel that coats the tongue and lingers. In light of the high ABV I decided to aspirate it over the tongue like one would a red wine: captured caramel and toffee, perhaps a sprig of spearmint. Very intriguing and a really pleasant surprise - thought the 5W30 nature of this thing would burble over the lighter, sweeter elements.

As to food pairing: not something I'd have a meal with. Small plates only: I planned ahead for this and made some Mexican-style pulled pork mini-enchiladas. I figured the Choklat would augment ( or even stand in) for some of the critical determinants of a mole poblano. We grew some (relatively tame) Ghost peppers in our backyard this year and they crush it in terms of spice and flavor. Thus I incorporated same into our mole with some grated dark chocolate (added only at the end of course). Very pleased with the outcome - exceedingly snackable.

I'd counsel letting this warm to 55F before imbibing: you want the rich chocolate taste to dominate and the roasty nose to emerge. Far more olfactory impact that way.

My wife elected to have some figs with the bier: in the end, too sweet. You really want some heat (chiles or similar) to balance out the dessert-like quality of this bier.

At $8.99 for a 650 mL - at 10% ABV no less - I consider this a steal.

[NB: do NOT confuse this with its sister bier, "Mokah", also by Southern Tier. I've had several bottles of Mokah and while drinkable it's not at all satisfying, nor does it excel in any one direction.]

As always, hope this was entertaining and if it encourages consumption of potent potables I'll be... happy.

Oh, the irony of this from a poster with a bovine avatar! That aside, sounds like you'd be an estimable dinner companion. Propitious Dionysian deliciousness forthwith.

No worries. I like to cook - and when out I like to pick up the tab. I'll have to pin you down next time I drive up to Montreal...

Found a 2012 today, also for $18.99, surprising given our dollar's recent performance. I picked it up as you alluded to "hints of barolo," which I simply adore. Gonna print your review and slide it underneath it on the rack for a few years. Sometimes I don't mind a young wine where the acid outweighs the fruit a little (especially a shiraz) so maybe I'll go back and get the last one to try in a year, then the second one in another year. Aw, who am I kidding, I'll probably be a vegetarian and in dialysis by then :) ...

Last edited:
Found a 2012 today, also for $18.99, surprising given our dollar's recent performance. I picked it up as you alluded to "hints of barolo," which I simply adore. Gonna print your review and slide it underneath it on the rack for a few years. Sometimes I don't mind a young wine where the acid outweighs the fruit a little (especially a shiraz) so maybe I'll go back and get the last one to try in a year, then the second one in another year. Aw, who am I kidding, I'll probably be a vegetarian and in dialysis by then :) ...

Too good a thread to let die ...

Brought home a yellowfin tuna steak, marinated it with vegetable oil, soya, fresh lemon (made Mrs. Moo go get a real one), dijon mustard, lemon zest, crushed garlic. Steak was an inch and a 1/4 think, did it 6 min/side. A little under done is better than a little over. Looking at pairing it, I almost went to the in-house standard Grange Phillipe Sauvignon Blanc, but the texture of the tuna and the strength of the marinade begged a red, if a bit toward the lighter. Everything else on the rack was weighty, cabs, merlots, cab-merlots, so I thought what the heck, do MCC's Rocca della Macie chianti (2012). Although young (and a tad toward the acidic - though I like that, btw), it still had enough fruit-centered character to be a really nice pairing with the tuna, sided with some light veggie fried rice, peppers, mushies, onions ... Now, I don't have your sense of palette, but they certainly both stood up beside each other, nicely balanced, and balance is what I look for in both the wine and the pairing. After dinner, with still a half a glass to talk across, I picked up on a smoky edge I hadn't noticed before. Or maybe it's just the window was open, what the heck, it's cold out here? Ha!

Don't let this dwindle, MCC and the rest of you!

Too good a thread to let die ...

Brought home a yellowfin tuna steak, marinated it with vegetable oil, soya, fresh lemon (made Mrs. Moo go get a real one), dijon mustard, lemon zest, crushed garlic. Steak was an inch and a 1/4 think, did it 6 min/side. A little under done is better than a little over. Looking at pairing it, I almost went to the in-house standard Grange Phillipe Sauvignon Blanc, but the texture of the tuna and the strength of the marinade begged a red, if a bit toward the lighter. Everything else on the rack was weighty, cabs, merlots, cab-merlots, so I thought what the heck, do MCC's Rocca della Macie chianti (2012). Although young (and a tad toward the acidic - though I like that, btw), it still had enough fruit-centered character to be a really nice pairing with the tuna, sided with some light veggie fried rice, peppers, mushies, onions ... Now, I don't have your sense of palette, but they certainly both stood up beside each other, nicely balanced, and balance is what I look for in both the wine and the pairing. After dinner, with still a half a glass to talk across, I picked up on a smoky edge I hadn't noticed before. Or maybe it's just the window was open, what the heck, it's cold out here? Ha!

Don't let this dwindle, MCC and the rest of you!

I had pizza and Yuengling tonight. All I got

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom