Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars...

I’ve been drinking a lot of orange wine lately. It’s made from various white grapes but fermented with the skin on to give an “orange” coloring.

It can get pretty funky with some tasting like straight up sauerkraut juice and others more subtle. It’s all a surprise haha

Ive gotten Cloudy Bay on several occasions at the recommendation of someone who knows way more about wine than me.

im lucky I don’t have a discerning pallet for this sort of thing. A 15 dollar bottle tastes the same as a 100 to me
I feel the same way. I usually go for the $15-20 range and is usually pretty good

I'm fairly new to cigars but I've never had a bad Oliva. If you're looking for something cheaper Diesel makes some great ones, but my favorite so far is the Liga Privada Unico Nasty Fritas. Odd looking but tons of sweet, non bitter smoke. Very satisfying! Available at Rocky's Cigars and News. There is something special about a cigar and a whiskey with friends.

I'm fairly new to cigars but I've never had a bad Oliva. If you're looking for something cheaper Diesel makes some great ones, but my favorite so far is the Liga Privada Unico Nasty Fritas. Odd looking but tons of sweet, non bitter smoke. Very satisfying! Available at Rocky's Cigars and News. There is something special about a cigar and a whiskey with friends.
Amen

If I’m buying white it’s Sav Blanc or get the f@&$ out

White wine rule number one: Never trust an Aussie with oak. Okay, that said ...

Most of the Kiwi Sauvignon Blancs are similar (like the Cloudy Bay) and nice enough if a little fruity, so for general sipping just get the one that's on sale. Babich makes one of the nicer ones from there. Greywacke is noticeably and wonderfully better balanced, but you'll pay for that.

The nicest affordable French Sauvignon Blanc I like is Grange Philippe, but there are lotsa. Typically French, not as fruit forward, but still well balanced. Almost a little "buttery" compared to the more fruity Kiwis. Also nice are French Viogniers, especially Domaine Mur-Mur-lum. Again, a little softer than American and especially Aussie style. (French oak is different from North American). Viogniers are the biggest of the whites, weighty but not heavy.

Villa Marie (NZ) Pinot Gris is quite nice. I also agree with the tout above for Dry Rieslings, but they're not as common as S-B's.

Italian Pinot Grigios are best suited for pairing with foods, and are not my favorite sipping stock.

I've mentioned before I like Pinot Blancs, and Glenora's (Finger Lakes) is very nice. Also their Seyval Blanc, which you'll only find upstate. My favorite PB out here is from St Hubertus. Their Chasselas is also a treat.

My favorite Italian white is a Tuscan Vermentino, from Prelius. Forza Azzurri can tell you more about it, but it's a delight.

Spanish whites I like are the Albarino (great with seafood), and a white Garnacha, made by Viaterra from the Terra Alta region. The Portugese Alvarino is the same thing as the Albarino, less expensive and just as nice.

Chardonnays are generally too persnickity for my tastes, with oak being quite variable from one to the next. Un-oaked Chards can be nice and pair well with fish, especially Atlantic salmon.

German whites generally run way too sweet for me, but they like them so what the heck. Although an Austrian Grüner Veltliner (it's dry) is easily worth the $20 they go for.

All the above should be in the $15-20 range, except the Greywacke, which is about $45 here, so you're looking at $30-35 I'd guess. So now you can't give me that S-B or nothing silliness anymore. :)

Last edited:

We can get Cubans here :). I like the Romeo y Julietas for my annual digression. ;)

White wine rule number one: Never trust an Aussie with oak. Okay, that said ...

Most of the Kiwi Sauvignon Blancs are similar (like the Cloudy Bay) and nice enough if a little fruity, so for general sipping just get the one that's on sale. Babich makes one of the nicer ones from there. Greywacke is noticeably and wonderfully better balanced, but you'll pay for that.

The nicest affordable French Sauvignon Blanc I like is Grange Philippe, but there are lotsa. Typically French, not as fruit forward, but still well balanced. Almost a little "buttery" compared to the more fruity Kiwis. Also nice are French Viogniers, especially Domaine Mur-Mur-lum. Again, a little softer than American and especially Aussie style. (French oak is different from North American). Viogniers are the biggest of the whites, weighty but not heavy.

Villa Marie (NZ) Pinot Gris is quite nice. I also agree with the tout above for Dry Rieslings, but they're not as common as S-B's.

Italian Pinot Grigios are best suited for pairing with foods, and are not my favorite sipping stock.

I've mentioned before I like Pinot Blancs, and Glenora's (Finger Lakes) is very nice. Also their Seyval Blanc, which you'll only find upstate. My favorite PB out here is from St Hubertus. Their Chasselas is also a treat.

My favorite Italian white is a Tuscan Vermentino, from Prelius. Forza Azzurri can tell you more about it, but it's a delight.

Spanish whites I like are the Albarino (great with seafood), and a white Garnacha, made by Viaterra from the Terra Alta region. The Portugese Alvarino is the same thing as the Albarino, less expensive and just as nice.

Chardonnays are generally too persnickity for my tastes, with oak being quite variable from one to the next. Un-oaked Chards can be nice and pair well with fish, especially Atlantic salmon.

German whites generally run way too sweet for me, but they like them so what the heck. Although an Austrian Grüner Veltliner (it's dry) is easily worth the $20 they go for.

All the above should be in the $15-20 range, except the Greywacke, which is about $45 here, so you're looking at $30-35 I'd guess. So now you can't give me that S-B or nothing silliness anymore. :)

Good stuff there...but I read it in this guy's voice:

f573854649b7eb898f2f4865c802e234.png

Not as much since I’ve not traveled like i have in the past. You?
Yeah, I just leveled out the “Untappd at home” badge at 100 tonight with a dark chocolate Porter from Boulder Beer. I may drink a few too many brews.

Drop me a DM if you want a follow; always looking to see what brews are out there outside N.C.

Followed the leads from this post. Got an Oliva.

Asked the guy at the local shop abt Liga Privada Unico Nasty Fritas... no luck but based on the name alone I’ll have to find it.

Last edited:
Well I'm in the market soon for some cigars for a friend's weekend. Any good recs for half a cigar? I've had the smaller Arturo Fuente in the past.

How about cuban Partagas Mille Fleurs. 5 1/8 inch by 42 ring gauge. On sale at Rsvp in Canada , 10 for $45 plus shipping.

And yes, they ship to the US with no problem. Shipping is $30. If you're in the Syracuse area and want to split the shipping charge, DM me.

Last edited:
I’ve been drinking a lot of orange wine lately. It’s made from various white grapes but fermented with the skin on to give an “orange” coloring.

It can get pretty funky with some tasting like straight up sauerkraut juice and others more subtle. It’s all a surprise haha
My wife had this for the first time Friday night. She really enjoyed it

It’s really good. I usually get an Italian that’s a little more effervescent
She had the bubbly version as well. Offered it at Burlington Beer Co when we were there this weekend.

Anyone hear ever try anything from Fidens Brewing Company? They sound right up my alley, and their offering Pigeon Camera will have a special place in my heart forever even if I never get to actually try one.

fidensbrewing-1000x700-1.jpg

Anyone hear ever try anything from Fidens Brewing Company? They sound right up my alley, and their offering Pigeon Camera will have a special place in my heart forever even if I never get to actually try one.

Replying for a Vermont question. Likely heading to Burlington in a few months. Lots of good brews to be had, what's realistic as far as travel? I know some good ones are a good drive away from Burlington.

Replying for a Vermont question. Likely heading to Burlington in a few months. Lots of good brews to be had, what's realistic as far as travel? I know some good ones are a good drive away from Burlington.
Good question. I'll start with Burlington and surrounding area and work my way out. These are the ones I'd make the trip for.

Burlington:
- Foam - Second favorite brewery in VT right now - lots and lots of Double IPAs - have their own restaurant right next door
- Burlington Beer Co. - wide variety of beers including doubles, etc but their new digs in the south end are the real attraction here
- Zero Gravity - good selection here as well and their tasting room is nice, but you'll likely end up sitting outside under heat lamps as they are being very covid cautious
- Queen City Brewing - not my favorite as they are much English and German styles but I know the owners so have to include them
- Switchback - more generic tasting at this point. Small tasting room - wouldn't bother - you can get this everywhere

Just outside of town:
- Four Quarters Brewing - Winooski - decent selection again but new tasting room is nice. Winooski has some really great restaurants as well, especially Sneakers for brunch
- Weird Window Brewing - Colchester/South Burlington - have only had a few selections, but their DIPA is nice
- Fiddlehead Brewing - Shelburne - some classics here that you've likely had before. Nice tasting room that has expanded with decent pizza next door
- Black Flannel - Essex - I'm not a fan of their beers - taste a bit bland to me like they are trying to not offend anyone, but their tasting room/restaurant is really nice. And their distillery attached is doing some really nice things with whisky.
- 1st Republic - Essex - Honestly haven't really tried their stuff much. Can't help with this one.
- Goodwater - Williston - Decent, but not worth going here over others.
- Frost - Hinesburg - Really underrated brewery that turns out consistently great beer for decent prices. Not much of a tasting room. Not far from Foams off-site pickup place either.

Stowe Area:
- Ten Bends Beer - Hyde Park - Truly some of the best beer going in VT right now. Love all of their stuff. Very small tasting room, but worth rolling by here to just get the good stuff.
- Lost Nation - Rock Art - Morrisville - Decent but not my style again. Would bypass unless you're a big German style fan
- Soulmate Brewing - Morrisville - haven't had anything from here yet.
- The Alchemist - Stowe - The original and still worth the trip. You can get Heady and Focal Banger pretty much anywhere, but the other styples they have there, like Skadoosh, Luscious, etc., are difficult to find elsewhere.
- von Trapp Bierhall - Stowe - German styles for sure, but the bierhall is beautiful for sure. Good food too. Tough to get into on a weekend with all the skiers and cross country folks.

Warren Area:
- Lawson's Finest Liquids - Warren - really nice place, but I'm just over their beers. Remind me so much of what happened to Magic Hat - not keeping up with new styles.
- Collaborative Brewing - small joint, but I've had some decent beers from here.

For what it's worth, I'm not a Hill Farmstead fan. I've never been, but I've been told it's beautiful. They use a yeast that causes a slight reaction in my throat that I don't care for.

Let me know if you have other questions and I'll find out what I can. As always, call ahead to all these places to see what their Covid restrictions might be.

Last edited:
Good question. I'll start with Burlington and surrounding area and work my way out. These are the ones I'd make the trip for.

Burlington:
- Foam - Second favorite brewery in VT right now - lots and lots of Double IPAs - have their own restaurant right next door
- Burlington Beer Co. - wide variety of beers including doubles, etc but their new digs in the south end are the real attraction here
- Zero Gravity - good selection here as well and their tasting room is nice, but you'll likely end up sitting outside under heat lamps as they are being very covid cautious
- Queen City Brewing - not my favorite as they are much English and German styles but I know the owners so have to include them
- Switchback - more generic tasting at this point. Small tasting room - wouldn't bother - you can get this everywhere

Just outside of town:
- Four Quarters Brewing - Winooski - decent selection again but new tasting room is nice. Winooski has some really great restaurants as well, especially Sneakers for brunch
- Weird Window Brewing - Colchester/South Burlington - have only had a few selections, but their DIPA is nice
- Fiddlehead Brewing - Shelburne - some classics here that you've likely had before. Nice tasting room that has expanded with decent pizza next door
- Black Flannel - Ess e x - I'm not a fan of their beers - taste a bit bland to me like they are trying to not offend anyone, but their tasting room/restaurant is really nice. And their distillery attached is doing some really nice things with whisky.
- 1st Republic - Ess e x - Honestly haven't really tried their stuff much. Can't help with this one.
- Goodwater - Williston - Decent, but not worth going here over others.
- Frost - Hinesburg - Really underrated brewery that turns out consistently great beer for decent prices. Not much of a tasting room. Not far from Foams off-site pickup place either.

Stowe Area:
- Ten Bends Beer - Hyde Park - Truly some of the best beer going in VT right now. Love all of their stuff. Very small tasting room, but worth rolling by here to just get the good stuff.
- Lost Nation - Rock Art - Morrisville - Decent but not my style again. Would bypass unless you're a big German style fan
- Soulmate Brewing - Morrisville - haven't had anything from here yet.
- The Alchemist - Stowe - The original and still worth the trip. You can get Heady and Focal Banger pretty much anywhere, but the other styples they have there, like Skadoosh, Luscious, etc., are difficult to find elsewhere.
- von Trapp Bierhall - Stowe - German styles for sure, but the bierhall is beautiful for sure. Good food too. Tough to get into on a weekend with all the skiers and cross country folks.

Warren Area:
- Lawson's Finest Liquids - Warren - really nice place, but I'm just over their beers. Remind me so much of what happened to Magic Hat - not keeping up with new styles.
- Collaborative Brewing - small joint, but I've had some decent beers from here.

For what it's worth, I'm not a Hill Farmstead fan. I've never been, but I've been told it's beautiful. They use a yeast that causes a slight reaction in my throat that I don't care for.

Let me know if you have other questions and I'll find out what I can. As always, call ahead to all these places to see what their Covid restrictions might be.

How are you not a 400-pound diabetic? Must be all the hoops.

How are you not a 400-pound diabetic? Must be all the hoops.
Luckily for me, my wife doesn't like beer, or visiting biergardens unless we just finished skiing or hiking.

Yes, read that with an appropriate amount of sarcasm in my voice.

Hard to get outside Albany. They did a collaboration IPA with Mortalis brewing out by me and it was absolutely stellar if you’re into the hazy IPAs, and who isn’t/

Fidens is excellent, there DIPA's are very much on the level of Tree House/Trillium and the Top VT breweries and I don't say that lightly. However, they are very difficult to get unless your local to Albany. They have zero distribution and they previously had can limits depending where you were line and would sell out very quickly.

Previously they would do some small releases during the week and Saturday was there big day. People were getting there at like 3 am or literally just spending the night and they would open up at like 6 or 7 am and begin selling. Now they switched things up after the 1st and are doing releases Wed, Thurs and Friday and whatever is left over is being sold on Sat and once it runs out they close (no taproom yet). Made life easier for the locals but killed off those coming from any sort of distance (they were getting a good amount) as Sat's are now a total crapshoot from week to week. I suspect they will have to modify again in the spring/summer. I hope to get there in the next few months once the weather improves a bit but the 4 I tried previously were all excellent.

Last edited:
Fidens is excellent, there DIPA's are very much on the level of Tree House/Trillium and the Top VT breweries and I don't say that lightly. However, they are very difficult to get unless your local to Albany. They have zero distribution and they previously had can limits depending where you were line and would sell out very quickly.

Previously they would do some small releases during the week and Saturday was there big day. People were getting there at like 3 am or literally just spending the night and they would open up at like 6 or 7 am and begin selling. Now they switched things up after the 1st and are doing releases Wed, Thurs and Friday and whatever is left over is being sold on Sat and once it runs out they close (no taproom yet). Made life easier for the locals but killed off those coming from any sort of distance (they were getting a good amount) as Sat's are now a total crapshoot from week to week. I suspect they will have to modify again in the spring/summer. I hope to get there in the next few months once the weather improves a bit but the 4 I tried previously were all excellent.

Looks dank and hazy, I'm surprised you haven't shared this before!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom