Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars...

splendid table sparkling wine recommendations under 20 bucks :

Spain

• Paul Cheneau Cava Blanc de Blancs Brut NV $10
  • Juve Y Camps Brut Cava NV $18
France

• Charles de Fère Brut NV $10
  • Lucien Albrecht Cremant d'Alsace Brut or Rosé NV $19
Italy

Australia

Germany

Austria

• Ewald Gruber Sparkling Gruner Veltliner NV $17
U.S.

MCC wrote:

"Meniscus is firm with nice parallel tears."

If the wine has a torn meniscus, shouldn't it be on the DL?

Wouldn't have legs to stand on...

ravines and glenora are both excellent values.

Glenora's Pinot Blanc is lovely. They also make an obscure varietal, Seyval Blanc, which is a little different and quite nice at $12. Their sister property is Knapp, also in the Finger Lakes.

Time to revive this one.

Anyone try anything new?

As for cigars i do like an occasional Ashton (898) or macanudo hampton courts. Connecticut shade. mild.

Bumping this thread:

This is absolutely the nicest sauvignon blanc I've ever had. Goes for about $17-18 Cdn. Excellent all around, nice with food, especially fish, and even better for sipping because of the balance between the fruit and acid. Once you've tried this one you won't go back to the other Kiwi SB's (Matua, Starborough, Kim Crawford etc.)

Black Label Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc | Babich Black Label | Babich Wines

739667.jpg

Bumping this thread:

This is absolutely the nicest sauvignon blanc I've ever had. Goes for about $17-18 Cdn. Excellent all around, nice with food, especially fish, and even better for sipping because of the balance between the fruit and acid. Once you've tried this one you won't go back to the other Kiwi SB's (Matua, Starborough, Kim Crawford etc.)

Black Label Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc | Babich Black Label | Babich Wines

Another NZ Sav Blanc that is not your run of the mill typical nz sav blanc but fairly easy to get is Dogpoint.

Do any of you use apps for alcohol? I do not, but I am wondering if there is a good one to track what you have easily (maybe with a bar code scanner) that may suggest other wines based upon how you rate things. Sort of like Good Reads but for booze. If this does not exist, does anyone want to develop an app with me?

Do any of you use apps for alcohol? I do not, but I am wondering if there is a good one to track what you have easily (maybe with a bar code scanner) that may suggest other wines based upon how you rate things. Sort of like Good Reads but for booze. If this does not exist, does anyone want to develop an app with me?

I use Untappd for beer. Helps me find good local places when I travel.

Review: Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Islay single malt scotch Cask Strength
ardbeg-corryvreckan-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10390342.jpg

So this is a cask strength scotch; a single malt fron the Islay region of Scotland. Ardbeg makes famously peaty and oily scotches, in fact some of the most phenolic deliveries around. ABV = 57.1% so be prepared. I personally can't stomach those who dilute a cask strength with water. Sack up and drink it as is.

Notes: huge peat and oil themes, slick on the tongue. Very faint cloves, and almost indiscernible Tremendous mouthfeel. Burn is muted by near-hickory and char notes that are difficult to translate. Faint apple on the nose, but totally ephemeral - just sets you up for the oil delivery. Wonderful peppery burn on the lips; the high ABV guarantees same. Sweet slick alcohol, a marriage of woody cinnamon and superior cognac (e.g. Pierre Ferrand - I can review these later if the board wants) on the back end - but again so fleeting due to the astronomical ABV. Fourth sip is so smooth; this is just a tremendous drink. Has turned velvety-pins and the ABV makes it a near ghost-pepper on the lips. That said I know how to blunt and sweeten it: give me a moment to light a Rocky Patel 1992 (cigar)...

So I've lit and had a few draws on the RP; it's transformed the Corryvreckan into a much sweeter - in fact bordering on cloying - exercise. That said, let's give it time: no scotch of this caliber will be cowed by a twirl of tobacco.

Back at it. Less sweet; had several bites of thick cowboy ribeye: closer to rare than medium rare, I'd be happy to share my steak algorithm with interested parties: just let me know! The RP is mellowing the Corry nicely. I'm now extracting some tea notes - the Chinese "gunpowder" pellets come to mind.

Time to extract the deeper secrets of the Corryvreckan; heading outside onto my deck to drink in the cold crisp fall airs and watch the (slowly rebuilding) brown bat population pick off the motheringcocksucking mosquitos... valiant bodyguards to the end, my fluttering friends.

Emptied the proper crystal tumbler, a full rendering requires a third "two fingers" pour.

Nose yields bark-apple with the slightest hints of pear, but better yet the tumbler ensconced in warm hands offers the same woody cinnamon notes along with something leathery (leathery yet snappy, reminds me of Devo's "Whip It" video): this is just an awesome experience. Frankly, I love good scotch...

I'm off to finish the RP 92 and a fair bit of Corryvreckan. The Corry is just a great cask strength and well worth the price point of $89.99 / bottle - totally reasonable given that this is pure unalduterated awesomesauce.

I hope folks read this review and if it resonates please post affirmatively; I have a retinue of retinae (a thousand eyes and one for the ASOIAF readers) to deploy in these pursuits.

Enjoy and indulge -

- MCC
Dude. We need to hang out.

Bought my first Indian whisky recently: Amrut Fusion. Excellent! I'd had a dram or two of other Indian whiskeys but hadn't tried this. Loved it! Wish I could give you an MCC-worthy breakdown but can't. I'll just say it was mildly smoky and very good.

This thread gets bumped/moved here while I have been cutting back on the vino. Maybe a sign?

Regardless, I mostly agree with HOF's white wine take, but I have been enjoying dry Riesling during the lockdown. Trimbach Reserve is great.

If I’m buying white it’s Sav Blanc or get the f@&$ out
That is where I'm at. Any favorites?

I'm not the most seasoned wine drinker these days, the Sauv Blanc I tend to drink the most is Coppola.

That is where I'm at. Any favorites?

I'm not the most seasoned wine drinker these days, the Sauv Blanc I tend to drink the most is Coppola.

Ive gotten Cloudy Bay on several occasions at the recommendation of someone who knows way more about wine than me.

im lucky I don’t have a discerning pallet for this sort of thing. A 15 dollar bottle tastes the same as a 100 to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom