Rewatched Carlton Game | Syracusefan.com

Rewatched Carlton Game

jordoo

Living Legend
After rewatching the Carlton game my impressions have changed a little bit.

1st Chino isn't quite as lost on D as I thought. He actually kept his feet moving and looked around to locate players. He did react it was just a hair slow and the wings did not really help him. Rather standard for a big guy in his first actual game action playing the middle of the zone.Hopefully this means with more minutes he can contribute something this season still hard to tell in such a short sample size.

Chris had one of the worst defensive games on the wing that I can recall seeing. The good news is that it wasn't for lack of effort. He just has no clue where to be most of the time, gets caught watching the ball and over commits when he does react. His improvement will be the key to our defense being solid this year since he's going to play a lot.

Tyler actually had a nice stretch in the middle of the 2nd half where he played good defense, made a jumper, tracked down a loose ball, got fouled and got a rebound. He also missed a wide open 3 and fumbled a rebound out of bounds. I think Tyler is closer to playing well than I thought and his defense unlike Chris's was much better in the 2nd half than it was in the 1st.

Joseph did not make any left handed shots although he had a turnaround from the left side (6') and a floater down the left side of the lane. He didn't really have any left side layup opportunities so this could mean nothing but its something to keep an eye on.

This team may have more top level athletes than we have had in quite a while.

Any chance somebody could send me a digital recording of the Carlton game or a dvd?

Funny, I agree with each of your player observations (noting that there wasn't much to re watch in Chino's case) yet how do we have more top level players than in recent seasons? Maybe more than one of the Flynn teams - otherwise, not so.

Funny, I agree with each of your player observations (noting that there wasn't much to re watch in Chino's case) yet how do we have more top level players than in recent seasons? Maybe more than one of the Flynn teams - otherwise, not so.

Not players, athletes. Rok, Chris, Kaleb, Mike and BJ are all top level athletes. Tyler may be as well but its hard to tell until he plays loose. These guys make it look effortless. Buss and Trevor also good athletes but not elite level IMO.

One other thing that I forgot to add. Although JB went right to Tyler almost everytime he was pulled It looked much more like teaching than doghouse stuff from what was shown. I watched every time they showed JB talking to Tyler and I got the impression that JB was working hard to get Tyler where he needs to be. This is a good indication that JB thinks he can provide what we need.

Hopefully CMac makes tremendous strides on the defensive side before we play Cal. The one thing JB won't stand for is messing up in the zone.

Not players, athletes. Rok, Chris, Kaleb, Mike and BJ are all top level athletes. Tyler may be as well but its hard to tell until he plays loose. These guys make it look effortless. Buss and Trevor also good athletes but not elite level IMO.

No extra points for looking effortless. Buss looks ready to compete this season; BJ -- probably not this year. Buss is strong enough to defend; and strong enough to make moves on a defender.

But my point is that there is a top 7 and Chino -- it isn't more than we have had in recent seasons. It is scary thin, even though that top group looked pretty promising.

No extra points for looking effortless. Buss looks ready to compete this season; BJ -- probably not this year. Buss is strong enough to defend; and strong enough to make moves on a defender.

But my point is that there is a top 7 and Chino -- it isn't more than we have had in recent seasons. It is scary thin, even though that top group looked pretty promising.

Again im just talking athlete not player or skill. We are loaded with elite level athletes this year. Last year of the guys that played only Grant, Rank & Mike were elite athletes while CJ was boarder line.

After rewatching the Carlton game my impressions have changed a little bit.

1st Chino isn't quite as lost on D as I thought. He actually kept his feet moving and looked around to locate players. He did react it was just a hair slow and the wings did not really help him. Rather standard for a big guy in his first actual game action playing the middle of the zone.Hopefully this means with more minutes he can contribute something this season still hard to tell in such a short sample size.

Chris had one of the worst defensive games on the wing that I can recall seeing. The good news is that it wasn't for lack of effort. He just has no clue where to be most of the time, gets caught watching the ball and over commits when he does react. His improvement will be the key to our defense being solid this year since he's going to play a lot.

Tyler actually had a nice stretch in the middle of the 2nd half where he played good defense, made a jumper, tracked down a loose ball, got fouled and got a rebound. He also missed a wide open 3 and fumbled a rebound out of bounds. I think Tyler is closer to playing well than I thought and his defense unlike Chris's was much better in the 2nd half than it was in the 1st.

Joseph did not make any left handed shots although he had a turnaround from the left side (6') and a floater down the left side of the lane. He didn't really have any left side layup opportunities so this could mean nothing but its something to keep an eye on.

This team may have more top level athletes than we have had in quite a while.
Agree about Tyler. Not sure why people didn't bring this up. He had a nice stretch at one point, but did make some mistakes that led to open looks on the baseline. But he had a few strong rebounds, a nice high low pass to get Roc a dunk and hit one of those 15 footers. Now, if he tries to get inside looks from what seems to be at best a 6'4 wing covering him tomorrow, now we're talking! He should just brute his way into the post tomorrow and the same to be said of Chris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom