Richardson entering, no agent | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Richardson entering, no agent

I think we're closer to being in agreement than you think. In recruiting you can make strong implications without promises or guarantees. And I would bet my mortgage JB implied very strongly that Battle would be starting and that he's get a long look at PG.

That's exactly what most coaches do with top 20 talent. They are usually a pretty good bet to do just that: start.
With development that has caused this thred, that may turn out to starting but looking more likely at the 2. Unless the recruiting situation changes. And that is why promises CAN'T be made. One never knows who is going to be around when even practices start.

If a guy gets a commitment from a team to take him resaonably high, then it's to the players advantage to stay in the draft. But a team can only afford to take so many chances. Take a chance 1 year is fine but even 2 years in a row puts the team in a downward sprial. Of course if the team has a hug cap space to pick up freeagents and is atttractive enough to do so, then they could afford to take chance. Still some sort of league wide rating system comming out of the work out camp benefits at lest 90% if not everybody, so it should work.

Yes, that is what I said while defending your idea to someone who knocked it. No good deed has remained unpunished around here of late!

in reading the tea leaves, I think hes gone if he gets a guarantee as a first rounder.

I bet in the athletic measuring that NBA teams do Lydon would out grade every player on our team. Mal is a good player but we have had many more Mal types in this program than Lydon's. Tough, smart, athletic big who isn't afraid, can do the little things and can shoot from deep and the line. I can't think of another player we have had that can do that.

Billy Owens?

Well good thing for both kids is that the 2 and the 3 are the weakest positions in the NBA these days. It's a couple dominant players over everybody else. And let's be honest, Lydon would translate to a decent 3, maybe 4 in today's NBA. He could probably put some more size on within a couple years and keep that footwork/stroke clean enough to be a starter on a decent team early on.

Well good thing for both kids is that the 2 and the 3 are the weakest positions in the NBA these days. It's a couple dominant players over everybody else. And let's be honest, Lydon would translate to a decent 3, maybe 4 in today's NBA. He could probably put some more size on within a couple years and keep that footwork/stroke clean enough to be a starter on a decent team early on.

If Lydon is becomes our go to guy next year he won't be able to be as aggressive defensively as he can not risk charges and aggressive d at the same time. I think people understate the things coaches say to these guys testing the waters. JB knows he needs Mali next year more then any position on the court.

If Lydon is becomes our go to guy next year he won't be able to be as aggressive defensively as he can not risk charges and aggressive d at the same time. I think people understate the things coaches say to these guys testing the waters. JB knows he needs Mali next year more then any position on the court.

Mal might be the most important player in terms of coming back/going in the draft. With him we are a legit top ten team that can cut down the nets, without him who knows.

I have to disagree here. I don't want to see him go, but given the choice with him or Lydon leaving and I'll say a sad goodbye to Mali.
We can replace Mali, not as good, but we can. We can't replace what Lydon brings to the game. And I'm talking about more than offense.

I have to disagree here. I don't want to see him go, but given the choice with him or Lydon leaving and I'll say a sad goodbye to Mali.
We can replace Mali, not as good, but we can. We can't replace what Lydon brings to the game. And I'm talking about more than offense.

Truth. Lydon all day and as nba prospect, i take lydon over mal all day.

Disagree. We've got more bodies at Lydon's positions. He would be hugely missed but at least there's some depth at those spots. If Malachi goes, we are looking at a walk on being the first guard off the bench at the present time. If we don't get a grad transfer that can play, we're screwed at Guard if he leaves.

Malachi is the guy who can get his own shot, and he has the confidence to put the team on his back. He's proven he can be a go to guy. I think Lydon can, but it's not proven yet. Most of his looks were open ones created largely by Gbinije and Malachi, and he didn't show the ability to dominate in the post...yet. I still think that is coming.

Disagree. We've got more bodies at Lydon's positions. He would be hugely missed but at least there's some depth at those spots. If Malachi goes, we are looking at a walk on being the first guard off the bench at the present time. If we don't get a grad transfer that can play, we're screwed at Guard if he leaves.

Malachi is the guy who can get his own shot, and he has the confidence to put the team on his back. He's proven he can be a go to guy. I think Lydon can, but it's not proven yet. Most of his looks were open ones created largely by Gbinije and Malachi, and he didn't show the ability to dominate in the post...yet. I still think that is coming.
Without Mali, the team would likely struggle to score in the half court, with Battle and Howard as the only natural creators, and few proven deep threats outside of Lydon. Mali's return would change that dynamic completely, however.

Bodies is the key word. We have nobody with even close to his skill set now or with the incoming frosh. Please don't tell me how good Moyer is because he hasn't played a minute. Robie will be at the other wing but then what?

Bodies is the key word. We have nobody with even close to his skill set now or with the incoming frosh. Please don't tell me how good Moyer is because he hasn't played a minute. Robie will be at the other wing but then what?

Moyer>>>>>>walkons at guard

Take Malachi and Lydon out of the picture. We've got 2 guards for 2 positions, and 4 frontcourt players for 3 positions. I'm more worried about Guard.

Moyer>>>>>>walkons at guard

Take Malachi and Lydon out of the picture. We've got 2 guards for 2 positions, and 4 frontcourt players for 3 positions. I'm more worried about Guard.

This is why we need a big class for 2017. We might go into that season with just Moyer, Chukwu and Howard on the roster if the other guys head pro. At most, we will have 6 guys under scholarship.

The biggest thing is Lydon plays hard on both ends. You can't be overly aggressive for blocks and rebounds and balence offensive charges at the same time, its pretty hard to do. However Lydon may have the midrange game to make it work as he has a nice spot up hook. The thing is, he is yet to dribble left or right in the midpost to use the post up. Its more of an occasional backdown instead.

The offense may not be fun without Malachi. It could be slow and methodical, specifically if Lydon becomes specifically a post up threat for 90% of the time, which would keep him away from charging from the perimeter. Not to mention two go two guys late in the shotclock. Gbinije and Malachi worked real well together this year with that. This year we might not have that, even with Malachi.

Malachi is so huge to this team we all know that much. PG's like Howard and Roberson who will play 30mpg might not be scoring all that much. Same goes with Dajaun. Got to have guys who look to score first.