Richardson entering, no agent | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Richardson entering, no agent

I read somewhere that 70 underclassmen have declared. I think 32 hired agents. Not all those guys are getting picked. Some seniors will get picked as well. About 30 of these guys should realize at some point the NBA isn't in the cards for them this year.

I read somewhere that 70 underclassmen have declared. I think 32 hired agents. Not all those guys are getting picked. Some seniors will get picked as well. About 30 of these guys should realize at some point the NBA isn't in the cards for them this year.
Most of these players probably just hate the school work and college isn't for them. Which is totally understandable.

I still can't blame any of these players. The system has to change.

Most of these players probably just hate the school work and college isn't for them. Which is totally understandable.

I still can't blame any of these players. The system has to change.

Some maybe. I think anyone who plays in college, their dream is to play in the NBA.

orangenirvana said:
I like the story, too. But the story is more fun and interesting and rewarding when the team is winning. One of the big reasons people follow sports is rooting for their team to win and experiencing the thrill of victory through the players. If you're only into sports for the story then do you even root for the team to win? Or is a loss on a last-second buzzer beater just as thrilling? I mean, losing to Keith Smart in the 87 championship was a great story, right? It speaks volumes that the players you list were part of the most successful teams in recent history. Why didn't you list Donte Green, Chris McCullough, Terrence Roberts, Deshaun Williams, etc.? Don't you care about those "characters" also? Tbh we're likely on the same page here. But you may not be able to see that because your self-righteousness is clouding the view.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous. Just sharing my opinion.

Winning is the best story. But how about Hak getting the block in the same arena where Smart hit that shot and ripped our hearts out? That's a hell of a story.

Tragedy makes for great story when redemption (winning in the end is involved). Like Cooney redeeming this past season by overcoming that ACC miss with some great late game heroics.

I still root for all of those guys, though most are not playing ball anymore. I get a kick out of hearing about Eric Devendorf growing up, maturing and still bleeding orange. Some characters are easier to root for than others. Players who stick around more than a year, we get to know better - so it's easier to root for them. Greene, McCullough, and Ennis left with smaller legacies so yeah - less story.

I bet in the athletic measuring that NBA teams do Lydon would out grade every player on our team. Mal is a good player but we have had many more Mal types in this program than Lydon's. Tough, smart, athletic big who isn't afraid, can do the little things and can shoot from deep and the line. I can't think of another player we have had that can do that.

I think Lydon could play the Draymond Green roll as a facilitator. Every NBA team is going to be looking for a big that can stand at the top of the key and pass or shoot. Lydon makes good decisions, and I think he would do well in this role.

While I do think that if Lydon develops ideally, he's destined to play some small-ball 5, I think you undersell what Green does. He gets the ball off the trap of curry and then drives into the teeth of the defense, finishing contested looks or drawing defenders and making the right pass just ahead of a rotating defense. There's not another forward in the league who does it anywhere close to as well. Blake Griffin is probably the closest.

While I do think that if Lydon develops ideally, he's destined to play some small-ball 5, I think you undersell what Green does. He gets the ball off the trap of curry and then drives into the teeth of the defense, finishing contested looks or drawing defenders and making the right pass just ahead of a rotating defense. There's not another forward in the league who does it anywhere close to as well. Blake Griffin is probably the closest.
No, I understand the things that Draymond Green does, I just didn't want to do a complete bio on him, but I honestly think that Lydon has the athletic ability, physical attributes (assuming he puts on a few pounds) and basketball IQ to play this role. And it is a role that all NBA teams are going to be coveting.

If Malachi gets snubbed he's going to be an absolute monster next season!

Spot up shooters are still a good commodity in the NBA and good offense gets you wide open 3's (see Golden State, San Antonio, Atlanta Hawks). His form is near perfect. He also showed an ability put the ball on the floor at times (which he'll get better at) and he's s pretty good rebounder.

I think you're trying too hard not to be biased, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. He's got holes in his game, but most guys coming into the NBA do.

I agree with your assessment of Lydon and totally disagree with your dismissal of the importance of defense in the NBA.

Newhouser said:
I bet in the athletic measuring that NBA teams do Lydon would out grade every player on our team. Mal is a good player but we have had many more Mal types in this program than Lydon's. Tough, smart, athletic big who isn't afraid, can do the little things and can shoot from deep and the line. I can't think of another player we have had that can do that.

How soon people forget about Elvir Ovcina.

No sarcasm, I'm mostly a literalist. I simply forgot who the guy was.
I rarely use emoji, but I may have to do so just for you.

No sarcasm, I'm mostly a literalist. I simply forgot who the guy was.
Ovcina was Pittsnogle before Pittsnogle...if Pittsnogle shot under 20% from 3 and cracked backboards on many of his attempts.

That Jim Boeheim allowed Ovcina to attempt 52 three-pointers in a season might be the worst thing he's ever done. That he allowed Ovcina to attempt 58 three-pointers the following season is tantamount to a war crime against the people of Syracuse.

lol

It's up to the coaches to fill the void.

They need to anticipate this and be ready to bring in a game ready player.

It's happens all the time at other schools.

There's no reason SU shouldn't have at least 3 quality guards next year.

If not, it's on the staff.

There is a great reason for it: scholarship reductions. The reduction in penalty came too late to pre-plan for it this year. The fact that KJ did not improve in his sophomore year was information not available during the recruiting cycle pre-season, and have scholarships open up from Obokoh, KJ, and Mali could also not have been anticipated pre-season when the staff could have done anything about it. Managing a roster over a multi year period in major level college BB is virtually impossible these days and when you add in not just sanctions, but sanctions that change, I'm not sure how you could expect perfection.

Every0ne is going to be promised they will be drafted, the key is he has to be smart and listen to his advisors.
That's not at all how the advisement process works.

The NBA is more than OK with fringe prospects developing at the NCAA's time and expense.

"While Richardson's NCAA Tournament performance was impressive, an NBA scout I spoke with Monday warned about an old adage among scouts to "not fall in love with March guys." The scout likes Richardson's length and athleticism and believes he has a developing skill set to eventually play in the NBA, but would rather see him return to Syracuse for another season to overcome issues with inconsistent shooting."

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde..._richardson_declaring.html#incart_river_index

Yeah, if he was going to play SG or come off the bench, he'd still be at Michigan.

So now we think that JB is telling recruits that they are going to start and at what position they will start before they get on campus? I dont believe that is true.

The fact that KJ did not improve in his sophomore year was information not available during the recruiting cycle pre-season.
I disagree. When did G get named the PG for the upcoming season? June? They knew Joseph wasn't going to work out then. I think it was late summer when JB said Howard would have started over KJ the previous season if he had been there. Once Diagne wasn't going to be cleared, getting a replacement big should have been a priority. They knew what they had in Obokoh as well. They knew Malachi and Lydon could be good after the summer and, IMO, if you're recruiting Mickie D kids, you should be planning for a replacement after year 1, period. And the staff probably does, but it'd be nice to start seeing a bunch of interest by good players in Syracuse for 2016.

Georgetown(still sucks) already has a top-10 transfer commit, as does Louisville who is under investigation and could get hit with more penalties.

Outside of Grant Mullins, who is taking legitimate visits, Syracuse is getting interest from a 5'10 shooter with bad hips.

I disagree. When did G get named the PG for the upcoming season? June? They knew Joseph wasn't going to work out then. I think it was late summer when JB said Howard would have started over KJ the previous season if he had been there. Once Diagne wasn't going to be cleared, getting a replacement big should have been a priority. They knew what they had in Obokoh as well. They knew Malachi and Lydon could be good after the summer and, IMO, if you're recruiting Mickie D kids, you should be planning for a replacement after year 1, period. And the staff probably does, but it'd be nice to start seeing a bunch of interest by good players in Syracuse for 2016.

Georgetown(still sucks) already has a top-10 transfer commit, as does Louisville who is under investigation and could get hit with more penalties.

Outside of Grant Mullins, who is taking legitimate visits, Syracuse is getting interest from a 5'10 shooter with bad hips.

Well, they did try to get a replacement for Diagne (or insurance), and I think they thought they had it with Thomas Bryant.

Joseph - they may have known he wouldn't be as impactful as a 5th year senior Mike G, but that is a far cry from saying he would not even be serviceable in any way for a single minute of meaningful game action!

And on top of that there is no way to know that in addition to that, he would also transfer. And that Obokoh would transfer. As it turns out, BJ Johnson and Kaleb would have gotten substantial run next year (if MR doesn't return). But it only highlights how hard it is to manage the roster and like I said the sanctions (that also change over time in unexpected ways) compound the problem. This is not a pro franchise that can be managed in line with a salary structure and union rules. It is almost totally unpredictable in all the important aspects. That's my only point.

HoustonCuse said:
Well, they did try to get a replacement for Diagne (or insurance), and I think they thought they had it with Thomas Bryant. Joseph - they may have known he wouldn't be as impactful as a 5th year senior Mike G, but that is a far cry from saying he would not even be serviceable in any way for a single minute of meaningful game action! And on top of that there is no way to know that in addition to that, he would also transfer. And that Obokoh would transfer. As it turns out, BJ Johnson and Kaleb would have gotten substantial run next year (if MR doesn't return). But it only highlights how hard it is to manage the roster and like I said the sanctions (that also change over time in unexpected ways) compound the problem. This is not a pro franchise that can be managed in line with a salary structure and union rules. It is almost totally unpredictable in all the important aspects. That's my only point.

They knew about Joseph and Obokoh for some time.