RIP Bobby Knight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bobby Knight

In a lot of ways Knight defined Indiana basketball, and they've never been anywhere close to the program they were with him at the helm since he was fired. Lots of changes happened around the same time - Malice at the Palace, Payton Manning going to the Colts, and changes to the state basketball tournament all helped make Indiana more of a football state and less of a basketball state (relative to where they were four decades ago) which makes it a harder job than it was when Knight was there.

But there's lots of changes going on now in college basketball nationally...I'm hoping we don't end up like Indiana fans, looking back on a golden era of hoops at the school which we have little likelihood of recapturing.

Like everyone in life, a complicated person. He happened to remove subtext and show the world his two sides: the rascal and the genius

The rascal got a kick out of making people uncomfortable and the genius loved to show people the highest level of coaching.

He should have been a football coach. Fit his personality

If anyone hasn’t read the rabbit article by Frank Deford. Its an exercise in journalism
I would use the word “rascal” to describe someone lighthearted who plays practical jokes on people, etc. Thats not who Knight was at all. His track record of physically and psychologically abusing people he perceived as weaker than him is a mile long.

My heart goes out to the people in his life who loved him, but the sports world in general is so much better without his type of personality.

I would use the word “rascal” to describe someone lighthearted who plays practical jokes on people, etc. Thats not who Knight was at all. His track record of physically and psychologically abusing people he perceived as weaker than him is a mile long.

My heart goes out to the people in his life who loved him, but the sports world in general is so much better without his type of personality.
Perfectly stated

Prolly 20 years ago, a guy who had been the head of the communist party in NYS (until he was expelled from it due to a lack of any diplomatic skills) died in the Albany area. He was estranged from his kids, had been divorced four times, had a couple domestic violence incidents…guy was just a complete jerk. The obituary was hilarious because of how hard the writer strained to take the available information and spin it in the most positive way possible - and it was still obvious the guy was hated by virtually everyone who had contact with him.

Knight wasn’t that bad, and had way more success in life - but I hear a lot of similarly strained commentary about Knight on sports radio today which is reminding me of that obituary. When I die I hope nobody trying to recap my life starts with a sigh, I’ve heard that twice with guys starting to talk about Knight.

Fair points. He's complicated and I would think it's not crazy to suggest that his negatives outweigh his positives. However, he attempted, badly mind you, to instill a sense of discipline into team sports and to provide structure to his teams. Did he fail, yes but did he succeed as well, yes.

By the end, his impulse control coupled with his team's slight descent cost him his job at Indiana. It didnt have to end that way. It's tragic but life is tragic often times. I argue he picked the wrong sport to coach. His demenaor is not dissimilar from Bill Parcells. The outlet to being a complete lunatic is insulated within the football ecosystem vs basketball. Parcells knew not to touch the thin red line of physical abuse. Knight couldn't help himself.

However, he attempted, badly mind you, to instill a sense of discipline into team sports and to provide structure to his teams. Did he fail, yes but did he succeed as well, yes.
Before you can instill a sense of discipline in others, you have to instill a sense of discipline in yourself. His temper just always seemed to get the best of him at every turn. I would be curious to know what his upbringing was like, and what his parents' temperament was like.

Personality aside, I personally consider him the 4th best CBB coach of all time after Coach K, Wooden, and Dean Smith.

Great basketball mind and coach and a complete nutcase.

For me, I can respect his genius and talent and dedication to being the best at something, while also thinking he was someone I’d never want to be like or spend any time around. *shrug*

I had always given him a pass as a super-talented basketball mind with anger management issues.

Then I watched the 30 for 30 and realized he shouldn't get a pass at all...

He was definitely a great coach for a time, but by the time the mid-80's rolled around he had morphed into a tier 1 narcissist dee-bag who knew a lot about basketball... and that transformation had a lot to do with the Indiana brass and fan community wholeheartedly allowing it.

I had always given him a pass as a super-talented basketball mind with anger management issues.

Then I watched the 30 for 30 and realized he shouldn't get a pass at all...

He was definitely a great coach for a time, but by the time the mid-80's rolled around he had morphed into a tier 1 narcissist dee-bag who knew a lot about basketball... and that transformation had a lot to do with the Indiana brass and fan community wholeheartedly allowing it.
Yeah. You can teach “discipline” and “toughness” without being abusive.

Yeah. You can teach “discipline” and “toughness” without being abusive.

Ain't that the truth...

He really thought he could behave any way he wanted because he was untouchable... and for a time, he did and he was.

He let it all go to his head and it brought out his worst self... and it rightfully caught up to him.

I remember him being one of the few at ESPN who thought very highly of the 2010 Syracuse team. Back around then, he was a solid announcer/color guy for college hoops,
If you could stomach hearing about the greatness of the “shot fake” 40 times a game.

i grew up in the seventies. no internet. not much college hoops on tv. got most my news from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED once a week . and i was a big fan of Indiana with scott may,kent benson and quinn buckner. undefeated. once i got older and got to watch bobby knight in person ... not so much.

Over the years I've learned to make a distinction between personality and character. Knight had a jacka-s personality. Difficult, overbearing to his own detriment. Early in his career, he had loads of character, holding his players and his program to standards beyond what the NCAA required. Sadly, as time went on, he lost that, too. He had all the signs of early dementia, although I don't know that it was ever a diagnosis. Genius often comes with problematic side effects. Knight was always a genius and problematic.
He had assembled an impressive track record as an asshat long before he was afflicted with any form of dementia.

Can’t help but think a few of the over-the-top Knight bashing comments likely come from subconscious anger still festering over 1987. I don’t believe the hatred of this man would be the same in this fanbase if Keith Smart’s shot was off.

Was he a flawed person who made some serious mistakes? Yes. Does he deserve the level of scorn on this message board before his body is even cold? I don’t believe so.

Can’t help but think a few of the over-the-top Knight bashing comments likely come from subconscious anger still festering over 1987. I don’t believe the hatred of this man would be the same in this fanbase if Keith Smart’s shot was off.

Was he a flawed person who made some serious mistakes? Yes. Does he deserve the level of scorn on this message board before his body is even cold? I don’t believe so.
That's ridiculous. There was a substantial level of scorn for this guy while he was still breathing, most of which was earned.

Just speaking for myself, but I was only 4 years old when Smart's shot went in and don't remember it (thank God or else I probably would have needed therapy to get over that).

As long as there isn't trolling, which I haven't seen at all, I think an honest discussion/assessment of his life and legacy on a neutral message board is perfectly reasonable. It's not like we walked into his wake or funeral and were talking about these things.

If you could stomach hearing about the greatness of the “shot fake” 40 times a game.
That reminds me, and I don't remember who wrote it. But a scribe who covered Villanova once wrote that John Pinone had two moves, 'the pump fake, and the double pump fake'.

Off-topic I know, but I might never get to share this again...

UCLA fans are the same way about O.J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom