RIP DMX | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP DMX

Fact. As a 17 year old white boy out in the country, my senior quote was a dmx lyric.
Please tell me it was "I'm not a nice person, Ima slap the s--t out you twice dog and that's before I start cursin"

Hard Knock Life Tour in Rochester on March 17, 1999 as a freshmen in college. Fun little road trip from Cuse to Roc. That show was awesome...
DJ Clue gets the crowd going and plays in between each act. Meth and Red open, DMX in the middle, and Jay closes. X stole the show hands down! So much energy and hype...

R.I.P. X

Last edited:

Remember watching this at home. 15 years old and just pissed that I wasn't a few years older.
This sent me down a real rabbit hole. Watched it in full and have moved onto Live. Debating Korn, Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit next. Pretty sure this was the 1st time I saw Kid Rock when he had the lil' fella Joe or whatever with him back in the day and hadn't been turned commercial yet.

It’s weird to me how that is his song that always gets referenced and played now.

Wasn’t even that big back then, compared to some of his others. There must be an explanation for this that I missed, lol.

There was definitely a Cuse basketball themed parody of this song years ago. Not sure if it's online.

This sent me down a real rabbit hole. Watched it in full and have moved onto Live. Debating Korn, Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit next. Pretty sure this was the 1st time I saw Kid Rock when he had the lil' fella Joe or whatever with him back in the day and hadn't been turned commercial yet.
LOVED Live. But those next 3 were not my thing at all.

Hard Knock Life Tour in Rochester on March 17, 1999 as a freshmen in college. Fun little road trip from Cuse to Roc. That show was awesome...
DJ Clue gets the crowd going and plays in between each act. Meth and Red open, DMX in the middle, and Jay closes. X stole the show hands down! So much energy and hype...

R.I.P. X
I had to have been there or at the Buffalo stop the next week. The one I remember most was a Cash Money/Ruff Ryders tour the next year. Still remember that DMX came from the back of the arena in a big dog cage above everyones head up to the stage.

LOVED Live. But those next 3 were not my thing at all.
I definitely loved Limp Bizkit and Korn was what I would listen to before high school football games for whatever reason. Remember thinking Kid Rock was interesting after seeing his Woodstock appearance and having that Bahwitdaba or whatever song and then quickly lost interest in him.

I definitely loved Limp Bizkit and Korn was what I would listen to before high school football games for whatever reason. Remember thinking Kid Rock was interesting after seeing his Woodstock appearance and having that Bahwitdaba or whatever song and then quickly lost interest in him.

Nothing to me screams “senior year of hs” like “Got the Life.”

Remember watching this at home. 15 years old and just pissed that I wasn't a few years older.
Probably a blessing in disguise. Wasn't that 1999 Woodstock just a total nightmare with no access to bottled water, toilets, etc.?

Whoa, had forgotten about this, but my uncle has performed with DMX. He just posted a picture of the two of them on social media.

I would say that video is not suitable for work. Jay Pharoah performed Party Up, my uncle is the tall bass player in the back with the hat. Pharoah's comedy set is at the 15 minute mark, Party up starts at 17:40, DMX makes his appearance at about the 19 minute mark.

One of my all time fav artists hone way too young. Rip ruff rider.

In my early 30's, first musical artist I heard swear. Must have been 9 or 10. Talk is cheap motha...
Was watching the Ruff Ryders Anthem video on YouTube the other day, and they cut out the “mind your business, lady”, part. I wonder what the hell that’s about?

My friend used to drive around and play “One More Road to Cross” on repeat, over and over.

Slippin’ is still an all time great song, IMO.

That first album is still his best. DMX owned 98-99.

Watched his “Versus” battle with Snoop this past year - he was so good on there. Seemed happy and having fun. Just like that, he’s gone. Sad.
Did the same thing with slippin... Lost friends to that fight.. when I hear that song I can see the faces of people that went through it. Some got up, some didn't. Just a great song. For me, Dark Man X is ahead of Pac, Biggie, Pun with shout outs to Big L and Prodigy for deceased Legends... I try to avoid GOAT talk, because as any hip hop head knows... This Sh** is layered... You had to listen to DMX's lyrics and story, Damian, Stop Being Greedy, Crime Story... so many that weren't radio bangers, but you did not skip these songs when playing the CD.

Did the same thing with slippin... Lost friends to that fight.. when I hear that song I can see the faces of people that went through it. Some got up, some didn't. Just a great song. For me, Dark Man X is ahead of Pac, Biggie, Pun with shout outs to Big L and Prodigy for deceased Legends... I try to avoid GOAT talk, because as any hip hop head knows... This Sh** is layered... You had to listen to DMX's lyrics and story, Damian, Stop Being Greedy, Crime Story... so many that weren't radio bangers, but you did not skip these songs when playing the CD.
His first album was something else. Second one too. Scattered moments after that. Definitely has his place among the legends.

Grand Champ was his last really good album, it was a different but still really good. The lyrics, stories after that were always good, but the overall songs were not the same caliber. After that you would here songs in between getting tickets, getting in trouble, having fun, living life... and overall slippin. Dark, Flesh, X and Grand Champ are my favs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom