Robert Braswell IV | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Robert Braswell IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the textbook way to beat the zone assuming the defenders collapse on the post. It sounds radical but several of us have been advocating for the last several years to just let them take that shot uncontested. Stay home along the baseline and don't leave the shooters. The high post jumper is a long two. It's not a high value shot compared to the layup or open 3. That's why the kickout is what most offenses are almost always looking for. Let teams get hot from the post and kill us with midrange 2s instead of 3s.

I’m glad several of you have been advocating it for several years. That’s why you’re on a message board. No coach is just going to let that pass to the high post just happen all the time unless that player is a slug. If you only want a defender to never leave someone, then just say you like m2m better. But your suggestion isn’t how you play the zone. And our very best zone defenses have been the ones that are very active.

I’m glad several of you have been advocating it for several years. That’s why you’re on a message board. No coach is just going to let that pass to the high post just happen all the time unless that player is a slug. If you only want a defender to never leave someone, then just say you like m2m better. But your suggestion isn’t how you play the zone. And our very best zone defenses have been the ones that are very active.
You can still play a zone and not leave shooters in your area. When the ball enters the post just don't take eyes off the shooters. When the guards turn their back trying to stop penetration that's when the kickouts happen. Actually now that I think of it, the worst habit the guards have is following the ball carrier once they've gotten past them. They get sucked in trying to swipe the ball from behind. Nothing good ever happens. It goes against instincts, but they need to let the fron court handle that responsibility and stay home in their area.

You can still play a zone and not leave shooters in your area. When the ball enters the post just don't take eyes off the shooters. When the guards turn their back trying to stop penetration that's when the kickouts happen. Actually now that I think of it, the worst habit the guards have is following the ball carrier once they've gotten past them. They get sucked in trying to swipe the ball from behind. Nothing good ever happens. It goes against instincts, but they need to let the fron court handle that responsibility and stay home in their area.
The zone is all about rotation and responsibility. The gamble is that someone may have a hot night and then you try to adjust. In a good zone there is always an open man. You identify the shooters and try to make sure the open man is only open for a second, but there will always be an open man.

if you don’t deny the entry pass you get destroyed by a good interior player. The only time the guards don’t move down to cover the top of the key is if the player receiving the entry pass isn’t able to kick out or hit an eight foot jumper. Then he gets single coverage.

As every TV announcer tells us, because it is in the zone script, the zone changes (and it does). Syracuse does not always have the center collapse on the player at the free throw line. It depends who that player is and what skills they might have. Also, you do not need always need two guards to collapse.

As to Buddy's D, he did get better but he was abused by Baylor. there might need to be some offense/defensive substitutions. I guess we will see what the coach thinks as the season progresses.

As every TV announcer tells us, because it is in the zone script, the zone changes (and it does). Syracuse does not always have the center collapse on the player at the free throw line. It depends who that player is and what skills they might have. Also, you do not need always need two guards to collapse.

As to Buddy's D, he did get better but he was abused by Baylor. there might need to be some offense/defensive substitutions. I guess we will see what the coach thinks as the season progresses.

we rarely have 2 guards collapse. It’s the guard opposite ball side. The best zone has all 5 players moving as the ball moves.

Back to Braswell for a moment.
I've said it before but it's worth repetition in a thread about him.

I'm taken by the way he moves on the court.
His game just flows.
At some point he's going to emerge as a great player.
Maybe this year...maybe not.
But it seems likely to happen.

Back to Braswell for a moment.
I've said it before but it's worth repetition in a thread about him.

I'm taken by the way he moves on the court.
His game just flows.
At some point he's going to emerge as a great player.
Maybe this year...maybe not.
But it seems likely to happen.
I'm with you. There's something there.

What was notable for me was JB's response to Braswell going 6-7 from the field, 3-4 from 3, 2-2 from the line. He made it seem like he has been shooting it well in practice and that shot will be available in our offense. He even implied that he has been shooting better than Dolezaj, which is why I think he plays a significant role on this year's team.

Sounds like Bras is more of a Van Horn than Marek.

Sounds like Bras is more of a Van Horn than Marek.

I'm not suggesting Braswell plays over Dolezaj, but the they both play over the freshmen centers of course there might be a game or two where match ups forces one of the true center into the game.

neither marek nor carey should feel too secure in their positions. there is quality depth pushing both of them. and that is the difference between being on & being off sanctions
I don't think Marek's PT is at much risk though. I think it's the 3 headed center.

Yeah there's going to be a lot of lineups with 2 guards and Marek/Hughes/Braswell or Guerrier.

I don't think Marek's PT is at much risk though. I think it's the 3 headed center.

I agree Dolezaj is one of those players who can effect the game without scoring, rebounding, passing, taking a charge, etc. I also think even centers that are far more talented/experienced struggle there freshmen year in the zone. Both of these young men are late to the game and have a lot to learn.

we rarely have 2 guards collapse. It’s the guard opposite ball side. The best zone has all 5 players moving as the ball moves.

Yes, you're correct. However, funny thing about the ball as it moves...it moves faster than players are able to. So, an astute/well prepared passing team can carve up the zone at times, as we have all seen with teams of this nature. Therefore, you have to pick your poison so to speak. Defend the high post (where at the college level) there are not many teams/players that have a threat to consistently knock down the 15 foot foul line jumper or collapse in heat of the moment (non-textbook/vacuum situation) leaving a wide open three. We have all watched/seen a few too many games where guys are wide open from beyond the arc, and as fans hoping/screaming, oh %$!%$! please no...don't go in.

The best defense of this innate zone exposure is to have guards that can defend the dribble drive and not allow penetration to expose this critical area where the zone, by its nature, is the most vulnerable. With so many more players today having the ability to hit long range shots, I'd prefer (if it came down to one or the other) leaving a guy relatively open at the 15' foul line area giving up a 2, versus seeing wide open 3's.

Last edited:
i love what marek brings to the court
but i love what bobby brings, too.

the point is, he should be feeling the pressure. hopefully it makes him a bit less passive on the offensive end

Here’s an old school comparison: Rafael Addison. If he has Raf’s jumper, we’re in the money with this diamond in the rough.
I said this about Braswell back in June ...

Any old timers remember Darius Rice, 3-time All-Big East selection at Miami early this millennium? That’s the brand of player Braswell can be, if not quite the caliber. I am pumped.

Braswell x 4 > Bazley x 1.

i love what marek brings to the court
but i love what bobby brings, too.

the point is, he should be feeling the pressure. hopefully it makes him a bit less passive on the offensive end
I agree that it would be a good thing if Marek looks to score more.

against a D2 school right ?
True. Competition was weak. Only one (the first) game. Forward minutes will be scarce. All that.

But hard to ignore that: a) his stroke looks pretty smooth, especially for a kid who didn't see the floor much last year; b) he played a lot more confident offensively than MD (5 boards, 2 pts in 23m); c) his shooting wasn't a fluke because JB says he's been money in practice; and d) he's showing athletic ability on the defensive glass. I mean, any forward who goes 6-7 from the field with 4 RB's and 3 blocks in 22m ... deserves a chance against better competition.

Last edited:
The player who rebounds and draws defenders will get the playing time.

That’s my thought on Marek and Braswell

Marek needs to shoot. Hes got a fine shot and was far too passive last year. The defense could afford to double tyus, or shade a double towards our ball handler because Marek did not step up as a shot threat.

The zone is all about rotation and responsibility. The gamble is that someone may have a hot night and then you try to adjust. In a good zone there is always an open man.
I think there's been a distinct trend in teams running crisper zone offenses. Good ball movement will kill any zone. At least against us anyway. The downfall of a zone is that even when it's played well, a good passing team that knows how to space the floor will always find a good shot. And it has little to do with physical talent or star ratings and more about coaching. Curly Howard shredded the zone silly and they're not elite.

I like Braswell on D and he has a nice shot but I just get the feeling he'll be buried on the bench and be a BJ Johnson type guy and transfer out. I really like what I see from him and I'd hate to lose a talent like this but I'm not sure how patient he'll be. Hope I'm wrong.

True. Competition was weak. Only one (the first) game. Forward minutes will be scarce. All that.

But hard to ignore that: a) his stroke looks pretty smooth, especially for a kid who didn't see the floor much last year; b) he played a lot more confident offensively than MD (5 boards, 2 pts in 23m); c) his shooting wasn't a fluke because JB says he's been money in practice; and d) he's showing athletic ability on the defensive glass. I mean, any forward who goes 6-7 from the field with 4 RB's and 3 blocks in 22m ... deserves a chance against better competition.
I can’t stress enough how good Braswell looked at the game. Marek did not look that good. I remember last year when some of our old players took in a practice or two before the season started, more than one of them said Braswell was going to be good for us. I took a mental note, but it turns out he didn’t get much play. Well, I believe he will play a lot for us this year, unless Saturday night was a fluke. We’ll find out more tomorrow night.

Hope I'm wrong.
You will be. :)

If Braswell can play (admittedly, this is a TBD, but showing good signs), it's not like he is attempting to crack a rotation that includes Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens and David Johnson. This is two frosh centers, Marek, Guerrier, and Hughes we are talking about.

Braswell's ceiling is reasonably high and he also does the little things that Boeheim often rewards with trust and PT.

You will be. :)

If Braswell can play (admittedly, this is a TBD, but showing good signs), it's not like he is attempting to crack a rotation that includes Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens and David Johnson. This is two frosh centers, Marek, Guerrier, and Hughes we are talking about.

Braswell's ceiling is reasonably high and he also does the little things that Boeheim often rewards with trust and PT.

I'd like that! I see Hughes getting 39.98546 minutes a game so it's between Guerrier, and Marek and I just don't see the minutes SU94 unless Braz starts out hot out of the gate. A couple of early misses and it's sit next to Jimmie time until the next game or so.

i think this may well be a year like 2012, where 9 guys played in at least 30 games (and the one who played 30 was fab, because of his suspension) all of them averaging 10 mpg or more and nobody played more than 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom