Robey | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Robey

So your answer is that it is fine to dog it up the court. Never mind that allowed the Duke players to double Gillon. As for the clock, when we got the ball, there was plenty of time for a rebound. this isn't about JB or anything else. Robey should have hustled down
the only thing I thought was that if he would have run full out, he at least could have dragged a Duke defender away from the ball.
Why would you believe the Duke team would ever believe a pass was going anywhere near robey such that they would defend him? That's silly.

If Battle hadn't held the ball for about 3 seconds, the possible end game scenarios were quite different and certainly more expansive, and Roberson's indifferent effort could have cost the team.

I would encourage you to watch the tape. You keep saying three or four seconds and that is nonsense. Battle has two hands on the ball with firm possession at :06.2 left. He turns and hesitates for a second and then lofts a looping pass to JG who turns up court with :04.2 left. Given the positioning of his teammates there is no other play but for JG to launch from 25+ feet.

Also, if you slow the film down carefully you will notice there is a :0.2 differential between the clock above the basket versus the clock on the tv screen. Just as the ball is about to hit the backboard the clock above the backboard reads :0.2 and the clock on TV says :0.4. In other words SU had :0.2 less time than what showed on TV since the clock above the basket is the official clock.

Why would you believe the Duke team would ever believe a pass was going anywhere near robey such that they would defend him? That's silly.
It's silly to think that a defender would pick up an offensive player coming down court? Are you serious? They don't follow our games like we do. They see a Syracuse player streaking down court, they'll pick him up. No way to spin this. There is no excuse not to hustle down the court in that situation.

It's silly to think that a defender would pick up an offensive player coming down court? Are you serious? They don't follow our games like we do. They see a Syracuse player streaking down court, they'll pick him up. No way to spin this. There is no excuse not to hustle down the court in that situation.
They know who Roberson is and they know he will never see the ball.

Battle was wide open on the wing. Which duke defender did he drag away from Gillon?

Your point is off.

They know who Roberson is and they know he will never see the ball.

Battle was wide open on the wing. Which duke defender did he drag away from Gillon?

Your point is off.
Yes. I'm sure you are right. No reason to hustle on that play. It's not like our season was hanging in the balance. Better yet, tell me why 1. Robey didn't hustle and 2. why that is a good thing.

Yes. I'm sure you are right. No reason to hustle on that play. It's not like our season was hanging in the balance. Better yet, tell me why 1. Robey didn't hustle and 2. why that is a good thing.
1. The ball was in the hands of the player JB wanted to have the ball. It was never leaving his hands except to shoot. Robey had no opportunity to affect the play in a positive manner. I'm quite certain, as someone who has watched him bust his ass down the court on every other play, that he was told to hold back. No reason for the rebound to end up in the wrong hands. Had he run down and gotten position, even if wide open, time would have expired if Gillon had passed. There was no time for a putback as you suggested earlier.
2. See above.

1. The ball was in the hands of the player JB wanted to have the ball. It was never leaving his hands except to shoot. Robey had no opportunity to affect the play in a positive manner. I'm quite certain, as someone who has watched him bust his ass down the court on every other play, that he was told to hold back. No reason for the rebound to end up in the wrong hands. Had he run down and gotten position, even if wide open, time would have expired if Gillon had passed. There was no time for a putback as you suggested earlier.
2. See above.
Complete nonsense. What if the ball was knocked out of Gillons hands? He could have been in position to recover it before a Duke player. But the main point is, you hustle and get in a position where you might be able to do something to help your team. Not loaf and not even reach half court. If you believe your post, there is nothing more for us to talk about. It's never a good thing not to hustle.

Complete nonsense. What if the ball was knocked out of Gillons hands? He could have been in position to recover it before a Duke player. But the main point is, you hustle and get in a position where you might be able to do something to help your team. Not loaf and not even reach half court. If you believe your post, there is nothing more for us to talk about. It's never a good thing not to hustle.

You're way off on this. Battle, who shoots game winning threes, was wide open! Why in the world would duke cover Roberson when they didn't cover Battle?

You're way off on this. Battle, who shoots game winning threes, was wide open! Why in the world would duke cover Roberson when they didn't cover Battle?
You really don't believe what you are posting. You have a desire to defend robey. And that's okay. but no way do i believe you think it is A-okay for him or any other player to loaf up the court in that situation. No other player did. It was inexecuable.

You really don't believe what you are posting. You have a desire to defend robey. And that's okay. but no way do i believe you think it is A-okay for him or any other player to loaf up the court in that situation. No other player did. It was inexecuable.

I'd love to see you ask JB his opinion on that. Maybe craft a question for SWC75 to ask this week.

I can guess his response. I'm confident he'd take my side.

I'd love to see you ask JB his opinion on that. Maybe craft a question for SWC75 to ask this week.

It's robey. He would not take your side. and as an aside, a problem I have always had with jb is that if he hates a shot a guy takes, he suddenly doesn't hate it if it goes in. Either it's a good shot to take or it isn't. Jb would be mad if Gillons shot didn't go in and he saw Robey loafing. When it goes in, it suddenly wouldn't matter to him. Not the right way.

Actually I wonder if he'd ask why the hell we'd try to find something negative out of one of the most exciting plays of the year - one of the few I might add.

Actually I wonder if he'd ask why the hell we'd try to find something negative out of one of the most exciting plays of the year - one of the few I might add.
Read the thread. It sure didn't start out that way.

Read the thread. It sure didn't start out that way.

I know. I've read the whole thing. I'm just going to test out the ignore thread feature at this point and you can carry on.

I know. I've read the whole thing. I'm just going to test out the ignore thread feature at this point and you can carry on.
Just an aside, I know a woman that shacked up with Reggie jackson. She was hot as hell to

Why would Roberson be involved schematically in any potential game winning scenario? Unless to screen (miscast in that aspect) or rebound.

How everyone here doesn't immediately understand this completely baffled me.
So you think Roberson was executing some pre-ordained strategy on that last play? "Tyler, if we get the ball back, check the clock. Under 10 seconds, stay in the backcourt. Anything over that, join your teammates but try not to do anything stupid."

look who's watching.
promo312414256-640x360.jpg

let's cut tyler some slack he ain't sat for 10 games.

Best defensive center Boeheim's ever had.

Yeah, they barely defended Gillon and he had the ball in his hands.

Yeah, they barely defended Gillon and he had the ball in his hands.

It was a TIE GAME. Why would they guard him closely that far away from the basket, and risk fouling him??
You know - a guy who hasn't missed a FT in over a month?

Barring a miracle shot (which is what ended up happening), Duke was playing to send it to OT there.
You don't risk fouling a guy (unless he's an atrocious FT shooter, like Robey) and try to contest the heave cleanly - which they did.

We now return you to your Robey-bashing thread, already in progress... Oh Lord

I think everyone has voted their feelings at least once, some 10 times. Why can't we drop this.

Before someone suggests it, I am by not reading anymore of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom