Rocky Long | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

I doubt this is possible but is it possible we hire Long, Rod and Norwood? I didn’t like Norwood as full on DC but like him as a coach and maybe learning on the job with a guy with a solid history of coaching D.

I doubt this is possible but is it possible we hire Long, Rod and Norwood? I didn’t like Norwood as full on DC but like him as a coach and maybe learning on the job with a guy with a solid history of coaching D.
No.

If you can't get prototype DTs and NGs, this is a way you can still be successful on defense. I think it makes great sense for Syracuse, whether it is the flavor Navy runs or San Diego State runs.

We can recruit players for this defense a lot easier. We can put a lot of pressure and introduce confusion with it.

NC State tried to put the 3-3-5 in with former WVU coach Tony Gibson last fall. It doesn't work out well and Dave Huxtable, who apparently fought it some, got the blame and the ax.
See I see it different. U need 3 amazingly talented dline men or we are screwed. We have a hard time with that in my opinion. Now Coleman slayton and Robinson could maybe make it work. 2 outta 3 of the down lineman are getting doubled at least at point of attack and of course one lineman slides to a backer but we have a hard time with double teams. Now if we could get a 6’2” 320 lb ng who is cat quick I’m in.

If you can't get prototype DTs and NGs, this is a way you can still be successful on defense. I think it makes great sense for Syracuse, whether it is the flavor Navy runs or San Diego State runs.

We can recruit players for this defense a lot easier. We can put a lot of pressure and introduce confusion with it.

NC State tried to put the 3-3-5 in with former WVU coach Tony Gibson last fall. It doesn't work out well and Dave Huxtable, who apparently fought it some, got the blame and the ax.

Gibson was rich rods boy at wvu as his db coach. he brought him to Michigan too and convinced rich rod to stay with the 3-3-5. that's when grob was dc. the 3-3-5 defense didn't work too well in the power running game big 10.

See I see it different. U need 3 amazingly talented dline men or we are screwed. We have a hard time with that in my opinion. Now Coleman slayton and Robinson could maybe make it work. 2 outta 3 of the down lineman are getting doubled at least at point of attack and of course one lineman slides to a backer but we have a hard time with double teams. Now if we could get a 6’2” 320 lb ng who is cat quick I’m in.
No, I don't think you understand this scheme at all.

A major tenant of the defense is that it is easier to recruit speed than size. The defense is built on speed. You don't need 300 pound freaks who run 4.8 40s and bench press 600 pounds to run it.

It is far easier to find athletic, undersized but relatively fast DL than traditional ones. If we can find a Chris Slayton, we would definitely take him. But you don't need those types of players to be successful running this scheme.

No, I don't think you understand this scheme at all.

A major tenant of the defense is that it is easier to recruit speed than size. The defense is built on speed. You don't need 300 pound freaks who run 4.8 40s and bench press 600 pounds to run it.

It is far easier to find athletic, undersized but relatively fast DL than traditional ones. If we can find a Chris Slayton, we would definitely take him. But you don't need those types of players to be successful running this scheme.
This scheme would seem to align much better with the undersized, faster DL, DE, and LB types we already have, and the #s at DB.

This almost seems to make too much sense. Kind of like running a fast paced, no huddle, spread passing offense in a Dome...

wouldn't fill the recruiting hole so HCDB will have to really hit that one out of the park.
That is the one con of hiring him. Can't imagine he'll be doing much recruiting. Otherwise, it's a great hire, as he has a great track record.

Gibson was rich rods boy at wvu as his db coach. he brought him to Michigan too and convinced rich rod to stay with the 3-3-5. that's when grob was dc. the 3-3-5 defense didn't work too well in the power running game big 10.
It didn't but they tried to install the 3-3-5 with a DC who was not familiar with it (and not particularly good at being a DC).

Also, I don't think anyone considers the version of the 3-3-5 WVU ran to be as dynamic or successful as the versions that started it all out West. We played the Mountaineers for years when they ran it, and while it presented some problems, it was not the same as the chaotic and frenzied scheme San Diego State has been running.

That said, I agree that this scheme is best suited to going against spread or traditional pro style attracks.

If teams go heavy against it, they might hurt us with it. But who runs that type of offense in the ACC?

BC.
Pitt, though they seem to be more pro oriented with each passing year.
Wake was really run oriented not long ago but again seems to pass the ball more each year. They have pretty much abandoned the power sets and approach.

I much prefer an aggressive scheme that requires special preparation and puts pressure on the offense than a passive, traditional approach.

No scheme is perfect. If this gets some ACC schools to change their offense to a heavy 2 TE type look and take highly skilled, fast players off the field, I think it is a good thing for us.

I think the 3-3-5 is better than the 4-2-5. (at least our backers struggled with it imo) Is there such a thing as a base D anymore? Clemson - maybe not the best example - but they line up in all 3 primary sets. What's their base defense exactly?

SDUs defense was pretty tough against the run. #2 in the nation (against their schedule.)

my daughter is a freshman at SDSU, i watch a lot of their games during that late night CBS Sports Network slot that they often appear on. their defense is outstanding, I don't care if they are Mountain West or Mountain Freaking Dew, Rocky Long would be an outstanding hire

This past year they only gave up over 20 pts twice. That said their season high in pts was 31. A ton of low scoring games. Similar in 2018 but scoring was up a bit and pts allowed up a bit too. 2017 their offensive numbers were much better with similar to 2019 defensive numbers.

Notables- held Stanford to 17 pts in 2017, beat ranked ASU 28-21 in 2018, held Boise State to 13 in 2018.

Get your 69 jokes in while you can. He turns 70 three weeks from today.
He may be looking at a way to end his career in P5 football, but without all of the responsibilities and stress that comes with being a HC.

Last edited:
I’m so confused right now.

ED6F77C4-7C5A-4842-90AB-B6D8B2A84751.jpeg

I don't know. that defense gets hurt by good running backs. and the guy is 69.
This guy is such a good football coach. Never in a million years would I have thought a guy of his stature would consider this job.