anomander

Living Legend
Safety Rodney Williams was offered today after camp

Rodney Williams@R2XU6
15m
Syracuse offered me a full scholarship to play Safety #Cuse
BNOLNcfCUAAkdyV.jpg

High School Spotlight: Rodney Williams – QB, CB – Cherry Hill West

Posted by Garry Cobb II BREAKING NEWS, Football, High School, News Sunday, August 5th, 2012

Rodney Williams is a diminutive but extremely quick athlete with very good speed and vision.
Williams’ main position is currently quarterback where he stars as a duel-threat in the spread option offense. While he does not currently posses the height or arm strength to play QB on the FBS level, Williams displays FBS level escape ability in the pocket, as he uses his vision, quickness and acceleration to beat primary and secondary contain. Those same skills make the Cherry Hill West product extremely dangerous when running the option. He can quickly sink his hips in the open field to throw an array of moves on defenders including jump cuts, dead-leg cuts and stutter steps.
Williams is one who can be counted on to make the first 2-3 defenders miss when he has the ball. Though not an absolute blazer, Williams shows very good speed in his video as he does manage to beat some tough pursuit angles on long runs. Nevertheless, he looks to be “more quick than fast”. Aside from slightly less explosion out of his cuts and less arm strength, Williams’ skill set is similar to a recent South Jersey prospect, Bill Belton (Winslow – 2011) who is currently a running back at Penn State.
At cornerback, Williams shows the same quickness and acceleration that make him such a dangerous player on offense. He has a crisp plant and drive that allows him to undercut receivers and make plays on the ball. Good ball skills, possibly somewhat due to his experience as a basketball player, are also evident from his video. He shows a comfort level with catching the ball with hands and away from his body and also times his jumps very well. Size could potentially be somewhat of an issue, but Williams has plenty of time to grow.
As a sophomore, Rodney Williams shows FBS level potential as a defensive back or a slot wide receiver. If he eventually thickens out to 190-200 lbs, running back may even be an option for the versatile athlete.
Name: Rodney Williams
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 177
Position(s): QB/DB
High School: Cherry Hill West
Hometown: Cherry Hill, NJ
Class: 2014

I have to say that he looks a little bigger than 177 but welcome to SU Rodney, we'll all be rooting for you!

can anyone tell us what other offers he had. He seems like he has the speed but I'm kind of worried why he commited so quickly.

can anyone tell us what other offers he had. He seems like he has the speed but I'm kind of worried why he commited so quickly.
Buffalo and Temple, from what I have seen on another site.

Syracuse offered him at camp. Cant ask for more than that as the people that mattered put him through a combine. I love camp offers.

don't know how tall Coach Shaf is but in that camp video Williams appears to be the same height or slightly taller than HCSS.

He got offered at camp so the staff was able to evaluate in person. I have no problem when we land a camp commit regardless of the offers he has.

Glad to see he realized what a good opportunity he had and committed quickly.

Syracuse offered him at camp. Cant ask for more than that as the people that mattered put him through a combine. I love camp offers.

don't know how tall Coach Shaf is but in that camp video Williams appears to be the same height or slightly taller than HCSS.
I believe coach is 8'4 and carved from solid granite.

saw him listed as under 6 feet. Don't know exact height though.

He got offered at camp so the staff was able to evaluate in person. I have no problem when we land a camp commit regardless of the offers he has.

Glad to see he realized what a good opportunity he had and committed quickly.
I agree ,he spoke to family and here he is. A kid with a good head on his shoulders who recognizes that proverbial opportunity knocking on the door and most importantly opens the door and grabs the offering. He will need to get into the weight room a bit to play SS. I'm guessing thats where they bnt or see him at this time.;)

With a Cabinda commitment we are all of a sudden back in NJ, maybe not top NJ prospects but exposure in the area is great. Ryan from Rovals tweeted that this kid has only been playing DB for 4 months too. If hes already good enough to get an offer I'm excited to see what he brings down the road.

" he wants to stay on scholarship to receive his Master's Degree "
Great indicator of his intelligence. Just another reason to look at him down the road at SS, FS. I love it when coaches evaluate a kid on their own and offer. Forget the star system, especially in this type of a situation. Welcome to SU!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom