Roster moves | Syracusefan.com

Roster moves

GoSU96

Living Legend
I doubt we’ll actually see it reflected in the depth chart but here are the moves I’d to see.

OL - Davis will start. Whoever is playing right tackle needs to step up.

Wr - Alford for Sharod. Cooper for Pena as the third slot guy.

Rb - I think lutz as the 2nd tb is over. Great competition

DL - these guys have been the surprise of the season. McKinley is easing back in, Jonathan played on place kicks, he should be back next week, Lockett needs more reps. No stars but the 8 guys that have played there’s not a ton of drop off between the starters and the backups.

I doubt we’ll actually see it reflected in the depth chart but here are the moves I’d to see.

OL - Davis will start. Whoever is playing right tackle needs to step up.

Wr - Alford for Sharod. Cooper for Pena as the third slot guy.

Rb - I think lutz as the 2nd tb is over. Great competition

DL - these guys have been the surprise of the season. McKinley is easing back in, Jonathan played on place kicks, he should be back next week, Lockett needs more reps. No stars but the 8 guys that have played there’s not a ton of drop off between the starters and the backups.
Good thoughts.

We really didn’t start running the ball, and running the offense the way it was designed, until the last 3 games or so of last season. The keys appeared to be getting Dakota back on the OL and getting Elmore back at the FB/HB position.

I think it is very encouraging that we were able to run the ball pretty well without either of these guys. Even yesterday, Dakota didn’t play in all the series and I suspect he is not at 100% yet (looks a little out of shape and rusty).

It will be really interesting to see what the offense can do with Dakota 100%, Elmore back at FB and Tommy or Garrett at QB. Hoping we don’t overuse Tucker and get him all banged up. Probably time to make Howard our top backup RB. The guy is the real deal.

Need Garrett Williams and Bergeron back and Duce to play at a high level.
I don't know much about the OL, but just watching it looks like Vet and Tis take some plays off (not saying I could ever do better).

Can we rotate in some Frosh (Ellis, Cruz, Magnusson, Ilaoa, Kauhi) that are hungry and will hit and not just guys that take up space on occasion?

I know...too light/inexperienced. Don't know the playbook. Can't pick up stunts. Well teach'em and put them out there for 1 series and tell them to go like hell. Motivate them with a few focused crunch time plays.

Good thoughts.

We really didn’t start running the ball, and running the offense the way it was designed, until the last 3 games or so of last season. The keys appeared to be getting Dakota back on the OL and getting Elmore back at the FB/HB position.

I think it is very encouraging that we were able to run the ball pretty well without either of these guys. Even yesterday, Dakota didn’t play in all the series and I suspect he is not at 100% yet (looks a little out of shape and rusty).

It will be really interesting to see what the offense can do with Dakota 100%, Elmore back at FB and Tommy or Garrett at QB. Hoping we don’t overuse Tucker and get him all banged up. Probably time to make Howard our top backup RB. The guy is the real deal.
yep, still significant upside on the offense. Dakota and Elmore are going to be such major additions. Alford gives you a custis like presence and when they are in the 2x2 stack, who do you want up front, Alford or Sharon?

id also consider bumping taj outside for Queeley and put Jackson in the slot.

Good thoughts.

Strongly agree about Howard being the #2 back. I've been impressed with him since he got to SU. Tucker got banged up a few times last year so I have concerns about overusing him also.

I don't know much about the OL, but just watching it looks like Vet and Tis take some plays off (not saying I could ever do better).

Can we rotate in some Frosh (Ellis, Cruz, Magnusson, Ilaoa, Kauhi) that are hungry and will hit and not just guys that take up space on occasion?

I know...too light/inexperienced. Don't know the playbook. Can't pick up stunts. Well teach'em and put them out there for 1 series and tell them to go like hell. Motivate them with a few focused crunch time plays.
Bergeron? What do you mean back?

Yeah I am a Lutz fan because he does all the things needed pretty good and blitz pickup really well. Howard is an excellent and punishing runner. A steady diet of Tucker and Howard could wear down a number of future defenses we will see.
Love Davis being back...loving Bleich and Bergeron physicality. I am still a little concerned with center and RT going into ACC play.
Really like what Cooper showed and obviously Alford.

yep, still significant upside on the offense. Dakota and Elmore are going to be such major additions. Alford gives you a custis like presence and when they are in the 2x2 stack, who do you want up front, Alford or Sharon?

id also consider bumping taj outside for Queeley and put Jackson in the slot.
Def not Sharon. She’s the worst

Yeah I am a Lutz fan because he does all the things needed pretty good and blitz pickup really well. Howard is an excellent and punishing runner. A steady diet of Tucker and Howard could wear down a number of future defenses we will see.
Love Davis being back...loving Bleich and Bergeron physicality. I am still a little concerned with center and RT going into ACC play.
Really like what Cooper showed and obviously Alford.

I could see lutz having a role as a third down back. Similar to James white w the patriots. Good hands and good at picking up the rush.

But Howard should be RB2

lutz wasnt evewn #2 in the game on saturday it was adams

I could see lutz having a role as a third down back. Similar to James white w the patriots. Good hands and good at picking up the rush.

But Howard should be RB2
Third down out of the back field, short passes in space with blockers. He's a prototypical receiving back out of the backfield.

Good thoughts.

I'll be curious to see what our run game looks like with a healthy Elmore, healthy Davis, and maybe Ellis getting some run.

I also sincerely hope that Sharod Johnson and Damien Alford swap places, we need that guy in the lineup. He's a matchup nightmare. And he's fast! If we actually utilize the tight ends, having Alford, Benson, Taj (taking for granted he catches the ball) - those are some fast, athletic, big targets that should create mismatches all over the field. Time to let the horses out of the stable.

Still wondering how QB continues to shake out...if Shrader starts showing the ability to throw anything other than floating ducks down field then he may very well win the race. He's had a couple of 10-12 yard sideline passes while he's been in that were legit NFL difficulty level passes that he's hit on. He has the potential to be disruptive in the short game based on what I've seen so far. But if teams stack the box I'm definitely not confident in his ability to put some zip on the ball accurately down field yet. Fingers crossed we start seeing that out of him because it just makes our QB depth chart that much better. But as long as he doesn't show the capability to do that, I think TD stays out in front and Shrader is just going to be situational.

Yeah...would disagree with that perspective that he is not a P5 player.
You'd be hard pressed to find another P5 team that he would see the field for. MAYBE he'd see the field for Kansas? So I guess at best, he's a fringe P5 player.

Good thoughts.

Good call on Tucker. I thought he played a quarter to many Saturday. I like Howard and believe he needs to get some run. Wonder if he fumbles in practice? Also want to see us go with some size at WR. Let Liberty play press coverage against 2 6 5 guys. Last point is lets take advantage of Mang. Kid has hands like a catchers mitt and is very agile.

Good call on Tucker. I thought he played a quarter to many Saturday. I like Howard and believe he needs to get some run. Wonder if he fumbles in practice? Also want to see us go with some size at WR. Let Liberty play press coverage against 2 6 5 guys. Last point is lets take advantage of Mang. Kid has hands like a catchers mitt and is very agile.
Howard has historically had some issues with fumbling. I think Adams has as well if I remember correctly. So that may very well be the case as to there being more kid gloves with them.

Bergeron? What do you mean back?
I understand he missed some time due to minor owies. Would love him as an anchoring, enduring pillar.

But Howard should be RB2
He can still be a situational back IMO, he still has a role on this team and is an asset I hope we continue to use.

How is Jakob Bradford progressing?

Is he a legitimate /ready replacement for Vetterello?