Roy Hibbert, jerk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Hibbert, jerk

I haven't heard it before either. Making sure I've got it right, it's used when someone says "something that sounds like it could be perceived to be homosixual (sic)"? So, rather than have the shame or stigma of someone thinking you meant a comment literally and are in fact a homosixual, it's used by homophobic people who aren't secure in their own sixuality. I think I've got it now. Some players need to realize that what is acceptable to say to their friends and what they say into a microphone might be two completely different things.

Interesting take. I find it a bit odd that so many seem to deem it necessary to broadcast their sexuality. Does one really need to say "no homo" or something similar? Does one really need rainbow flag bumper stickers? Not sure I get any of it to be quite honest.

All of this really confirms what JB said. No one player (not even Lebron) can win without their teammates contributing and being factors.
Good point, Cherie. No doubt Carmelo was the star and key player on the 2003 national champs, but 'Cuse doesn't win without the other parts (Pace, Edelin, Duany, McNamara, McNeil, Warrick, Forth).

The man graduated with a 3.0 at Georgetown as a student athlete.

He isn't dumb.

But
But

...Uconn.

Right but then again look at the winners Georgetown has somehow gotten academically eligible over the years. Some who've hit women with chairs at bowling alleys, some that are working in post offices, etc.

I haven't heard it before either. Making sure I've got it right, it's used when someone says "something that sounds like it could be perceived to be homosixual (sic)"? So, rather than have the shame or stigma of someone thinking you meant a comment literally and are in fact a homosixual, it's used by homophobic people who aren't secure in their own sixuality. I think I've got it now. Some players need to realize that what is acceptable to say to their friends and what they say into a microphone might be two completely different things.

Yeah, it's not exactly something you say if you're supposed to be coming off like a professional. But it isn't a derogatory thing either.

Like someone else's example, telling a friend "you look good, no homo". It's not really a big deal. It's just a thing the younger crowd says, like "that's what she said" or that YOLO crap.

After reading the posts in this thread I expected much worse.

Give me a break. Another example of the pussification of America, IMO. Everyone is so easily offended.

No homo? That is said all the time. There are PLENTY of more offensive, "politically incorrect" slurs out there.

In fact, I bet the majority of the people here have used them before.

exactly what i thought...

scumbag, jerk, etc... lol. he didnt slur anything in a derogatory way. didnt call anyone the n word, didnt call anyone f****t.

next "thats what she said" is going to be some feminist movement.

Google 'Gus Johnson pause' and 'Dwight Howard pause'

exactly what i thought...

scumbag, jerk, etc... lol. he didnt slur anything in a derogatory way. didnt call anyone the n word, didnt call anyone f****t.

next "thats what she said" is going to be some feminist movement.

Google 'Gus Johnson pause' and 'Dwight Howard pause'

The "that's what she said" feminist thing is exactly what I thought of when I heard people freaking out about this

Interesting take. I find it a bit odd that so many seem to deem it necessary to broadcast their sixuality. Does one really need to say "no homo" or something similar? Does one really need rainbow flag bumper stickers? Not sure I get any of it to be quite honest.

whats with all the sixuality talk?!

To be fair, I've probably read one book in my 3 years at Syracuse, and I would have graduated early if I wasnt doing a double major with a minor.

Right but you probably weren't a big time athlete that spends a majority of the year traveling either. Chances are Hibbert is average or above intelligence and just said one of a million dumb things kids say. YOLO! Smart people say dumb things all the time.

Right but you probably weren't a big time athlete that spends a majority of the year traveling either. Chances are Hibbert is average or above intelligence and just said one of a million dumb things kids say. YOLO! Smart people say dumb things all the time.
Exactly, but, just for the sake of discussion, let's say LeBron James dropped a"mother**cker" and "homo" at a post-game press conference. Would you be so understanding? The legions of haters would be calling for LeBron's balding head.

The man graduated with a 3.0 at Georgetown as a student athlete.

He isn't dumb.

well there might have a been a few hail Mary's in there if you get my drift

Exactly, but, just for the sake of discussion, let's say LeBron James dropped a"mother**cker" and "homo" at a post-game press conference. Would you be so understanding? The legions of haters would be calling for LeBron's balding head.

I'd actually be more understanding since Lebron didn't go to Georgetown.

I do think it's funny that people feign outrage over stuff because it was said at a presser when we all know full well these guys say worse during the game and in the locker room afterwards. Why expect any different when the camera is on?

Move along. Nothing to see here. Roy Hibbert gave props to Jason Collins when he came out. It was a JOKE. Was it stupid to say at a press conference? Yes, very stupid but people are wayyyyyy to sensitive. Are the ones getting their panties in a bunch over his comment also freaking out about what the OSU president said about Catholics? Or do we only pick and choose what we get offended by?

That is actually a good hypothetical. LeBron saying that would definitely cause a good deal of outrage.

Most people I know consider me very PC, but I don't believe that this was particularly hateful in comparison to many of these 'stories'. However, if we think of the context of a professional fulfilling part of his role (appearing at press conferences), it was definitely bad judgment and warrants a fine. The combination of the two quotes was clearly more than just an outburst.

Luckily, we don't have anyone involved in Syracuse that would...or, we wouldn't have had ten people...never mind. ;)

...And Georgetown still sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom