Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

Matt Doherty! He's an insider and has experience.

Matt Doherty! He's an insider and has experience.

lol. Will be interesting to see if they go with an alum like Davis or Stackhouse, or go outside the family.

Based on how they’ve always done things, it seems they’d go alum. Davis is a long time assistant. Stackhouse has been a college head coach for 2 years, but they haven’t won. But it’s Vanderbilt.

Wonder if he wishes he stuck in the NBA as an assistant for 2 more years and then rode that Juwan Howard wave, rather than going to Vandy and losing and possibly hurting his stock(even though it probably actually made him a better and more ready coach).

Personally, I think he can coach and would do well there. He was such a star there with a near 20 year NBA career...wonder if the fanbase would overlook his 2 year record at Vandy?

Roy Williams was asked what motivated him to still grind on the recruiting trail visiting high school gyms to the extent it might not be necessary.
"I know I can win with great players, what I don't know is whether I could win with anything other than great players. And I don't ever want to find out."

When you lose the fire to recruit the best, it's time to go.

lol. Will be interesting to see if they go with an alum like Davis or Stackhouse, or go outside the family.

Based on how they’ve always done things, it seems they’d go alum. Davis is a long time assistant. Stackhouse has been a college head coach for 2 years, but they haven’t won. But it’s Vanderbilt.

Wonder if he wishes he stuck in the NBA as an assistant for 2 more years and then rode that Juwan Howard wave, rather than going to Vandy and losing and possibly hurting his stock(even though it probably actually made him a better and more ready coach).

Personally, I think he can coach and would do well there. He was such a star there with a near 20 year NBA career...wonder if the fanbase would overlook his 2 year record at Vandy?
That's really insightful. My guess is that the legacy of Doherty might send them in another direction. I don't have a clue what they will do, but I am sure they wish this wasn't happening this year. Never has the ACC seemed so weak. My guess is they make an appeal to Jim Boeheim hoping his two sons will come along with him.

If you look at the ten coaches CBS lists as possible replacements, it makes you wonder what the list will look like when JB retires. Not impressive.
Hop will be the best coach in the country I don't need any lists.

Again JB commenting on a situation he knows nothing about. His need to defend his fellow 70 year olds is crazy to me. Shut up and stay in your lane, it's bumpy enough.
Yeah, shut up when you’re interviewed old man!

I get it, right, given the pushback with literally everything that’s said to any media outlet now. As well as the Duke comment earlier. But he’s 76 and asked a question about NCAA Basketball. Is it really all that disturbing?

Walker Kessler my not be “his lane” but basketball certainly is.

This is the stuff I could care less about, and after getting thrown around yesterday and probably today it will filter out of the news cycle and be gone forever. Lord knows they’ve got enough transfers to write about.

After listening to Roy last night and JBs comments you know this had to do with recruiting and transfers to some degree. I still think there may be a health issue somewhere but it wasn’t all that

Yeah, shut up when you’re interviewed old man!

I get it, right, given the pushback with literally everything that’s said to any media outlet now. As well as the Duke comment earlier. But he’s 76 and asked a question about NCAA Basketball. Is it really all that disturbing?

Walker Kessler my not be “his lane” but basketball certainly is.

This is the stuff I could care less about, and after getting thrown around yesterday and probably today it will filter out of the news cycle and be gone forever. Lord knows they’ve got enough transfers to write about.
He is more than qualified to discuss how the current state of the game impacts him and this program. He is, and always has been, out of his lane when he talks about players from any other program, leagues that opt out of playing, other coaches who comment on other coaches not named JB, coaches who call him out for lying about why a game was played. The list is endless.

He is defended on this board with the line "we don't know what goes on inside the program", which is true. Apparently that same logic doesn't apply to JB when he feels free to pontificate on every issue under the sun of which he has nothing to do with.

The school (ADJW) and others should be telling him what I am writing - shut up, stay in your lane, and if you don't like it, we will take our program back.

It’s like...I’d LOVE to watch a b-ball game with Boeheim. He’s probably the number 1 person in the world I’d love to watch a game with. In that sense, I appreciate and enjoy his candor.

But as an Orange fan, in today’s climate - he’s gotta stop talking publicly about other team’s players. I cringe every time. Any other coaches out there comment publicly on any of our transfers?

I would like to watch a game with Rick Majerus. He's not alive anymore. But just have to throw that out there, if he were, that would be the best. Brilliant basketball mind, funny and smart guy, and probably would have some decent snacks.

But Boeheim would be high up on the list as well.

I would like to watch a game with Rick Majerus. He's not alive anymore. But just have to throw that out there, if he were, that would be the best. Brilliant basketball mind, funny and smart guy, and probably would have some decent snacks.

But Boeheim would be high up on the list as well.
The trouble with JB doing color work is that the play by play guy would never get a word in.

The trouble with JB doing color work is that the play by play guy would never get a word in.

Isn't that always fun with the old guys, though?

Knight, Thompson, Walton, McGuire. So much fun when they would monopolize the conversation.

Isn't that always fun with the old guys, though?

Knight, Thompson, Walton, McGuire. So much fun when they would monopolize the conversation.
Um... let’s leave “the old guys” stuff out of it.

You heard it here first. Next UNC head coach will be none other than “Psycho T”Tyler Hansbrough.