Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

Hubert Davis should hire Larry Brown or a fired HC as an assistant like Michigan hired Phil Martelli for Juwan Howard.

It will help him.

Jeff Lebo perhaps.

The fact UNC hired Hubert Davis really makes the odds our next HC is Mike Hopkins or a current assistant a lot higher.
Hop Hop Hop...but also UNC have struck out with external hires and not kept in the fam.

The fact UNC hired Hubert Davis really makes the odds our next HC is Mike Hopkins or a current assistant a lot higher.

Yep. Fans aren’t going to like it, but it’s 99% what is going to happen.

I think I'd rather Red with a recruiter filling his assistant spot than Hop coming back.

But I guess that's a conversation we can have in July when there is really nothing to talk about. Lol

Yep. Fans aren’t going to like it, but it’s 99% what is going to happen.
Unless Hops dad is flying back across the country to live with him, I am not so sure that would be the case. Maybe I am wrong but pretty sure a key reason for heading west was being near his father. Don't remember if it was health related or not but he was a big factor so I had read.

Unless Hops dad is flying back across the country to live with him, I am not so sure that would be the case. Maybe I am wrong but pretty sure a key reason for heading west was being near his father. Don't remember if it was health related or not but he was a big factor so I had read.

Things change. And his wife went to HS with my boss in Cicero. I’m sure she would love to come back

Things change. And his wife went to HS with my boss in Cicero. I’m sure she would love to come back
Completely believe that, she is from the area. I heard after Hop had spent so many years here and made it his home, that she was 100 percent about heading out west for him. Pretty cool. I could see him stay out west or come back east. It will be interesting when the time comes.

His family lives in Southern Cal, not Seattle.

Savy by the UNC AD. Appease the old man Roy and homer alums by granting their wish and throw Hubert Davis to the wolves at the same time. He has three years to back channel his real search and be ready to launch when Davis craps out.

It’s kind of crazy looking at UNC’s last two hires...

Roy Williams: 10 years as a UNC assistant, 15 years as Kansas HC (400+ wins, 9 conference champions, 4 final fours, etc...)

Hubert Davis: 8 years as a UNC assistant

I didn't realize Hubert Davis had been a UNC assistant for as many years as he has been. Seems like he was at ESPN just 2 or 3 years ago. Wes Miller would have still been my choice but Hubert might do ok. Be interesting to watch.

I didn't realize Hubert Davis had been a UNC assistant for as many years as he has been. Seems like he was at ESPN just 2 or 3 years ago. Wes Miller would have still been my choice but Hubert might do ok. Be interesting to watch.
Shocked it wasn’t Miller or Stackhouse.