Class of 2014 - Rutgers disintegrating | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Rutgers disintegrating

Im relatively new to this board, but it seems to me there is an unhealthy obsession by some posters with Rutgers (Butgirls, etc). I can see why in the Big East they were rivals but we're no longer in the same conference and aside from battling them for some of the same recruits who cares about these guys? Shouldn't we be setting our sights on the Clemson/Florida State's of the world? Let's raise our standards not lower them.

Had you been around for a few years you would've experienced some insufferable internet tough guys from their fan base. You're right in that our sights should be much higher moving forward but I think quite a few enjoy posting stuff simply because they know there are Rutgers trolls that still skim the board for any perceived slight to their team. Most don't respond anymore and perhaps they don't even visit as frequently if at all. I stopped visiting their board a few years ago when we stopped recruting the same prospects but some still do and put themselves in the same position as the trolls they take shots at here. Eventually you'll just stop reading the threads or try to inject fact into them to no avail.

I do enjoy watching them lose though but don't have the same vitriol that I did when Schiano was their coach. That guys is a class A scumbag on many levels.

Im relatively new to this board, but it seems to me there is an unhealthy obsession by some posters with Rutgers (Butgirls, etc). I can see why in the Big East they were rivals but we're no longer in the same conference and aside from battling them for some of the same recruits who cares about these guys? Shouldn't we be setting our sights on the Clemson/Florida State's of the world? Let's raise our standards not lower them.
I agree. As an old timer who went to school when Floyd Little was running wild, Penn St. was the team I hated. When VT. was in the Big East, that was the team I hated because I live in the Richmond area and VT. was good. Penn St. and VT. have a football history. Rutgers went from being a joke to being mediocre after Schiano took over. We need to put the Robinson days behind us and stop thinking that Rutgers is on a par with us.

I agree. As an old timer who went to school when Floyd Little was running wild, Penn St. was the team I hated. When VT. was in the Big East, that was the team I hated because I live in the Richmond area and VT. was good. Penn St. and VT. have a football history. Rutgers went from being a joke to being mediocre after Schiano took over. We need to put the Robinson days behind us and stop thinking that Rutgers is on a par with us.

That's the argument on this board over the past year or so. I don't see them on par with us - just a bit of fun to warm ourselves by their dumpster fire.

We don't see them as our rival - they see themselves that way and as such it's fun watching the truth hit them like a train.

And it's worth watching in so much NJ recruiting could be opening back up. We do need a better NJ recruiter... But having both UCONN and Rutgers fail even a little - should help us.

I agree- My grandfather attended Syracuse on the GI bill and my father and brother are both SU alums-- I grew up during the lean years of regular beatings at the hands of JoePa. Rob Moore exercised many of those demons when he hauled in the bomb from McPherson his freshman year. The Rutgers years are a blip on the radar and will soon be relegated to football obscurity once again. I agree Schiano is a first class loon but he's long gone. To me Penn St will always be the team I hate the most and stealing Holley and Cabinda out from under us- along with the debacle earlier this season- fuels my white-hot hatred for them even more. I'm looking forward to putting a team on the field that will compete for ACC titles. Got no time for Rutgers!

I agree- My grandfather attended Syracuse on the GI bill and my father and brother are both SU alums-- I grew up during the lean years of regular beatings at the hands of JoePa. Rob Moore exercised many of those demons when he hauled in the bomb from McPherson his freshman year. The Rutgers years are a blip on the radar and will soon be relegated to football obscurity once again. I agree Schiano is a first class loon but he's long gone. To me Penn St will always be the team I hate the most and stealing Holley and Cabinda out from under us- along with the debacle earlier this season- fuels my white-hot hatred for them even more. I'm looking forward to putting a team on the field that will compete for ACC titles. Got no time for Rutgers!

That's really what it comes down to. If you have the time to hate on them - it's kind of a fun hobby. But the real rival spot is reserved for teams who are good at sports.

Now that they are in the Big 10 they can have a rivalry with, er, um...

Has nothing to do with the teams. It has everything to do with the fans. After all the bluster we endured during their mediocre years, it feels good to know they are dying inside...they brought it on themselves. Turning the other cheek does not apply here...

I don't get why people read and respond to a thread that they don't have any interest in. There are threads that I don't find interesting, that sometimes there are repeated in other threads. Guess what? I don't read them. Personally, as a Jersey resident, I love the RU implosion threads. Others don't. To each his own. If they get your panties in such a bunch, I'm sure there are other things you could be reading.

Syracuse was in Newark recently where Rutgers commit LB Sidney Gopre plays. Could he be a future Rutgers decommitt?

Good guess but we're recruiting a couple of juniors in Newark.

In case anyone was wondering, Rutgers top recruit, WR Saeed Blacknall, just flipped to Penn State

It's not about Rutgers, per se, it's about being able to get recruits from NJ. They stand in the way of that, but maybe they're beginning to lose their stranglehold (vs. us, anyway) with NJ talent. (Of course I recognize that Penn State, ND and other schools get the top kids there), but it's like the Florida of the Northeast - that's where the most quality recruits are, after PA and OH.

Do you think the Rutgers people are as obsessed with the Cuse like some SU fans are with them?

It's not about Rutgers, per se, it's about being able to get recruits from NJ. They stand in the way of that, but maybe they're beginning to lose their stranglehold (vs. us, anyway) with NJ talent. (Of course I recognize that Penn State, ND and other schools get the top kids there), but it's like the Florida of the Northeast - that's where the most quality recruits are, after PA and OH.
Totally agree!!

Happy to see Rutgers struggle but I don't enjoy Penn State benefiting from it. The Penn State program and their fans are the scum of the earth.
Haha most are scum. I was at metlife this past season and some of them wound up respecting my fanhood

Really?? Any fan over 40 could care less about Rutgers as we still see them as the team SU always rolled over by 30+ points every game. Their weak schedule that Schino created to build wins with the combination of the GROB era has made the younger fans think of RU as relevant. It's kinda sad for us older fans to be put into the same category as RU when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully SS and Staff can get us out of the bizaro world that we are in and back to reality Us older fans have always seen Penn St as our true gauge to success.

Really?? Any fan over 40 could care less about Rutgers as we still see them as the team SU always rolled over by 30+ points every game. Their weak schedule that Schino created to build wins with the combination of the GROB era has made the younger fans think of RU as relevant. It's kinda sad for us older fans to be put into the same category as RU when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully SS and Staff can get us out of the bizaro world that we are in and back to reality Us older fans have always seen Penn St as our true gauge to success.

I'm over 40 and I care (it's "couldn't care less" btw). I care because they are still a football villain in my eyes, and will be until an ACC team takes their spot. I don't consider them a rival, per se, but a team I have come to love to hate...sort of like Notre Dame.

Sorry Teaxacpa about my grammar...my bad. I will never see RU as a villain. It's obvious I set my sights higher on football relivent teams.

In case anyone was wondering, Rutgers top recruit, WR Saeed Blacknall, just flipped to Penn State
Even more intresting then Rutgirls demise, is that according to PSU forum, Franklin is weighing in on what to do with this latest flip. His class is now officailly full (23) and he has at least two blue chips ( 5 star OT Prince and 4 star S Amani Oruwariye) that look like they want to come there. The ONLY alternative is for Franklin is to pull a schooly or two from other previously committed players. Not saying he does this, but I got blasted by the supreme chancellor on this one already, and all I have to say is never say anything is impossible. To me, this is going to be quite interesting down the stretch while we wait on our possible last committs as well. Ofcourse Gray Shirting is a possibility in play, but the penalty there is loosing a slot or two in next years class and of course the players have to agree to it. Reragdless, as I anticipated, there are players on this recruiting class for PSU that are sweating this out coming down the stretch.

Even more intresting then Rutgirls demise, is that according to PSU forum, Franklin is weighing in on what to do with this latest flip. His class is now officailly full (23) and he has at least two blue chips ( 5 star OT Prince and 4 star S Amani Oruwariye) that look like they want to come there. The ONLY alternative is for Franklin is to pull a schooly or two from other previously committed players. Not saying he does this, but I got blasted by the supreme chancellor on this one already, and all I have to say is never say anything is impossible. To me, this is going to be quite interesting down the stretch while we wait on our possible last committs as well. Ofcourse Gray Shirting is a possibility in play, but the penalty there is loosing a slot or two in next years class and of course the players have to agree to it. Reragdless, as I anticipated, there are players on this recruiting class for PSU that are sweating this out coming down the stretch.
Seems to me we are pretty deep into the process at this point to worry about Franklin pulling a scholly and us benefiting. If that does happen though, I can imagine Rutgers being a beneficiary.

We aren't getting Cabinda or Holley.