Rutgers game is huge | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers game is huge

well as much as i hate rutgers, schiano so far is making an impact recruiting and he did he very good job and this is how all this is starting, or at least a big help is during the hiring process he pretty much had demands/things he needed before he would accept the position. He got ALOT of money for his assistants(like 2nd in the B10 ) thats impressive considering the competition & $$$ in that league so thats impressive & also shows the commitment to the football program so far.
SU better take notice and im sure they are. Schiano may not be the best at all at Xs & Os but he knows how to create some buzz & its obvious he is doing that!
So is Syracuse vs Rutgers a huge game in a lot of different aspects.. Absolutely!

Also does anyone know how much the ACC Network brought in this past season?
Its a shame its 1st season had to be going on during all this ridiculousness!!!
We, The ACC need to close the gap enough at least to compete financially, which obviously IMO is a big part of having success.
Like i said i do like our new commisioner though

We, The ACC need to close the gap enough at least to compete financially, which obviously IMO is a big part of having success.

The ACCN launched before the 2019 season not 2020

The ACCN is already making more than the $3M ESPN initially paid each team pre-network. I read on another board the latest payout was $4M. With Comcast expected to sign on by September the numbers will take a nice jump.

This is the biggest game on the schedule because this is our biggest rival now. The amount of oxygen spent on Rutgers means they are something. It’s btw them and BC as our biggest rivals now. At various points we were bigger rivals with Penn St, WVU, even Miami for a few years but this is the big one now.

Love to win this and send a message but my expectations for Syracuse football are 3-4 wins this year coming off last year. If we over shoot that I’ll be ecstatic

I think this game will be a near sell-out.

first home game with fans in about 22 months.
First look at the new renovations for most.
Rekindle our rivalry with Buttgers.
Lots of Buttgers fans make the trip up.
I think the first two things are significant factors. Especially the first one.

I don’t think there’s a rivalry to renew...it’s a message board rivalry between a couple hundred people from 10 years ago. And I don’t think many Rutgers fans make the trip. They don’t even go to their home games.

The article I was talking about
Remember...the NCAA BB tournaments, etc...were not played

Some Article blurbs from the N&O

BY LUKE DECOCK
MAY 21, 2021 05:55 PM

The ACC’s tax filing from the 2019-20 academic year, provided by the conference on Friday, shows record revenue of $496.7 million for the conference, up from $455.4 million. For the first time, no full member received less than $30 million from the ACC. A good chunk of that comes from broadcast revenue, which jumped 15 percent to $332.8 million over the 10 months since the network’s launch.

With the increased broadcasting revenue, the ACC managed to increase its average payout per school to $32.3 million -- not counting Notre Dame -- but still lags behind some of its Power 5 peers. Powered by the Big Ten Network, that conference paid its legacy members $54.3 million, according to USA Today.

The SEC hasn’t yet filed its 2019-20 tax form, but it paid its members entitled to a full share between $44.5 million and $47.4 million in 2018-19 and recently announced a one-time bonus payment of $23 million per school to help cover COVID shortfalls.

Big 12 payouts were between $37 million and $40.5 million and the Pac-12 paid its members $33.6 million.

Those payouts are expected to continue to increase as the ACC Network continues to grow and mature, although next year’s numbers will be skewed dramatically by the pandemic and Notre Dame’s one-year cameo as a full football member. Not until May 2022 will there be a good sense of where the network is taking the ACC.

“I’d just remind everybody we’re still in the infancy stage,” Phillips said. “I know the history of the Big Ten Network quite well, quite intimately. They had over a decade jump on us and you can see the success of that particular network. We’re bullish on our future as well and feel very strongly we’re headed in a similar kind of direction.”

A separate $46.5 million increase from 2018-19 was expected as the Orange Bowl was not part of the College Football Playoff, as it had been the previous year. But payments from the NCAA dropped $37.4 million due to COVID, and conference tournament revenue was also down slightly because of the cancellation of the 2020 ACC tournament in Greensboro.

For the first time, the ACC disclosed $301,553 in lobbying expenses regarding “issues related to potential legislation regarding student-athletes licensing their name, image and likeness for compensation.” John Swofford made $4 million in his final full year as commissioner.

That's a 9% jump with COVID cutting into 3 months of the year and no Comcast.

This is the biggest game on the schedule because this is our biggest rival now. The amount of oxygen spent on Rutgers means they are something. It’s btw them and BC as our biggest rivals now. At various points we were bigger rivals with Penn St, WVU, even Miami for a few years but this is the big one now.

Love to win this and send a message but my expectations for Syracuse football are 3-4 wins this year coming off last year. If we over shoot that I’ll be ecstatic
I think that's a bit of a misread - I think we have good reason to kind of hate Shady. The ink spilled on them in their dumpster fire thread is really just because they are fun to laugh at and the hits keep coming as evidenced by the breadth/length of the thread.

I don't think we have a rival at the moment - maybe BC or Pitt. I kind of hate NC State. I'd spit in Clawson's coffee given a chance. FSU would be fun to hate more, but we need to take a jump to make that work.

Respectfully disagree, and quite adamantly.

Rutgers is an Internet message board rival, true. They are decidedly not an on-the-field, most-of-the-fanbase-cares rival.

Sadly, SU doesn't really have a rival in football. If you squint you can try to convince yourself that our rivals are BC and Pitt. I guess they are, although there's so little heat there, I'd say that they're better categorized as "longtime traditional opponents" than "rivals". But that may be semantics.

I'd argue WVU was our last real rival, and that died with the Big East football conference.

Rutgers is an Internet message board rival, true. They are decidedly not an on-the-field, most-of-the-fanbase-cares rival.

Sadly, SU doesn't really have a rival in football. If you squint you can try to convince yourself that our rivals are BC and Pitt. I guess they are, although there's so little heat there, I'd say that they're better categorized as "longtime traditional opponents" than "rivals". But that may be semantics.

I'd argue WVU was our last real rival, and that died with the Big East football conference.

Yup. Only rivals we’ve had in the last 30 years were (briefly)Miami, VT and WVU, and those were killed by conference realignment and/or our program falling off the map.

the general SU fanbase that doesn’t post on Syracusefan has never cared about Rutgers.

The ACCN is already making more than the $3M ESPN initially paid each team pre-network. I read on another board the latest payout was $4M. With Comcast expected to sign on by September the numbers will take a nice jump.
Beautiful!
Keep ringing that register more n more each year

The ACCN launched before the 2019 season not 2020
I know when it was launched but I already heard the figures for the 1st year. I want to make sure it keeps going up, that's why I want to know about this past season.

BC had a pretty nice run, but it won't be the same because neither of us are all that good anymore.

Are there any two border state schools that have played more consecutive years without the fanbases giving 2 sh !ts than Syracuse and Pitt?

We need to win this game because Rutgers stinks, and we need to beat teams that stink.
I agree and I think the win is needed more for fan support than recruiting credibility. If Rutgers looks a lot better than us during an earlier phase of a rebuild..... fanbase will not be thrilled.

BC had a pretty nice run, but it won't be the same because neither of us are all that good anymore.

Are there any two border state schools that have played more consecutive years without the fanbases giving 2 sh !ts than Syracuse and Pitt?
A couple years ago I posted remarkable stats from our Pitt series, which boiled down to the fact that each program has stomped the other for long stretches (currently we're the stompee), and that we have almost never played each other when both programs were good. There has been almost no opportunity to play mutually meaningful games and generate an intense rivalry. It's kind crazy.

I think that's a bit of a misread - I think we have good reason to kind of hate Shady. The ink spilled on them in their dumpster fire thread is really just because they are fun to laugh at and the hits keep coming as evidenced by the breadth/length of the thread.

I don't think we have a rival at the moment - maybe BC or Pitt. I kind of hate NC State. I'd spit in Clawson's coffee given a chance. FSU would be fun to hate more, but we need to take a jump to make that work.
sometimes, you r just amazing. i had you on ignore for awhile but changed it. you are fun to read for a short period. i look forward to more as wisdom.

A couple years ago I posted remarkable stats from our Pitt series, which boiled down to the fact that each program has stomped the other for long stretches (currently we're the stompee), and that we have almost never played each other when both programs were good. There has been almost no opportunity to play mutually meaningful games and generate an intense rivalry. It's kind crazy.

They were Rutgers/Temple bad in the 90s.

And since that bottoming out, even when they were good, they were still just mediocre. Wanny used that new Steelers facility and brought in recruits, but they were never that exciting ranked team who brought any energy to a road game. Plus none of their fans travel so there's no added Dome excitement there.

They could just never accomplish what West Virginia could. Pitt's only BCS bowl was a 4 way tie to win the worst BCS/P5 conference of all time. Which would have been our bid if we could beat Temple and their QB Mike Vick (err, Walter Washington).

They are boring. And they have beaten us 16 of the last 19 years. Now I'm getting angry and really want to win this game. Who's with me? (who's still awake?).

No offense but the Rutgers part is nonsense. There's a weird board fascination with them but that's the waters edge.

BC is a rival I agree.

No offense but the Rutgers part is nonsense. There's a weird board fascination with them but that's the waters edge.

BC is a rival I agree.

Agreed on Rutgers. It's internet banter for 200 people other than that there is nothing to see. Like I said, I would much rather beat a conference foe than Rutgers

They could just never accomplish what West Virginia could. Pitt's only BCS bowl was a 4 way tie to win the worst BCS/P5 conference of all time. Which would have been our bid if we could beat Temple and their QB Mike Vick (err, Walter Washington).
Pitt's crowing achievement in this century besides that BCS bowl was ruining WVU's undefeated season a few years later. The refs were doing everything they could for the 'neers and they still couldn't win. Also the usual ride or die P and D defenders were legitimately trying to sell the rest of us on the greatness of Walter.

I think the first two things are significant factors. Especially the first one.

I don’t think there’s a rivalry to renew...it’s a message board rivalry between a couple hundred people from 10 years ago. And I don’t think many Rutgers fans make the trip. They don’t even go to their home games.
Many Rutgers fans will make the trip. We may have our best SU game showing ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom