Rutgers game is huge | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers game is huge

Welcome back Al. Hope you will be among the Rutgers fans attending, and you can be part of the Fine Lot tailgate!
Al, I just sent you a private message. We would love to have you join us.

Respectfully disagree, and quite adamantly.

Rutgers is an Internet message board rival, true. They are decidedly not an on-the-field, most-of-the-fanbase-cares rival.

Sadly, SU doesn't really have a rival in football. If you squint you can try to convince yourself that our rivals are BC and Pitt. I guess they are, although there's so little heat there, I'd say that they're better categorized as "longtime traditional opponents" than "rivals". But that may be semantics.

I'd argue WVU was our last real rival, and that died with the Big East football conference.

Maybe so but I guess we can judge it on the attendance for a team we consider little sister. I just get the sense the last few of these games were played at a level of a rivalry. With Schiano back I think this will ratchet it up once again. I should revise what I said. This is what a rivalry is now. It pales in comparison to what our rivals were in the 90s when the teams were both operating at high levels. To me, the Miami rivalry (very one sided mind you) ran from like 92-01. We lived for that game. They had 4-5 rivalries but for Syracuse that was the big one.

BC to me is a personal rivalry that I probably give more credence to than the average person because I'm a proud Bostonian who went to Syracuse. It means more to me to beat them. However, I can't think of many games where both teams were solidly ranked (92/93/94 might be it?)

Maybe so but I guess we can judge it on the attendance for a team we consider little sister. I just get the sense the last few of these games were played at a level of a rivalry. With Schiano back I think this will ratchet it up once again. I should revise what I said. This is what a rivalry is now. It pales in comparison to what our rivals were in the 90s when the teams were both operating at high levels. To me, the Miami rivalry (very one sided mind you) ran from like 92-01. We lived for that game. They had 4-5 rivalries but for Syracuse that was the big one.

BC to me is a personal rivalry that I probably give more credence to than the average person because I'm a proud Bostonian who went to Syracuse. It means more to me to beat them. However, I can't think of many games where both teams were solidly ranked (92/93/94 might be it?)

I disagree. Coming to the Dome is a much easier road trip for Rutgers fans to make than West Lafayette, Indiana or Iowa City, Iowa.

3 1/2 hours from here to the dome at 75 mph an no unusual traffic (not that I’ve done it, mind you)
C1652DFE-7CDB-4AB4-B869-5BEE96E4A7EF.jpeg

Respectfully disagree, and quite adamantly.

Rutgers is an Internet message board rival, true. They are decidedly not an on-the-field, most-of-the-fanbase-cares rival.

Sadly, SU doesn't really have a rival in football. If you squint you can try to convince yourself that our rivals are BC and Pitt. I guess they are, although there's so little heat there, I'd say that they're better categorized as "longtime traditional opponents" than "rivals". But that may be semantics.

I'd argue WVU was our last real rival, and that died with the Big East football conference.
I feel like Maryland had potential, but then they left the ACC.

Many Rutgers fans will make the trip. We may have our best SU game showing ever.

no I don’t have the black jeep anymore. Lol.

hows it going?

AL, are you predicting a Big 10 or national championship in year 2 or 3? I have to know. Welcome back too

AL, are you predicting a Big 10 or national championship in year 2 or 3? I have to know. Welcome back too
best ever other school poster. Have always loved the passion. Should be a great weekend.

We have no rivals because we stink. In the past roughly 2 decades(since Freeney left) we have had 4 winning seasons. That's 20%. 1-10 last year. People talk about how Rutgers doesn't move the needle for most of the fanbase. We don't move the needle for anyone else at this point either.

We have no rivals because we stink. In the past roughly 2 decades(since Freeney left) we have had 4 winning seasons. That's 20%. 1-10 last year. People talk about how Rutgers doesn't move the needle for most of the fanbase. We don't move the needle for anyone else at this point either.
I actually agree with this. Tough to have rivals with the results we’ve had. It’s a benefit of winning consistently.

But I’d still put our fans over Rutgers fans any day of the week. We have history worth remembering.

Good thing you didn't post this in the Rutgers Dumpster thread. You would have been CRUSHED lol

I doubt there is a team or fan on our schedule that doesn‘t pencil their game against us as a win. It’s sad, but we haven’t put much fear in opponents.

Good thing you didn't post this in the Rutgers Dumpster thread. You would have been CRUSHED lol
Jeez!!!!! I never said we were as bad as those who reside in Shi* Stadium! Just that we have no rivals because we haven't been even remotely scary in a very long time. We've had flashed but nothing that could snowball into something that would catch fire. I still think we can.

Jeez!!!!! I never said we were as bad as those who reside in Shi* Stadium! Just that we have no rivals because we haven't been even remotely scary in a very long time. We've had flashed but nothing that could snowball into something that would catch fire. I still think we can.
You should take a self imposed ban for paraphrasing He Who Shall Not Be Named.

I doubt there is a team or fan on our schedule that doesn‘t pencil their game against us as a win. It’s sad, but we haven’t put much fear in opponents.
RU fans would be more excited to play Penn state and Michigan, but would put Syracuse over an Illinois or NorthWestern game
Still a lot of old timers that appreciate the old rivalry

RU fans would be more excited to play Penn state and Michigan, but would put Syracuse over an Illinois or NorthWestern game
True however, if we played every year...it would be different. So many NJ kids go to SU and that creates a nice storyline.

Yeah, you guys are def behind FSU and Clemson, but it will be fun

albany fans might not

BC has beaten us enough times back when we were still pretty good that we should count them as a rival.

BC has beaten us enough times back when we were still pretty good that we should count them as a rival.

When was that? Our window of being pretty good was 1987-1998 and we went 10-2 in that span vs BC. Those two Ws were were 6-4-1 and 7-4, our two worse seasons during that stretch. The only pretty good SU team they have beaten was the 2010 team.

In the 2000s they are 7-7 vs SU. The SU teams with winning records were 2000 6-5 and 2010 8-5. The other 5 Ws were against under .500 SU squads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom