Rutgers game is huge | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers game is huge

When was that? Our window of being pretty good was 1987-1998 and we went 10-2 in that span vs BC. Those two Ws were were 6-4-1 and 7-4, our two worse seasons during that stretch. The only pretty good SU team they have beaten was the 2010 team.

In the 2000s they are 7-7 vs SU. The SU teams with winning records were 2000 6-5 and 2010 8-5. The other 5 Ws were against under .500 SU squads.

We alternated wins with them, losing in '82, '84 and '86, as we were trying to get established under Coach Mac. "Every other game" seems rival-like to me.

Then as you mentioned, they beat two of our under-achieving teams in '93 and '94 - back to back - in seasons where we were ranked 6th in the country and 10th in the country at one point. So those losses really stung, sandwiched in between 10-2 and 9-3 seasons.

Then, they beat us in '99 and 2000. Both years we had winning records, although Pasqualoni & DeLeone were running on fumes at this point. But we were a bowl team in '99, so again, that one hurt.

So, to me, you're cherry picking the data a bit. They beat us quite a few times when it hurt, and we did not expect to lose to them. I also remember some of those games in the 1990s getting a bit chippy between us.

You can say we're not rivals, but other than West Virginia (and Va. Tech and Miami, back in the old Big East), I'd be hard pressed to say who was more of a rival than that.

Just finished reading some overviews on Rutgers and i believe that we can win this one. Shiiteano has done a good job in a short time and i believe top to bottom they have more talent but if the Dome is rocking with a full house i believe that Whites D will give them fits. If we can pull off Ohio on the road and Rutgers we will be going into the Liberty game with confidence and we are going to need every bit of it to beat them as they are going to be very good. Same team that destroyed us last year is back and they have added some impressive players. Bottom line is we need the first two games like oxygen. In my opinion this game makes or breaks the season.

Just finished reading some overviews on Rutgers and i believe that we can win this one. Shiiteano has done a good job in a short time and i believe top to bottom they have more talent but if the Dome is rocking with a full house i believe that Whites D will give them fits. If we can pull off Ohio on the road and Rutgers we will be going into the Liberty game with confidence and we are going to need every bit of it to beat them as they are going to be very good. Same team that destroyed us last year is back and they have added some impressive players. Bottom line is we need the first two games like oxygen. In my opinion this game makes or breaks the season.
any game results with last years team mea nothing as we had not even close to a normal roster

It will depend on how improved the offense is, if they are by a lot then I think we'll win. Rutgers always had talent but they never scared me on offense under Greg

It will depend on how improved the offense is, if they are by a lot then I think we'll win. Rutgers always had talent but they never scared me on offense under Greg
Schiano, surprisingly, has been completely hands off with the offensive play calling and let’s the OC do whatever they want. They ran more trick plays and gimmicks than anyone else in the country last season. 3 QBs on the field at once, fake FGs and punts, crazy field wide laterals on kick returns, all kinds of misdirection, double/triple reverses in the back field. Pretty much stuff you only do when you can’t win straight up. But it’s fun to watch

How many kids have we been in recruiting wars with Rutgers over the last 6 seasons?

That’s exactly the amount that this game matters more than any other OOC.
Well looking at just this last class Elijah Fuentes was down to us and Rutgers.
Don’t forget Trill was a flip from Rutgers.
We battle Rutgers for recruits all the time

We need an encouraging win week 1 and to market life back into the program in a very very short time.

I agree, a true home field advantage and the crowd is the key here. We need to give our players the edge.

Get 35,000+ in the dome and it will be rocking.

We alternated wins with them, losing in '82, '84 and '86, as we were trying to get established under Coach Mac. "Every other game" seems rival-like to me.

Then as you mentioned, they beat two of our under-achieving teams in '93 and '94 - back to back - in seasons where we were ranked 6th in the country and 10th in the country at one point. So those losses really stung, sandwiched in between 10-2 and 9-3 seasons.

Then, they beat us in '99 and 2000. Both years we had winning records, although Pasqualoni & DeLeone were running on fumes at this point. But we were a bowl team in '99, so again, that one hurt.

So, to me, you're cherry picking the data a bit. They beat us quite a few times when it hurt, and we did not expect to lose to them. I also remember some of those games in the 1990s getting a bit chippy between us.

You can say we're not rivals, but other than West Virginia (and Va. Tech and Miami, back in the old Big East), I'd be hard pressed to say who was more of a rival than that.
BC is our biggest football rival.

anyone who doesnt believe that is either kidding themselves with who they think is, or just say we dont have one.

1. BC
2. Pitt
3. Rutgers
4. WV

WV has had more sustained success than us and IMO recruits and plays in a little bit of a different area now than the top 3 and Syracuse.

Well looking at just this last class Elijah Fuentes was down to us and Rutgers.
Don’t forget Trill was a flip from Rutgers.
We battle Rutgers for recruits all the time
That’s about the same as BC, PITT, Wake, etc

we play them every year and winning or losing to those teams makes some impact but isn’t make or break like suggested

It’s fans having irrational flashbacks to Gerg days

Schiano, surprisingly, has been completely hands off with the offensive play calling and let’s the OC do whatever they want. They ran more trick plays and gimmicks than anyone else in the country last season. 3 QBs on the field at once, fake FGs and punts, crazy field wide laterals on kick returns, all kinds of misdirection, double/triple reverses in the back field. Pretty much stuff you only do when you can’t win straight up. But it’s fun to watch
I think Schiano likes playing junk offense tbh.

BC is our biggest football rival.

anyone who doesnt believe that is either kidding themselves with who they think is, or just say we dont have one.

1. BC
2. Pitt
3. Rutgers
4. WV

WV has had more sustained success than us and IMO recruits and plays in a little bit of a different area now than the top 3 and Syracuse.

Agree and Disagree. BC is the biggest football rival but at the same time isn't really a true rival. BC recruits Northeast parochial school ND scraps. SU isn't recruiting the same kids. They have no fans and bring 20 people to the Dome. That being said the only other team that we play yearly and is close to into a fitting rival is Pitt, and BC beats them by the slightest of margins. We have a longer history with Penn State and WV but we play neither yearly.

I really wish MD was in the ACC. IMO MD and SU would and should be true rivals. The schools are similar calibre academically and get students and athletes from the same areas. They both care about BBall and Lax. Neither really have a rival. The locations are close enough. In the real world you actually run into each others grads. We have a history in football from the mid 50s through early 90s, we played them just about every season. Although that history is a lot like Pitt with one sided win streaks.

Agree and Disagree. BC is the biggest football rival but at the same time isn't really a true rival. BC recruits Northeast parochial school ND scraps. SU isn't recruiting the same kids. They have no fans and bring 20 people to the Dome. That being said the only other team that we play yearly and is close to into a fitting rival is Pitt, and BC beats them by the slightest of margins. We have a longer history with Penn State and WV but we play neither yearly.

I really wish MD was in the ACC. IMO MD and SU would and should be true rivals. The schools are similar calibre academically and get students and athletes from the same areas. They both care about BBall and Lax. Neither really have a rival. The locations are close enough. In the real world you actually run into each others grads. We have a history in football from the mid 50s through early 90s, we played them just about every season. Although that history is a lot like Pitt with one sided win streaks.
i agree with all that, the thing is Pitt will always have the Backyard Brawl.

we cant compete with that.

marlyand competes with kids in the NYC area much more so than pitt, especially non-athletes.

so i agree, they would be the ideal rival.

it just doesnt seem to be possible in the athletic cards anymore.

I agree... when it came down to it I chose between Cuse and MD.

This is an important game for both programs. A win by SU sends a solid message to Jersey recruits. The Dome needs to be rocking. We need this one.
I can’t believe we scheduled these guys.

We need local games...yes they have some bad Internet fans and their coach is a jerk...however, our closest conference game is Boston then Pittsburgh...after that it is a full days drive.
I live 35 minutes from Piscataway. I would still prefer not to give Rutgers the benefit it derives from playing Syracuse University

I feel we will have better personnel on the field than Rutgers and hopefully a large ( LOUD ) crowd we just can't keep making dumb mistakes as well as bad decisions by our head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom