Rutgers gets their man | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers gets their man

I'd say "another college coaching career down the toilet" That is, if Jordan actually had a promising career ahead of him. But he doesn't based on previous results. He has been around forever. Has had a largely undistinguished career in the NBA and hasn't been around the college game in forever.

But who else except a guy like Jordan, would take the Rutgers job?

Hurley, the guy they wanted, turned them down.

If all those cable subscriber fees don't materialize, then the B1G has made the most worst expansion error ever.

Surprised they went with someone so old to try and build a program so screwed up. They tried Sleepy, Happy, Dopey and Grumpy. Maybe Doc will be the answer.

His utter lack of recruiting ties to the Northeast and plans to try and implement a Princeton style of offense will make for interesting times. I wish him good luck.

If he fails in New Brunswick, he will complete the next step in a northeasterly line of getting fired at head coaching jobs. First DC, then Philly. Looks like the next step will be Stamford.

Watch out Sacred Heart.

Jordan Fire Trail.png

-58 years old.
-Never coached(head or assistant) college before.
-Never recruited before.
-70% of last year’s team(which was 5-13 in the league) is either gone or talking about transferring.
-His record in the NBA as a head coach was 60-119.

I see no way this one can end badly.

Surprised they went with someone so old to try and build a program so screwed up. They tried tried Sleepy, Happy, Dopey and Grumpy. Maybe Doc will be the answer.

His utter lack of recruiting ties to the Northeast and plans to try and implement a Princeton style of offense will make for interesting times. I wish him good luck.
I'd like to say they have tried Moe, Curley, Shemp and Larry ... but the guys they have bought in came in with good resumes (All better than Jordans).

It's not the coaches. It's the school that's the problem.

I'd like to say they have tried Moe, Curley, Shemp and Larry ... but the guys they have bought in came in with good resumes (All better than Jordans).

It's not the coaches. It's the school that's the problem.
I blame it on that blasted Jersey Devil and his meddlesome ways.

Surprised they went with someone so old to try and build a program so screwed up. They tried Sleepy, Happy, Dopey and Grumpy. Maybe Doc will be the answer.

If he fails in New Brunswick, he will complete the next step in a northeasterly line of getting fired at head coaching jobs. First DC, then Philly. Looks like the next step will be Stamford.

Watch out Sacred Heart.

View attachment 3204
Fairfield! Sacred Heart is in Fairfield. As is, surprisingly, Fairfield U. My little town has TWO D-1 universities. Much-bigger Stamford has only a satellite commuter campus of UConn with no sports teams.

They should have kept Gary Waters - he left with a unheard of accomplishment of a winning record at Rutgers while taking them to 3 NIT's in his 5 years there. They have never reached that pinnacle again. However Gary Waters at Cleveland St in his 7 years since has a winning record again and has led Cleveland St to an NCAA appearance and 3 NIT's.

This has disaster written all over it for Rutgers, good luck recruiting in the NE with that kind of offense not to mention a guy with zero ties. They should have offered Hurley the farm he was the only guy that would have had any chance of slowing the exodus of top NJ talent out of there. The Big 10 hierarchy really F'ed this one up.

Rutgers kept Rice's assistants Cox and Macon so that should help Jordan's transition. Macon is a very good recruiter.

Macon is a very good recruiter.

Keeping them there is another thing. A recruiters job never ends there - seems like their kids have to be re-recruited from transferring after each season.

Fairfield! Sacred Heart is in Fairfield. As is, surprisingly, Fairfield U. My little town has TWO D-1 universities. Much-bigger Stamford has only a satellite commuter campus of UConn with no sports teams.
I stand corrected.

Batten down the hatches cto! ETA for a Fairfield flameout from Jordan the Lesser is 2 years.

If they really cared about winning at that sink hole they would have hired Howland. The guy is a proven winner everywhere he's been and would have turned their program around in short order. But that's Butgers for you. I'm not crying for them.

-58 years old.
-Never coached(head or assistant) college before.
-Never recruited before.
-70% of last year’s team(which was 5-13 in the league) is either gone or talking about transferring.
-His record in the NBA as a head coach was 60-119.

I see no way this one can end badly.

I can't knock Rutgers turning to its last link to basketball greatness.
Recruiting will be crucial...he's got to get the right recruiting guys.

But it appears NJ people realize they're up against the wall.
Jordan will get some unoffical help.
Bob Hurley, Sr. has already expressed a willingness to do what he can...even offered to take over as interim head coach if it was needed.
Jordan will need all the help he can get.

I'm convinced Rutgers completely understands their relevance in the B1G: bring in cable tv subscribers and serve as a schedule filler for the more prominent schools of the B1G in basketball and football. Solid hire for a solid school...

As has been said many times, Rutgers really does not want to be relevant in athletics. Jordan is not the hire a team with the history of Rutgers needs. They need a mid-major assistant known for recruiting that has the connections to get guys in that have no business being at Rutgers.

Jared Grasso from Iona comes to mind.

Not that I care, but the fact that Rutgers does not understand the dynamic of recruiting and building programs means that they will continue to flounder. And far be it from me to care. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom