9. Bryson DeChambeau
10. Phil Mickelson
11. Tiger Woods
12. Xander Schauffefe
13. Matt Kuchar
14. Kevin Kisner
15. Tony Finau
20. Zack Johnson

The European team is going to be really strong I hope Furyk picks Tiger, Phil, Finau, Kuchar.

Tiger and Koepka could be a good pairing especially with alternate shot as if Tiger’s iron game is on with Koepka’s length that is a good team.

I expect Reed/Speith and Fowler/Thomas to be solid partnerships as well.

The US will only announce 3 first and then 1 late pick after the playoffs. The 1 late pick is the Billy Horschel rule. In 2014, Horschel won two playoff events, but it was too late to add him to the team. After all the whining post 2014, led by Phil, this was one of the things that changed. Odd to think that such an average player was the impetus for the rule.

3 first picks - Tiger, Phil, Dechambeau
4th Pick - Schauffele, Kuchar, Kisner, or Finau.. personally I think they go with Schauffele. Kuchar comes along as an assistant.

I could also see a slight possibility of the PGA getting back at Phil by not inviting him at all. I am sure there are still some within the organization angry at him for embarrassing the organization, the team, the captain after the 2014 Ryder Cup. But I don't think it will happen because it would put Jim Furyk, who has always been a good soldier, in a really tough spot..

Last edited:
The US will only announce 3 first and then 1 late pick after the playoffs. The 1 late pick is the Billy Horschel rule. In 2014, Horschel won two playoff events, but it was too late to add him to the team. After all the whining post 2014, led by Phil, this was one of the things that changed. Odd to think that such an average player was the impetus for the rule.

3 first picks - Tiger, Phil, Dechambeau
4th Pick - Schauffele, Kuchar, Kisner, or Finau.. personally I think they go with Schauffele. Kuchar comes along as an assistant.

I could also see a slight possibility of the PGA getting back at Phil by not inviting him at all. I am sure there are still some within the organization angry at him for embarrassing the organization, the team, the captain after the 2014 Ryder Cup. But I don't think it will happen because it would put Jim Furyk, who has always been a good soldier, in a really tough spot..
The Ryder Cup, is not where you play out your grudges.

Phil is in.

Obviously, so is tigger.

I’m thinking Bryson and Kisner.

I’d also be ok with Zach, Finau or Kuchar...but that Final 4 for 1, will be the only reason I at least check the scores in the playoffs.

Tiger and Phil will make it for TV reasons.
It’s why Sergio could be a Euro Captain pick.

I think Europe being at home means these captains pick need to be veterans or people who make birdies.

I think 2 of 4 are Phil and Tiger for sure.

Then it’s just Furyk’s gut. The team is deep this year. Only one of the 8 who automatically qualified that scares me would be Simpson.

Last edited:
The Europe team is fairly also stacked... there used to be more of an international presence in the world top 30 rankings and the US and Europe is just drowning them right now. Will make for a great event.

The President's Cup International team which has been weak in recent years, is even weaker now as their stalwart Aussies and South Africans are a little down right now as is Hideki Matsuyama

They take the top 10 in OWGR so their team right now would be:
#10. Jason Day
#16. Hideki Matsuyama
#17. Marc Leishman
#34. Kiradech Aphirabnat
#35. Louis Oosthuizen
#37. Branden Grace
#38. Sotasha Kodaira
#45. Adam Scott
#46. Byeong Hun An
#48. Haotong Li

Alternate Options would be 2 of - Cameron Smith, Siwoo Kim, Emiliano Grilli, Adam Hadwin, Charl Schwartzel,

The President's Cup is sort of like the early December bowl games. No harm in having them, the people that are interested are going to watch. Just becoming less and less of an event.

I think Europe being at home means these captains pick need to be veterans or people who make birdies.

From what I understand the Euro's are going for thick, long and heavy rough. Not as big an issue in 4-ball, but an issue in foursomes. With that in mind I am thinking pick 3 is an accurate hitter (to play in foursomes), and pick 4 is a bomber (to play in 4ball)

The Ryder Cup, is not where you play out your grudges.

Phil is in.

Obviously, so is tigger.

I’m thinking Bryson and Kisner.

I’d also be ok with Zach, Finau or Kuchar...but that Final 4 for 1, will be the only reason I at least check the scores in the playoffs.

Yes, there are probably too many forces in play for an one or a few individual grudges to result in an exclusion.

The Europe team is fairly also stacked... there used to be more of an international presence in the world top 30 rankings and the US and Europe is just drowning them right now. Will make for a great event.

The President's Cup International team which has been weak in recent years, is even weaker now as their stalwart Aussies and South Africans are a little down right now as is Hideki Matsuyama

They take the top 10 in OWGR so their team right now would be:
#10. Jason Day
#16. Hideki Matsuyama
#17. Marc Leishman
#34. Kiradech Aphirabnat
#35. Louis Oosthuizen
#37. Branden Grace
#38. Sotasha Kodaira
#45. Adam Scott
#46. Byeong Hun An
#48. Haotong Li

Alternate Options would be 2 of - Cameron Smith, Siwoo Kim, Emiliano Grilli, Adam Hadwin, Charl Schwartzel,

The President's Cup is sort of like the early December bowl games. No harm in having them, the people that are interested are going to watch. Just becoming less and less of an event.
Yeah I really don’t follow the President ‘s Cup because it’s not really competitive every time. I think the Americans clinched it one time recently before even singles started.

I get why the PGA has it to help grow the game internationally. It’s just not like the Ryder Cup.

Poulter in the Ryder Cup becomes a douchenozzle. The Tiger/Phil prime years the American team was always tight and didn’t play with fun.

Since 2010 it’s been competitive almost every time.

Tiger apparently really is lobbying for Matt Kuchar.
That is who Tiger wants to play with.

I think Kuchar has a better chance than most because the committee of 5 that Furyk is listening too is Tiger/Phil/Fowler/Zack Johnson/Speith.

If Tiger and Phil throw their muscle around Furyk will listen.
I think Kuchar is the 3rd and it’s DeChambeau/Finau for the last spot.

Yeah I really don’t follow the President ‘s Cup because it’s not really competitive every time. I think the Americans clinched it one time recently before even singles started.

I get why the PGA has it to help grow the game internationally. It’s just not like the Ryder Cup.

Poulter in the Ryder Cup becomes a douchenozzle. The Tiger/Phil prime years the American team was always tight and didn’t play with fun.

Since 2010 it’s been competitive almost every time.

The odd thing is that 15 years the International Time was fairly stacked. Compared well to the Americans, and now they are just getting worse and worse. At a professional level, the areas that areas that are growing are the US and Europe.

The 2003 team had 4 of the top 7 golfers in the world (per OWGR)
#2. Vijay Singh
#3. Ernie Els
#6. Mike Weir
#7. Retief Goosen

They also had 8 of the top 25 in the world

I think we route them. Other than Rose none of the European big names are scary at the moment. I personally think rory is done as he doesn't seem to battle adversity at all. Stenson hasn't been great. Rose and Molinari are going to have to be huge for this to be close IMHO.

I think we route them. Other than Rose none of the European big names are scary at the moment. I personally think rory is done as he doesn't seem to battle adversity at all. Stenson hasn't been great. Rose and Molinari are going to have to be huge for this to be close IMHO.
Poulter is insane at the Ryder Cup.
The European team will be at home and will have a lot of in form players.

Rafa Cabrera-Bello
Francesco Molinari
John Rahm
Tommy Fleetwood
Justin Rose
Rory McIroy
Ian Poulter

Are damn good. They will likely add Thomas Peters, Henrik Stenson, Paul Casey, Tyrell Hattie or Sergio Garcia.

It will be tough to win in Paris but this will be a good USA team as well.

These guys qualified
1. Brooks Koepka
2. Dustin Johnson
3. Justin Thomas
4. Patrick Reed
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Speith
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

These guys are the probable captains pick candidates
9. Bryson DeChambeau
10. Phil Mickelson
11. Tiger Woods
12. Xander Schauffefe
13. Matt Kuchar
14. Kevin Kisner
15. Tony Finau
20. Zack Johnson

The European team is going to be really strong I hope Furyk picks Tiger, Phil, Finau, Kuchar.

Tiger and Koepka could be a good pairing especially with alternate shot as if Tiger’s iron game is on with Koepka’s length that is a good team.

Choosing Hal Sutton as captain (2004) has to be the nadir of the USA's Ryder Cup experience. And although I like and admire Tom Watson, he had a few head-scratcher moments in 2014.

I like guys who will compete. Especially on a course that's not an American country club. Given Tiger's apparent resurgence, choosing Kuchar seems a reasonable choice. They're good together. DeChambeau will compete, Simpson not so much. He seems to just cruise along making top tens. I love watching Finau, but I think ZJ is a much tougher competitor. Just my .02.

These guys qualified
1. Brooks Koepka
2. Dustin Johnson
3. Justin Thomas
4. Patrick Reed
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Speith
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

These guys are the probable captains pick candidates
9. Bryson DeChambeau
10. Phil Mickelson
11. Tiger Woods
12. Xander Schauffefe
13. Matt Kuchar
14. Kevin Kisner
15. Tony Finau
20. Zack Johnson

You don't want guys in alternate shot that match up like that. You want guys with games that are alike because they are always hitting shots that they are accustomed to taking.

Did anybody catch the highlights of Brandt Snedeker's 59 today and his extremely impressive 27 on the back nine? His 27 may have been the best 9 holes I have ever seen highlight wise. Amazing iron play he hit 7 of his 9 approach shots within 6 feet or less (5 of them within 4 feet or less). This includes a hole out from 176 yards.

Longshot to make the Ryder Cup team, unless he gets really hot and gets the final spot.

But his back nine 27 was really noteworthy.

With DeChambeau and Finau currently #1 and #2 this week, with only 2 holes to go, the Ryder Cup team may have solved itself today.

Some good stories today on final round Monday... some Ryder cup, some Not.

- Will Bryson Dechambeau win back to back playoff events. That would move him up from #30 in the world to about #8.

- Tony Finau had a strong weekend last weekend (top 5), and is 8th at the start of today. Another top 5 finish and he will be hard to ignore as the 4th alternate.

- Battle for #1 in the world. Dustin Johnson enters at 10.09 and Koepka at 10.04. Without doing the math exactly, it appears Koepka probably becomes world #1 as long as he ties Johnson. Johnson is 2 shots ahead of Koepka, but has played 7 more holes today.

- Phil (#24) vs Tiger (#26 in the world). If Tiger beats Phil, and probably if he ties him he will pass him in the world rankings.

It will be interesting who Europe plays with Hatton in the pair component of the Ryder Cup. With his constant moaning and groaning, I can't see it being very hard to play with him.

Some good stories today on final round Monday... some Ryder cup, some Not.

- Will Bryson Dechambeau win back to back playoff events. That would move him up from #30 in the world to about #8.

- Tony Finau had a strong weekend last weekend (top 5), and is 8th at the start of today. Another top 5 finish and he will be hard to ignore as the 4th alternate.

- Battle for #1 in the world. Dustin Johnson enters at 10.09 and Koepka at 10.04. Without doing the math exactly, it appears Koepka probably becomes world #1 as long as he ties Johnson. Johnson is 2 shots ahead of Koepka, but has played 7 more holes today.

- Phil (#24) vs Tiger (#26 in the world). If Tiger beats Phil, and probably if he ties him he will pass him in the world rankings.

I think tiger, phil, dechambeau and finau are forgone conclusions now.

The playoffs have all been about Dechambeau, Cameron Smith and Finau. Dechambeau and Finau have essentially taken all mystery and intrigue out of the Ryder Cup selections. Smith's great play is getting lost.

Week #1
1. Dechambeau
2. Finau
T3. Smith

Week #2.
1. Dechambeau
2. Smith
T4. Finau

Tiger, Phil and Dechambeau were named this afternoon.

Tiger, Phil and Dechambeau were named this afternoon.

No one, even a Phil/Tiger hater can really dispute those picks.
- Bryson Dechambeau obviously grabbed it easily with the wins.
- Phil has had good form with a 12th and 15th place in the playoffs.
- Tiger has been great the last 2 majors.

No one, even a Phil/Tiger hater can really dispute those picks.
- Bryson Dechambeau obviously grabbed it easily with the wins.
- Phil has had good form with a 12th and 15th place in the playoffs.
- Tiger has been great the last 2 majors.

Finau should be the 4th named after next weekend. Slight chance he’ll give it to Kuchar. But I think he’ll make him one of those vice captains or whatever they call it. 6 weeks ago I thought Kisner would be one.

Finau should be the 4th named after next weekend. Slight chance he’ll give it to Kuchar. But I think he’ll make him one of those vice captains or whatever they call it. 6 weeks ago I thought Kisner would be one.

Kuchar was named as a vice captain today. From the ESPN article

"Furyk said Woods will no longer serve as a vice captain. He named David Duval, Zach Johnson and Matt Kuchar as assistants to join previously announced vice captains Davis Love III and Steve Stricker."

Kuchar was named as a vice captain today. From the ESPN article

"Furyk said Woods will no longer serve as a vice captain. He named David Duval, Zach Johnson and Matt Kuchar as assistants to join previously announced vice captains Davis Love III and Steve Stricker."

Missed that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom