Ryder Cup 2018 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ryder Cup 2018

European picks

#1. Ian Poulter
#2. Sergio Garcia
#3. Henrik Stenson
#4. Paul Casey

Poulter was obvious given his past and his fairly good form this year. Casey at #15 in the world was not clear cut, but he has been solid for the entire year (although a bit shaky recently)

Stenson and Garcia were more questionable.
Stenson has fell from #9 in the world at the start of the year to #21
Garcia has fell from #10 to #30.

I think the best option they overlooked was Rafael Cabrera Bello who played well at last Ryder Cup. But I think it came down to him and Garcia.

Some people suggested Thomas Pieters but he has been rather average this year. He is ranked #63 in the world, and purely in terms of performance in 2018, he is #76 in the world. Stenson and Garcia have had better years and certainly deserve more benefit of the doubt.

European picks

#1. Ian Poulter
#2. Sergio Garcia
#3. Henrik Stenson
#4. Paul Casey

Poulter was obvious given his past and his fairly good form this year. Casey at #15 in the world was not clear cut, but he has been solid for the entire year (although a bit shaky recently)

Stenson and Garcia were more questionable.
Stenson has fell from #9 in the world at the start of the year to #21
Garcia has fell from #10 to #30.

I think the best option they overlooked was Rafael Cabrera Bello who played well at last Ryder Cup. But I think it came down to him and Garcia.

Some people suggested Thomas Pieters but he has been rather average this year. He is ranked #63 in the world, and purely in terms of performance in 2018, he is #76 in the world. Stenson and Garcia have had better years and certainly deserve more benefit of the doubt.
Stenson was picked specifically to play with Rose.
Poulter was an obvious pick.
Garcia was the vet pick.
Casey over Pieters was dumb.

I like the US team assuming the last pick is Kuchar or Finau.

Tiger starts out on fire. -5 after 7 holes and in the early lead.

tiger finishes -8 and still in first with a few players still to finish out.

Phil is 11 shots behind.

Any Phil fans better make sure they go see him tomorrow. He may just decide to bolt early like he has done before in no cut playoff events.

If Xander Schauffele wins this week, and Finau is so/so, there may be some discussion.

todays start delayed from 830am to at least 11am. rain delay with rain forecast all day and the next couple days.

Course is really playing simple (for pros... wide and soft greens). If you are not shooting 67 today, you probably lose ground.

Justin Rose will become World #1 if he wins this week (up from #4), unless Koepka or DJ make a very unlikely run up to 2nd or 3rd. This would be the first time he is ranked #1.

Tiger -2 under, but he is just getting passed by due to good scoring. (started in 12th, now 19th)

Jordan Speith has really had a down year (relatively). As of now, he does not qualify for the Final event.

Ian Poulter. [Cow spits] I wouldn't piss in his ear if his brain was on fire.

Quite the Monday finish at the BMW.

7 players within 2 shots of the lead with 4 to 7 holes to play. This includes a 3 way tie at the top.

Tiger is 7th, 2 shots out of the lead, but has a 9 foot putt coming to get to -17 and one shot out of the lead. For his fans, unfortunately, he is 3 or 4 holes ahead of the leaders so will likely run out of holes. (EDIT - he missed the 9 footer so he still stays at -16)

Justin Rose, now the solo leader by 1 over Keegan Bradley and Billy Horschel.

Xander Schauffele in 4th, 2 shots back, as he tries to win and make the Ryder as the alternate.

1536607401106.png

Keegan Bradley wins. With a solo second, Justin Rose becomes the world #1 for the first time in his career. But is very tight, such that with the various moving parts in the equation, it's possible he loses it while they are on an off week.

Just to give you an idea how close it is. As Winner Justin Rose gets 72 points this week. He is 0.05 ahead of DJ and BK. Over 45 events that equals about 2 to 3 points total.

Finau was just announced as the final pick. No surprise. May be the best Ryder Cup team ever.

Finau was just announced as the final pick. No surprise. May be the best Ryder Cup team ever.

I was sorta hoping for Shauffele, but I also quite like Tony. Good pick. :)

I was sorta hoping for Shauffele, but I also quite like Tony. Good pick. :)

I've been following Finau ever since he dislocated his ankle in that par 3 tourney then popped it back in himself and went on to play the masters the next day basically on one foot.

I watched Tony Finau play a few holes just 5 years ago, in August 2013, on a PGA Tour Canada event that was played at my hometown golf course. Him and some knob called Chan Song had been on Big Break in prior years so I tried to watch both of them for a few holes.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=5366

To give you perspective:
- the purse on a PGA Tour Canada event is $150,000
- The 150ish man field had to contribute over 40% of the prize pool via a $400 entry fee
- Many players stayed at local billets for the week.
- Most players do not have a regular caddie. They are assigned a caddie, and some even do it alone.

Most of the top players do not have to start that far down. Most top college players can generally get on to the Web.Com, but Tony had quite a bit of developing to do. Tony had to come from far up, and relatively fast. Kudos to him.

I watched Tony Finau play a few holes just 5 years ago, in August 2013, on a PGA Tour Canada event that was played at my hometown golf course. Him and some knob called Chan Song had been on Big Break in prior years so I tried to watch both of them for a few holes.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=5366

To give you perspective:
- the purse on a PGA Tour Canada event is $150,000
- The 150ish man field had to contribute over 40% of the prize pool via a $400 entry fee
- Many players stayed at local billets for the week.
- Most players do not have a regular caddie. They are assigned a caddie, and some even do it alone.

Most of the top players do not have to start that far down. Most top college players can generally get on to the Web.Com, but Tony had quite a bit of developing to do. Tony had to come from far up, and relatively fast. Kudos to him.

Tony is a Big Break alum? I didn't know that. Have to think he's one of the most successful.

Terrible value in US betting markets for the US team. -200, what? If you must bet on the US try to find a global market which has them more reasonably valued. They are -135 on Bet 365, which I thought was still too high.

Yes the US is better, but the Euros are pretty stacked as well. Both teams look better due to the lack of international presence in the top 20.

Last edited:
View attachment 138785

Keegan Bradley wins. With a solo second, Justin Rose becomes the world #1 for the first time in his career. But is very tight, such that with the various moving parts in the equation, it's possible he loses it while they are on an off week.

Just to give you an idea how close it is. As Winner Justin Rose gets 72 points this week. He is 0.05 ahead of DJ and BK. Over 45 events that equals about 2 to 3 points total.

This world #1 may change hands more this season than the old WWF Hardcore title belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom