Class of 2015 - S/WR Daiquan Kelly (NJ) Dismissed from PSU Will Sign with UMASS | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S/WR Daiquan Kelly (NJ) Dismissed from PSU Will Sign with UMASS

Ernj said:
He's talking about recruiting, not actual games.

Ahh. Right. I've been out of it today.

That does illustrate the oddness of losing to ND on the recruiting trail though.

Pope need to get their panties out of that bunch. Man, are some of your lives that bad that you are upset that insider information was wrong? Did you really get that much of a hard-on reading that Kelly wasn't getting offered by PSU????? This was an unprecedented ruling, get over it.

Thank you to Anomander and Bnoro for all that you share. And everyone else that contributes.

Where did you come up with this?

Just my thoughts Whitey. If SU ever were to get back to Top 25 or better year in and out and the fans actually filled the Dome, PSU would not have the hold they do now. It was a win win offer for PSU getting Kelly.

If you want to recruit better and take on the big boys, this will happen and will happen quite often. If your best defense is these programs not offering then we aren't actually recruiting better, sooner or later you will need to win a few of these, don't know if we can but it is what it is. We will win 1 out of 25 of these. Syracuse will always have a tough time recruiting versus PSU and ND, etc in the Northeast. They always have. We recruit and develop, plain and simple. Under the radar for sure but again, I don't think we are better at evaluating talent than most other programs.

Kids flipping means that the staff is on the right kids, is what it is and part of the process

If you want to recruit better and take on the big boys, this will happen and will happen quite often. If your best defense is these programs not offering then we aren't actually recruiting better, sooner or later you will need to win a few of these, don't know if we can but it is what it is. We will win 1 out of 25 of these. Syracuse will always have a tough time recruiting versus PSU and ND, etc in the Northeast. They always have. We recruit and develop, plain and simple. Under the radar for sure but again, I don't think we are better at evaluating talent than most other programs.

Kids flipping means that the staff is on the right kids, is what it is and part of the process

Great post.

To be clear I know nothing of the Kelly situation however anomander in the past has shared with me information that I confirmed regarding recruits in the Peach State that was absolutely inside information. There is no way whatsoever that the information he has shared with me came from Scowt, Rovals or anywhere other then from those with intimate knowledge of said situations. I will leave it at that.

Insider information can be packed with as much conjecture as that which is published on the web, you have a staff trying to read the mindset of 18 year old kids and they aren't always given a straight answer either. I think you are being a little harsh with respect to your criticism and while he can't and shouldn't tell us where he gets this information always remember it is second hand and runs the risk of being conjecture even when it comes from the staff or those on the team that have formed a relationship with a recruit.

I look at it like intelligence...It can vary in quality, and is rarely 100%. Even when it is presented as such.

Truthfully our staff has to have a riverboat gambler type of attitude to be more successful. Dowels and Thomas are prime examples of this. They have to be willing to go after potential non-quals because the big boys won't always offer until the kid qualifies and it gives us a leg up. If we see kids who might be borderline qualifiers but good enough to be recruited by heavyweights we should be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Truthfully our staff has to have a riverboat gambler type of attitude to be more successful. Dowels and Thomas are prime examples of this. They have to be willing to go after potential non-quals because the big boys won't always offer until the kid qualifies and it gives us a leg up. If we see kids who might be borderline qualifiers but good enough to be recruited by heavyweights we should be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Don't disagree with you there one bit. Good test for a kid as well to see if he can take care of business to qualify. Like Irv did and Williams didn't

More importantly, who is going to take his scholarship? I dont care about the kids who arent coming here, i care about the ones that want to come here and succeed.
Exactly. His loss...NEXT!!!

Sounds like that's what they are doing again with Tears from IL

Sounds like that's what they are doing again with Tears from IL

It's a great strategy for a program like ours. Of course, it doesn't always work out if the player fails to qualify, but when it does work out it tends to pay dividends.

We need to do whatever it takes to upgrade talent--period. That includes turning over every rock and searching out talent in non-traditional ways that we can land.

Agree as long as the coaches due their homework on these kids. You need to make sure the kid has the right attitude because odds are they are going to have to work a lot harder to keep up academically when they arrive. If they have the right work ethic and motivation, it's certainly a good risk.

It's a great strategy for a program like ours. Of course, it doesn't always work out if the player fails to qualify, but when it does work out it tends to pay dividends.

We need to do whatever it takes to upgrade talent--period. That includes turning over every rock and searching out talent in non-traditional ways that we can land.

It comes down to good business when you are competing with companies that are larger or with more resources, Where are you going to take your risk to try and compete because you can't go an eye for eye with said competition

Don't disagree with you there one bit. Good test for a kid as well to see if he can take care of business to qualify. Like Irv did and Williams didn't

Not only that but it gives us a really strong relationship with some of those guys and also gives us a chance to throw out a ton of offers (think SEC quantity) with the idea that we gamble on these kids and for those that work for it they have a spot.

That's ok, in 4 years when the ACC, and SEC have dominated college football, and the Big 10 still hasn't gotten a team into the playoffs, he'll remember he could have played in the ACC.

That's ok, in 4 years when the ACC, and SEC have dominated college football, and the Big 10 still hasn't gotten a team into the playoffs, he'll remember he could have played in the ACC.
As much as I would love for this to happen, I dont think its realistic. Bigger state schools with deeper tradition in the B1G

It comes down to good business when you are competing with companies that are larger or with more resources, Where are you going to take your risk to try and compete because you can't go an eye for eye with said competition

Very true. Many don't look at risk this way, but sometimes risk = opportunity, not just negative consequences.

As much as I would love for this to happen, I dont think its realistic. Bigger state schools with deeper tradition in the B1G

In other words TV, the AP and Coaches that vote won't let this happen. OSU at #18 helps prove that.

Ugh this one hurts. Unbelievable that Penn State is better off than they were pre-sanctions only 3 years later.
As much as I hate Rutgers, they have every right to be pissed off on this Kelly situation. Imagine an RU commit from Rochester coming to our Maryland game on Saturday, being chauffeured around, then committing to the Terps. I'd be pissed.