Saint Dougie... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

Some people really need to get over "But it was his dream job" crap. It was, and it turned out not what he dreamt it to be. He still followed his dream tho.

yeah i was in the "it was his dream job" camp but then i realized that i'd be a hypocrite if I didn't confront this exact situation and then reverse course 4 years later. So yeah, he took it and then realized it wasn't for him.

I was 100% wrong about Marrone and the steps he's taken since leaving Syracuse.

Where were you Marrone fanboys when the Jaguars got killed at home last week?

So what, teams lose games. I suppose the only measure of success then is a 16-0 perfect season? The fact is I didn't say he was god, but he's doing alot better with Bortles than most would have predicted. And yeah I like Doug, I think what he did here was just short of miracle, gave the Bills their first winning season in how many years? And is 2-1 his first year with the Jags with a QB most wouldn't want anywhere near their own camps.

yeah i was in the "it was his dream job" camp but then i realized that i'd be a hypocrite if I didn't confront this exact situation and then reverse course 4 years later. So yeah, he took it and then realized it wasn't for him.

I was 100% wrong about Marrone and the steps he's taken since leaving Syracuse.

I'm not bothered that our coach moved on to the NFL, as Mac did with our good wishes. Obviously the Syracuse job did not turn out to be what he dreamt. I think his attitude changed in 2011. A lot was going on behind the scenes that season and his public attitude turned from one of enthusiasm to sullen and guarded. I just wish he had done an interview or something where he explained to Syracuse fans, who thought, based on his 'dream job' comments that football had it's Boeheim or Desko, why he left. We've never heard a word from him on the subject. He went from loyal and passionate to cold and uncaring.

I also didn't like the timing. This was just as we were entering the ACC. He hadn't finished the job of fully rebuilding the program and he never undertook the job of making us ACC contenders. He never built upon the foundation he had created. Then he walked out on his next job before he'd finished the same thing there. It's hard to respect that. I agree that it's hypocritical to whine about his "talking his staff with him" when we congratulated Dino Babers on doing the same thing when he came here.

At this point, he's in the rear view mirror and there's no point in wishing ill upon him. It might even be good for the university for a former head coach to make it big in the NFL. We've never had that happen before.

Last edited:
So what, teams lose games. I suppose the only measure of success then is a 16-0 perfect season? The fact is I didn't say he was god, but he's doing alot better with Bortles than most would have predicted. And yeah I like Doug, I think what he did here was just short of miracle, gave the Bills their first winning season in how many years? And is 2-1 his first year with the Jags with a QB most wouldn't want anywhere near their own camps.

At least throw an asterisk on that one as the 9th win was last regular season game of the year where NE sat every single starter and the game was meaningless. I think he had them slowly heading in the right direction but we will never know as he quit because he thought he had the Jets job in the bag.

Also, Bortles was the # 3 pick in the draft and not a late rounder or undrafted FA.

I'm not bothered that our coach moved on to the NFL, as Mac did with our good wishes. Obviously the Syracuse job did not turn out to be what he dreamt. I think his attitude changed in 2011. A lot was going on behind the scenes that season and his public attitude turned form one of enthusiasm to sullen and guarded. I just wish he had done an interview or something where he explained to Syracuse fans, who thought, based on his 'dream job' comments that football had it's Boeheim or Desko, why he left. We've never heard a word from him on the subject. He went from loyal and passionate to cold and uncaring.

I also didn't like the timing. This was just as we were entering the ACC. He hadn't finished the job of fully rebuilding the program and he never undertook the job of making us ACC contenders. He never built upon the foundation he had created. Then he walked out on his next job before he'd finished the same thing there. It's hard to respect that. I agree that it's hypocritical to whine about his "talking his staff with him" when we congratulated Dino Babers on doing the same thing when he came here.

At this point, he's in the rear view mirror and there's no point in wishing ill upon him. It might even be good for the university for a former head coach to make it big in the NFL. We've never had that happen before.

Agree about 2011, I noticed the same thing that season. That "friendliest coach in America" ESPN article that came out before that season turned into one big irony.

The fanboys come out to praise him and call him Super Bowl bound and coach of the year after every win but won't say a word when he gets blown out at home by a divisional rival. Just seems strange is all.

Why is Bortles suddenly "a QB most wouldn't want anywhere near their own camps"? He's a former #3 overall draft pick who in just his second year in the league threw for nearly 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns. It wasn't until Marrone and Hackett arrived in 2016 that he forgot how to throw a spiral. So one bad year and he's suddenly a bum that no one wants. Marrone fans are a weird bunch.

The fanboys come out to praise him and call him Super Bowl bound and coach of the year after every win but won't say a word when he gets blown out at home by a divisional rival. Just seems strange is all.

Why is Bortles suddenly "a QB most wouldn't want anywhere near their own camps"? He's a former #3 overall draft pick who in just his second year in the league threw for nearly 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns. It wasn't until Marrone and Hackett arrived in 2016 that he forgot how to throw a spiral. So one bad year and he's suddenly a bum that no one wants. Marrone fans are a weird bunch.
Marrone was hired Jan 2017 so your claim about his getting there in 2016 is false.
Hackett was Bortles' QB coach during the year you just proclaimed as his best.
That 'almost' 90 QBR rating put him smack dab in the middle of Ryan Tannehill and Teddy Brigdgewater. Good stuff. It was also 23rd in the league. Not exactly the stellar numbers you claim them to be when put into perspective. Where you get drafted also has no bearing on your actual ability to be an NFL QB. See Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Jake Locker, many more. Marrone detractors sure are a strange bunch.

Bortles was Orton-esque.

He did not turn Buffalo around. He had them heading in the right direction but he definitely did not turn them around. s e xy Rexy set the Bills back from any positive strides Marrone made. he was 6-10 in year 1 and 9-7* in year 2 (the 9th was against NE with NE resting all of their players) so lets not act like he was Parcells. I have no problems with Doug and thought he was a good coach (albeit very conservative) but you have some sort of fetish for him. And I'm glad you have already anointed him the great one and said he has turned around Jacksonville after 3 games.
My fetish with him is he played on the OL in the 1984 upset of Nebraska, he also came back to coach the team and pulled them up from purgatory. He also is the ONLY SU alumni who is a head coach at the highest level.

Bortles was ony 3 stars out of high school :)

And do you really think anyone was serious saying they would go the to Super Bowl this year? Did you vote for Trump?

Bortles was Orton-esque.
As are the majority of starting NFL quarterbacks.
Bortles was ony 3 stars out of high school :)

And do you really think anyone was serious saying they would go the to Super Bowl this year? Did you vote for Trump?
I'm supposed to tell the difference between a Marrone fan's serious pro-Marrone post and his non-serious pro-Marrone post? How can anyone tell? They all make me laugh.

upload_2017-9-26_15-59-19.png

Are you really saying that if Jacksonville makes the playoffs he wouldn't be a candidate for coach of the year?

By the way I'm pretty sure Nate was the QB coach in 2015

And they've already won more games over 5 games played than Bradley did in 14 last year.

My fetish with him is he played on the OL in the 1984 upset of Nebraska, he also came back to coach the team and pulled them up from purgatory. He also is the ONLY SU alumni who is a head coach at the highest level.

You have a Doug Marrone fetish, you might want to seek some help for that. ;)

Are you really saying that if Jacksonville makes the playoffs he wouldn't be a candidate for coach of the year?

By the way I'm pretty sure Nate was the QB coach in 2015

And they've already won more games over 5 games played than Bradley did in 14 last year.
The AFC South champion could be 6-10 and make the playoffs.

Yes he was. My point remains - Bortles has shown he's capable of being a serviceable QB in this league but we're supposed to believe that none of the other 31 teams even want him on their roster he's so bad. Because Saint Doug works miracles!

Yes he was. My point remains - Bortles has shown he's capable of being a serviceable QB in this league but we're supposed to believe that none of the other 31 teams even want him on their roster he's so bad. Because Saint Doug works miracles!

If you think Bortles is a hot commodity in the league I have some lakefront propert in Utica I want to sell you.

Kid is a turnover machine...

If you think Bortles is a hot commodity in the league I have some lakefront propert in Utica I want to sell you.

"Hot commodity" - is that what I said?

At least throw an asterisk on that one as the 9th win was last regular season game of the year where NE sat every single starter and the game was meaningless. I think he had them slowly heading in the right direction but we will never know as he quit because he thought he had the Jets job in the bag.

Also, Bortles was the # 3 pick in the draft and not a late rounder or undrafted FA.

To be fair, he exercised a clause in his contract to take $4M. The Bills could have rehired him, or just paid him the $4M to stay. They let him go as much as he quit.

To be fair, he exercised a clause in his contract to take $4M. The Bills could have rehired him, or just paid him the $4M to stay. They let him go as much as he quit.
I think he overplayed his hand and thought he had the Jets job in the bag. I also believe Marrone and Whaley did not see eye to eye on player personnel decisions. I'm glad he did get another shot even though he left the Bills like he did. I hope he is successful in Jacksonville. They do play in the worst division in football and have had a lot of high daft choices so winning immediately is a possibility.

Haha not quite sure how you turned "serviceable" into hot commodity. I'm curious to see if Hackett can help him reach his potential.

I thought your point was as soon as they showed up he lost his mojo, which is patently untrue.

But you go with your spin, that's you're go to move.

I thought your point was as soon as they showed up he lost his mojo, which is patently untrue.

But you go with your spin, that's you're go to move.
Spin is my go-to move? Interesting.

I explained my point. But obviously it didn't fit your agenda, hence the personal jab.

The guy can flat out coach.

Wow.
He was a great coach. He just wasn't a great recruiter.

He needed someone like Dino as a WR coach and/or someone like Eddie O to coach before him and laid up the team.

IMHO, we should have hired someone like Eddie after GROB and then hired HCDM.

The debate on Bortles in April was whether he could be salvaged or not or should they just let him go. Marrone has done well with mediocre QBs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom