Saint Dougie... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

Pretty interesting stuff here if you ask me. I copied what I thought were the best paragraphs. My gut says he left Syracuse because he wanted to be in the NFL AND the Good Dr Gross and administration wasn't providing enough resources needed to compete at a high level. In Football. Yes, I know he didn't like pandering to 17 year old kids and their families and I'm sure that made his decision to leave SU easier. Bashing me begins in 3...2...1...

Doug Marrone could be the coach the Jets let get away

"...
Doug Marrone will be on the visitor’s sideline on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, leading the Jaguars. If things had gone differently two years ago, he might have been on the opposite sideline for this game.

The Jets nearly hired Marrone in 2015 before picking Todd Bowles. In fact, Marrone was the early leader to land the job. He had the support of the people running the search, former Jets players and was a favorite of owner Woody Johnson until a smear campaign by one media outlet doomed him.

There were whispers as soon as Rex Ryan was fired the Jets were interested in Marrone, who had been an offensive line coach for the Jets from 2002-05 and had support from former players like Curtis Martin and Kevin Mawae. He had just finished a 9-7 season with the Bills, his second in Buffalo. It was the lone winning season the Bills have had since 2004.

On New Year’s Eve, Marrone opted out of his contract with the Bills. Sources said he was confident he was going to land the Jets job. The team had communicated its interest in him through back channels. Johnson, worried the Jets would face competition for Marrone’s services, had his private jet ready to fly to Buffalo and pick him up that night. Johnson was even quoted saying what a positive development it was that Marrone was free.

When it became clear Marrone wanted the Jets as much as they wanted him, the two sides agreed to wait three days for the interview after Johnson and the search committee returned from a trip to Seattle.

In those three days, an agenda-driven series of articles appeared bashing Marrone through anonymous sources. One article popped up just before Marrone’s interview began on a Saturday afternoon in Florham Park. Sources said Johnson got spooked by the bad press. He fixated on the claims that had been made in the story, and spent much of the interview asking Marrone about the allegations instead of what he would do to fix the Jets.

Marrone walked out of the interview knowing he was not getting the job.

The plan had been to team up Marrone and Mike Maccagnan as coach and GM. The two have known each other since 1991 when Maccagnan was a scout and Marrone a player for the London Monarchs in NFL Europe. They later worked together in the Canadian Football League and stayed close through the years.

Both Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf, who were leading the search for the new coach and GM, were on board with the Marrone/Maccagnan pairing. Johnson, influenced by the negative articles, got cold feet.

The optics of Marrone walking away in Buffalo and then getting spurned by the Jets were tough to overcome for Marrone. He interviewed for a few other head coaching jobs that year, but ended up coaching the offensive line for the Jaguars.

When the team fired Gus Bradley last season, Marrone became the interim coach for two games and then was named the permanent coach.

"

http://nypost.com/2017/09/28/doug-marrone-could-be-the-coach-the-jets-let-get-away/

Jets win!

Dwight-Schrute-Laughing.gif

Pretty interesting stuff here if you ask me. I copied what I thought were the best paragraphs. My gut says he left Syracuse because he wanted to be in the NFL AND the Good Dr Gross and administration wasn't providing enough resources needed to compete at a high level. In Football. Yes, I know he didn't like pandering to 17 year old kids and their families and I'm sure that made his decision to leave SU easier. Bashing me begins in 3...2...1...

Doug Marrone could be the coach the Jets let get away

"...
Doug Marrone will be on the visitor’s sideline on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, leading the Jaguars. If things had gone differently two years ago, he might have been on the opposite sideline for this game.

The Jets nearly hired Marrone in 2015 before picking Todd Bowles. In fact, Marrone was the early leader to land the job. He had the support of the people running the search, former Jets players and was a favorite of owner Woody Johnson until a smear campaign by one media outlet doomed him.

There were whispers as soon as Rex Ryan was fired the Jets were interested in Marrone, who had been an offensive line coach for the Jets from 2002-05 and had support from former players like Curtis Martin and Kevin Mawae. He had just finished a 9-7 season with the Bills, his second in Buffalo. It was the lone winning season the Bills have had since 2004.

On New Year’s Eve, Marrone opted out of his contract with the Bills. Sources said he was confident he was going to land the Jets job. The team had communicated its interest in him through back channels. Johnson, worried the Jets would face competition for Marrone’s services, had his private jet ready to fly to Buffalo and pick him up that night. Johnson was even quoted saying what a positive development it was that Marrone was free.

When it became clear Marrone wanted the Jets as much as they wanted him, the two sides agreed to wait three days for the interview after Johnson and the search committee returned from a trip to Seattle.

In those three days, an agenda-driven series of articles appeared bashing Marrone through anonymous sources. One article popped up just before Marrone’s interview began on a Saturday afternoon in Florham Park. Sources said Johnson got spooked by the bad press. He fixated on the claims that had been made in the story, and spent much of the interview asking Marrone about the allegations instead of what he would do to fix the Jets.

Marrone walked out of the interview knowing he was not getting the job.

The plan had been to team up Marrone and Mike Maccagnan as coach and GM. The two have known each other since 1991 when Maccagnan was a scout and Marrone a player for the London Monarchs in NFL Europe. They later worked together in the Canadian Football League and stayed close through the years.

Both Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf, who were leading the search for the new coach and GM, were on board with the Marrone/Maccagnan pairing. Johnson, influenced by the negative articles, got cold feet.

The optics of Marrone walking away in Buffalo and then getting spurned by the Jets were tough to overcome for Marrone. He interviewed for a few other head coaching jobs that year, but ended up coaching the offensive line for the Jaguars.

When the team fired Gus Bradley last season, Marrone became the interim coach for two games and then was named the permanent coach.

"

http://nypost.com/2017/09/28/doug-marrone-could-be-the-coach-the-jets-let-get-away/
The idea of Marrone trying to cope with NYC media is legitimately terrifying. It would destroy that man. Marrone not landing there was a huge blessing to his welfare.

Boy
I
Love
Losing
S#itty head coaches that quit on two teams and treat people w little to no decency?

Did i win? Is that right?
Close, but no cigar.

Boy
I
Love
Losing
S#itty head coaches that quit on two teams and treat people w little to no decency?

Did i win? Is that right?
It's impossible for him to lose because after Buffalo, no one would ever hire him as a head coach.

It's impossible for him to lose because after Buffalo, no one would ever hire him as a head coach.
The guys that quit the bills job have up a thousand to a rookie and lost to the Jets while the bills had their best win since either of those bozos coached in Buffalo. Good day

The guys that quit the bills job have up a thousand to a rookie and lost to the Jets while the bills had their best win since either of those bozos coached in Buffalo. Good day
Doug is 4 years removed from Buffalo and is in the first year of his head coaching at Jax. All first-year coaches are dealt a hand they had little say in. While Buffalo is starting ok, let's see how they finish and whether then can match or exceed to best record in the the past few decades (9-7).

Doug is 4 years removed from Buffalo and is in the first year of his head coaching at Jax. All first-year coaches are dealt a hand they had little say in. While Buffalo is starting ok, let's see how they finish and whether then can match or exceed to best record in the the past few decades (9-7).

Buffalo's coach is also in his first year. And wasn't an assistant under the previous coach.

I don't think they can keep this up, but I'm going to enjoy it for now. What I like is that the moves they made were all setup for NFC East life after Brady (and maybe Belichick). 6 picks in the first 3 rounds for 2018.

They may have finally gotten it right in WNY.

Buffalo's coach is also in his first year. And wasn't an assistant under the previous coach.

I don't think they can keep this up, but I'm going to enjoy it for now. What I like is that the moves they made were all setup for NFC East life after Brady (and maybe Belichick). 6 picks in the first 3 rounds for 2018.

They may have finally gotten it right in WNY.
Just saying that every situation is different. Also, my point was that some here stated definitively that Doug would never again see an NFL head coach job...that he burned all bridges and was done.

Like I said previously I hold no ill will against Dougie and never once stated he owuld not get another shot (but boy it did take a little bit).

His 9-7 in Buffalo comes with a big asterisk because that 9th win was against NE who played no important starters as they clinched the East and had nothing to play for.

None of this changes the fact that he quit on the Bills because he thought he had the Jets job in the bag. This after walking out the door at Syracuse and taking pretty much every coach with him.

Doug had a decent 2 year run in Buffalo but lets not act like he was producing miracles. Sadly, I was exhausted from watching him punt inside the opponents 40 yard line instead of going for it.

Just saying that every situation is different. Also, my point was that some here stated definitively that Doug would never again see an NFL head coach job...that he burned all bridges and was done.
All it ever took was one gullible owner to be convinced by Dougie's agent.

Like I said previously I hold no ill will against Dougie and never once stated he owuld not get another shot (but boy it did take a little bit).

His 9-7 in Buffalo comes with a big asterisk because that 9th win was against NE who played no important starters as they clinched the East and had nothing to play for.

None of this changes the fact that he quit on the Bills because he thought he had the Jets job in the bag. This after walking out the door at Syracuse and taking pretty much every coach with him.

Doug had a decent 2 year run in Buffalo but lets not act like he was producing miracles. Sadly, I was exhausted from watching him punt inside the opponents 40 yard line instead of going for it.
He left the Bills thinking he had the Jets job AND KNOWING he had $4M coming to him from the Bills either way. 2 years later he was offered another HC job in the NFL. It worked out well for him. His predecessor was canned for performance reasons. Doug was not canned...he left on his own terms and now has a decent re-building gig at the moment.

The Bills organization is amateur hour and Doug couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

He left the Bills thinking he had the Jets job AND KNOWING he had $4M coming to him from the Bills either way. 2 years later he was offered another HC job in the NFL. It worked out well for him. His predecessor was canned for performance reasons. Doug was not canned...he left on his own terms and now has a decent re-building gig at the moment.

The Bills organization is amateur hour and Doug couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Couple things here...Dougie misplayed his hand (there are only 32 HC jobs in the league and I doubt he walks away from one without thinking he has another HC gig even if he received 4m on his way out the door). He is a quitter.

If you think Buffalo is amateur hour than what do you think Jacksonville is? That is probably the only organization ran worse than the Bills consistently (Browns too).

He should like it down there as he is not really a people person and Jacksonville has no fans or support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom