Saint Dougie... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

People act like Doug somehow dissed the university. He didn't. He didn't get 1/2 the support that Shafer and especially Babers have regarding facilities and the NFL came calling. Doug saved this program. The negative feelings towards him are completely undeserved. What is it that has you guys sooooooooooooo freaking upset? He took Hack with him? BG must think Babers is the freaking devil. You guys come off looking like spoiled brats. Please fill me in, PM if necessary if you don't want to create a thread firestorm but I think it's ridiculous. If we didn't hire Doug when we did, and went with some name like Turner then program would still be so buried you might find it in China if you dig through the planet.

I think you're dead wrong, just like the anti-Doug crowd has been all along.

For the record, I never was anti-Marrone. I always liked him. I just don't think Jags are very good. The defense included. We can revisit this near playoff time.

I think that game will prove to be an abberation.

Except they've done it twice, so it looks like they are capable of repeating that level of performance. Are they playoff bound, probably not, but if they are, Marrone is coach of the year candidate.

People act like Doug somehow dissed the university. He didn't. He didn't get 1/2 the support that Shafer and especially Babers have regarding facilities and the NFL came calling. Doug saved this program. The negative feelings towards him are completely undeserved. What is it that has you guys sooooooooooooo freaking upset? He took Hack with him? BG must think Babers is the freaking devil. You guys come off looking like spoiled brats. Please fill me in, PM if necessary if you don't want to create a thread firestorm but I think it's ridiculous. If we didn't hire Doug when we did, and went with some name like Turner then program would still be so buried you might find it in China if you dig through the planet.

He said SU was his dream job and then ended up leaving. Can you imagine such a criminal offense? Look, I get it that he is a thin skinned, dour, killjoy of a guy, but he is a damn good coach. You are correct, he got so little in support from the school, Gross was too busy dumping what little cash we had on the "New York City's Team" crap. Just the fact that Marrone stayed 4 years with Gross and Cantor as his bosses is a miracle.

Except they've done it twice, so it looks like they are capable of repeating that level of performance. Are they playoff bound, probably not, but if they are, Marrone is coach of the year candidate.

in that crappy division, they could be playoff bound. Although Tennessee looks pretty good.

And Tennessee slaughtered them.

Didn't they just beat the Raiders?

Pretty good team.

Marrone is heading into game six taking over the worst organization in the sport. What do you expect, miracles?

Didn't they just beat the Raiders?

Pretty good team.

Marrone is heading into game six taking over the worst organization in the sport. What do you expect, miracles?

I don't think so re: Raiders. Look, I'm not cheering against Marrone. I could care less about the Jags. I just don't think they are a good team or will be this season. Not exactly rocket science. Would I like to see them improve? Sure. We'll see.

I don't think so re: Raiders. Look, I'm not cheering against Marrone. I could care less about the Jags. I just don't think they are a good team or will be this season. Not exactly rocket science. Would I like to see them improve? Sure. We'll see.

My bad, Seahawks.

Fro the last time, Doug will NEVER be an NFL coach after what he did to the Bills! No owner would hire him.
It did take him a while to find another head coaching job in the nfl after he quit on the Bills thinking he had the Jets job in the bag. I'm pretty certain the Pegulas nixed that. Doug is where he belongs. Great coach but mediocre recruiter. I like how the one guy claims he is winning the Lombardi after throttling the Ravens in London.

I'd take Dougie back in a heartbeat. I wanted him back after Shafer...would probably take him back now. The guy knew how to coach and we rarely/if ever got blown out.

He racked up big wins year after year. (West Virginia multiple times, at Missouri, Louisville, at Cincy, Northwestern, etc.) Taking P6 Big Ten Minnesota, Penn State, USC, and others and keeping the game close even though we were severely out-talented by these teams.

I am in the group here with his supporters; he knew how to hire coaches (Hackett, Shafer, etc.). Unfortunately, he won't be back but I know the Jags are in great hands with him at the helm.

Now let's beat NC State this weekend!

It did take him a while to find another head coaching job in the nfl after he quit on the Bills thinking he had the Jets job in the bag. I'm pretty certain the Pegulas nixed that. Doug is where he belongs. Great coach but mediocre recruiter. I like how the one guy claims he is winning the Lombardi after throttling the Ravens in London.
Bills should of kept Rex as their coach, they belong together. And for the record, this is the 3rd team that hadn't had a winning record in a long time that he has turned around. He will that division and get a by and a home game. A win there puts the Jags in the AFC championship game.

What worries me is Doug Marrone is a great coach and it will take a great coach to get us to 8 win plateau again. It kinda worries me to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the Lombardi comment was not serious.

Some people really need to get over "But it was his dream job" crap. It was, and it turned out not what he dreamt it to be. He still followed his dream tho.

I'm still waiting for the first D-1 qb Doug recruited. He won with Nassib. he left no QB's on the roster when he bolted out of town. Shafer at least left us with Dungey.

Bills should of kept Rex as their coach, they belong together. And for the record, this is the 3rd team that hadn't had a winning record in a long time that he has turned around. He will that division and get a by and a home game. A win there puts the Jags in the AFC championship game.

He did not turn Buffalo around. He had them heading in the right direction but he definitely did not turn them around. Sexy Rexy set the Bills back from any positive strides Marrone made. he was 6-10 in year 1 and 9-7* in year 2 (the 9th was against NE with NE resting all of their players) so lets not act like he was Parcells. I have no problems with Doug and thought he was a good coach (albeit very conservative) but you have some sort of fetish for him. And I'm glad you have already anointed him the great one and said he has turned around Jacksonville after 3 games.

I'm still waiting for the first D-1 qb Doug recruited. He won with Nassib. he left no QB's on the roster when he bolted out of town. Shafer at least left us with Dungey.
You'll wait forever because Doug was too busy packing lippers to bother recruiting.

He did not turn Buffalo around. He had them heading in the right direction but he definitely did not turn them around. s e xy Rexy set the Bills back from any positive strides Marrone made. he was 6-10 in year 1 and 9-7* in year 2 (the 9th was against NE with NE resting all of their players) so lets not act like he was Parcells. I have no problems with Doug and thought he was a good coach (albeit very conservative) but you have some sort of fetish for him. And I'm glad you have already anointed him the great one and said he has turned around Jacksonville after 3 games.
Sexy Rexy came in and the offense immediately improved by a significant amount. Let that sink in, Marronites.

I'd take Dougie back in a heartbeat. I wanted him back after Shafer...would probably take him back now. The guy knew how to coach and we rarely/if ever got blown out.

He racked up big wins year after year. (West Virginia multiple times, at Missouri, Louisville, at Cincy, Northwestern, etc.) Taking P6 Big Ten Minnesota, Penn State, USC, and others and keeping the game close even though we were severely out-talented by these teams.

I am in the group here with his supporters; he knew how to hire coaches (Hackett, Shafer, etc.). Unfortunately, he won't be back but I know the Jags are in great hands with him at the helm.

Now let's beat NC State this weekend!
While I think Doug was a very good coach (too conservative at times), I think Babers will end up being more successful here with a much more difficult schedule in the ACC than the old BE and has a higher ceiling.

Hackett was an unknown when he was hired but worked out nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom