San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM

#Aztec4Life Tron Burgundy. There are countless Aztec alumni like myself who still throw up in our mouths a little every time we think of that abomination of a game on a boat nearly a decade ago. We call it the Shite on a Ship (no one calls it that). I'm sure you guys remember it differently, but as far as I'm concerned, the best thing to come out of that game was this t-shirt.

TShirt.jpg

So I can't tell you how stoked I am that we get a shot at payback - on land - and a possible first W against the Cuse in three games.

I can't say I've watched much ACC ball this year, but everyone knows how storied your program is and I know our kids are stoked to play you guys as opposed to some podunk school from BFE - when we dance, we want a shot at schools like Syracuse and legendary coaches like Boeheim. He is a dying breed. Coming from a program that worshipped Steve Fisher until and through his retirement, I hope you guys cherish each and every season you have with him at the helm.

But enough with the flattery. I thought I'd share a few insights into Aztec hoops.

Don't let the low-ranked tempo fool you. We like to get out and run, and this year became only the fourth school in the last quarter-century to win four games by a minimum of 25 points while scoring at an average of 90+. The reason our tempo ranks so low is because we defend for the full 30 seconds on the shot clock.

We basically run a 4-guard offense, though MWC PoY Matt Mitchell was 260 lbs before going lean and can play like a big. Fun Fact: His favorite team growing up was the Cuse and Melo was his favorite player.

Some of you remember our 30-2 record last year and #1 NET ranking we maintained until the very endow the season. And those of you who do also know we lost an NBA 1st Rd draft pick in Malachi Flynn. Malachi was a special talent and you simply don't replace someone like that. But Malachi's backup from last year, Trey Pulliam, is capable of running the point and gets downhill right quick.

We also lost two other starters, 5th-year transfers Yonni Wetzel (from Vandy) and PG KJ Feagin. Yonni was one of the smartest post players Ive ever seen (there's a reason Chris Beard was recruiting him as heavily as we were a year off their Final Four appearance). And he was a surfer so he had incredible balance and the combination similarly made hi a unique talent.

But our starting 5, Nathan Mensah, missed a lion's share of the season with a medical condition, and he's back to full speed this season. We added another 5th-year senior transfer big, Maryland transfer Joshua Tomaic. While Tomaic gives us about 85% of what we had with Wetzel, Nate's return and the development of another bench stretch-4 type more than make up for the loss of Wetzel.

I see a lot of people referencing TGo, the 5'8 senior transfer who's a lights out shooter, though I expect he'll have issues getting looks over the length of our guards.

Speaking of lights-out shooter, that leaves us with Jordan Shackel, senior guard and according to NCAA the 3rd-best 3-pt shooter in college hoops.

That rounds out our starting 5, plus Tomaic off the bench. But as I see has been covered, Dutch goes a true 10-deep, often with wholesale subs. Keep an eye on #0, Keshad Johnson. The kid can jump out of the gym and is the best athlete on the team. Also keep an eye on the only frosh you'll se get PT, #5, Lamont Butler. He broke Reggie Miller's HS scoring record and he's gong to be something special on the Mesa. Overall, I would rate our depth as superior to what it was last year.

I know Syracuse's zone is the singular zone D people associate with college hoops. And I know it will be unlike any zone we've faced this year. I also think we have the right tools to score against it; time will tell.

So let's hope all the kids stay COVID free so we can all give the nation a good showing Friday night.

Burgundy OUT

Last edited:
In N out is so overrated.
If God had a second Son he would have sacrificed him for a #3 with onions.

Possible SD St. distraction alert - I hope the media gets on Head Coach Dutcher this week about leaving to take the Minnesota job. I think there’s a good chance he wants that job. Dutcher grew up in MN, graduated from MN and his dad was head coach there for many years.

Dutcher has like a $7.5 million contract buy out but there is a clause in his contract that his buy out is only $1 million for just the MN job.
I'm afraid you're a week late and a dollar thirty-five short. At least that's what I think the cost is for a weekday edition of the Union Tribune, where this story first ran back on the 5th.

It’s 8:40 central time.
We will be fine.
We beat Indiana State in 2011 in the late window it was the last game started in the first round.
Indiana is in the Eastern Time Zone.

#Aztec4Life Tron Burgundy. There are countless Aztec alumni like myself who still throw up in our mouths a little every time we think of that abomination of a game on a boat nearly a decade ago. We call it the n a Ship (no one calls it that). I'm sure you guys remember it differently, but as far as I'm concerned, the best thing to come out of that game was this t-shirt.

TShirt.jpg

So I can't tell you how stoked I am that we get a shot at payback - on land - and a possible first W against the Cuse in three games.

I can't say I've watched much ACC ball this year, but everyone knows how storied your program is and I know our kids are stoked to play you guys as opposed to some podunk school from BFE - when we dance, we want a shot at schools like Syracuse and legendary coaches like Boeheim. He is a dying breed. Coming from a program that worshipped Steve Fisher until and through his retirement, I hope you guys cherish each and every season you have with him at the helm.

But enough with the flattery. I thought I'd share a few insights into Aztec hoops.

Don't let the low-ranked tempo fool you. We like to get out and run, and this year became only the fourth school in the last quarter-century to win four games by a minimum of 25 points while scoring at an average of 90+ points. The reason our tempo ranks so low is because we defend for the full 30 seconds on the shot clock.

We basically run a 4-guard offense, though MWC PoY Matt Mitchell was 260 lbs before going lean and can play like a big. Fun Fact: His favorite team growing up was the Cuse and Melo was his favorite player.

Some of you remember our 30-2 record last year and #1 NET ranking we maintained until the very endow the season. And those of youth do also know we lost an NBA 1st Rd draft pick in Malachi Flynn. Malachi was a special talent and you simply don't replace someone like that. But Malachi's backup from last year, Trey Pulliam, is capable of running the point and gets downhill right quick.

We also lost two other starters, 5th-year transfers Yonni Wetzel (from Vandy) and PG KJ Feagin. Yonni was one of the smartest post players Ive ever seen (there's a reason Chris Beard was recruiting him as heavily as we were a year off their Final Four appearance). And he was a surfer so he had incredible balance and the combination similarly made hi a unique talent.

But our starting 5, Nathan Mensah, missed a lion's share of the season with a medical condition, and he's back to full speed this season. We added another 5th-year senior transfer big, Maryland transfer Joshua Tomaic. While Tomaic gives us about 85% of what we had with Wetzel, Nate's return and the development of another bench stretch-4 type more than make up for the loss of Wetzel.

I see a lot of people referencing TGo, the 5'8 senior transfer who's a lights out shooter, though I expect he'll have issues getting looks over the length of our guards.

Speaking of lights-out shooter, that leaves us with Jordan Shackel, senior guard and according to NCAA the 3rd-best 3-pt shooter in college hoops.

That rounds out our starting 5, plus Tomaic off the bench. But as I see has been covered, Dutch goes a true 10-deep, often with wholesale subs. Keep an eye on #0, Keshad Johnson. The kid can jump out of the gym and is the best athlete on the team. Also keep an eye on the only frosh you'll se get PT, #5, Lamont Butler. He broke Reggie Miller's HS scoring record and he's gong to be something special on the Mesa. Overall, I would rate our depth as superior to what it was last year.

I know Syracuse's zone is the singular zone D people associate with college hoops. And I know it will be unlike any zone we've faced this year. I also think we have the right tools to score against it; time will tell.

So let's hope all the kids stay COVID free so we can all give the nation a good showing Friday night.

Burgundy OUT
#doomed

My current inclination:
I would typically be feeling pessimistic about this type of matchup, and would have written it off as a loss as recently as two weeks ago. But after the team's performance against Clemson and then Virginia, two better defensive teams than SDS, I'm actually feeling optimistic. I think we'll be able to score, and that (I believe) will be the key.

I know Boeheim likes to recruit length to optimize the efficacy of your 2-3. But this year's squad doesn't seem to be any taller than the longer MWC teams. In fact, both Utah State and Boise State run as tall if not taller than the Orange.

Is there any validity to the perception that you guys aren't as tall or long this year as you normally are? Or is this just a result of poor recall, small sample size, and/or haunting nightmares from a hoops game played on an aircraft carrier?

I know Boeheim likes to recruit length to optimize the efficacy of your 2-3. But this year's squad doesn't seem to be any taller than the longer MWC teams. In fact, both Utah State and Boise State run as tall if not taller than the Orange.

Is there any validity to the perception that you guys aren't as tall or long this year as you normally are? Or is this just a result of poor recall, small sample size, and/or haunting nightmares from a hoops game played on an aircraft carrier?

There is truth to this in our smaller lineup that starts. We also are better offensively than most years too. Good passing team with multiple shooters. 7 guys who are capable of putting up 15 pts or more.

Lately we have seen more of 6-9 Braswell and 7-0 Edwards. We can go 7-0, 6-10, 6-9, 6-6, 6-5 at times depending on the matchup. Our best offensive lineup this year goes 6-10, 6-8, 6-5, 6-6 , 6-5. Griffin is hot /cold on both ends but he has big-time hops and averages 1.7 blocks a game at 6-5 and is a good rebounder too while being a guy who can get red hot from 3.

So technically the starters don't meet the usual expected length of the zone but as I said depending on how things go you may see JB go with a bigger backline if needed.

I mean Utah St. has to be one of the tallest in the country so. Two 7 footers, a 7'2", 6'11", 6'10" etc.

I mean Utah St. has to be one of the tallest in the country so. Two 7 footers, a 7'2", 6'11", 6'10" etc.

Utah St plays 8 guys usually and only guy who goes that big is Queta. After that they drop to 6-7, 6-5, 6-5 6-3

Boise has good size but watching them they don't use it that well and play really soft D.

#Aztec4Life Tron Burgundy. There are countless Aztec alumni like myself who still throw up in our mouths a little every time we think of that abomination of a game on a boat nearly a decade ago. We call it the Shite on a Ship (no one calls it that). I'm sure you guys remember it differently, but as far as I'm concerned, the best thing to come out of that game was this t-shirt.

TShirt.jpg

Don't let the low-ranked tempo fool you. We like to get out and run, and this year became only the fourth school in the last quarter-century to win four games by a minimum of 25 points while scoring at an average of 90+. The reason our tempo ranks so low is because we defend for the full 30 seconds on the shot clock.

Some of you remember our 30-2 record last year and #1 NET ranking we maintained until the very endow the season. And those of you who do also know we lost an NBA 1st Rd draft pick in Malachi Flynn. Malachi was a special talent and you simply don't replace someone like that. But Malachi's backup from last year, Trey Pulliam, is capable of running the point and gets downhill right quick.

Burgundy OUT
I think it's only fair to let you know that in spite of the fact that Syracuse plays zone, it also is the 2nd best team in the ACC in defending the 3-pt shot. We've faced and beaten a few teams that featured multiple 3pt marksmen who ended up having bad nights against us.

Yes, it's also true that--especially earlier in the season--we've been torched by some of the marksmen we've faced, but less so as the season's gone by.

So if your shooters--like Mitchell--end up failing to deliver as expected, just know that you were warned in advance...;)

Utah St plays 8 guys usually and only guy who goes that big is Queta. After that they drop to 6-7, 6-5, 6-5 6-3

Boise has good size but watching them they don't use it that well and play really soft D.
Actually, Leon Rice recruited as much length and athleticism as he could because every team in the MWC was built to beat us. We are the most successful program in the conference by an estate country mile (I know... something something tallest midget). The recipe for our sustained success has been long, rangy athletes without fixed positions, and this has bled through the conference recruiting philosophy to some degree.

With regards to Boise, they extend on the permitter and are able to contest shots and marginalize our permitter shooting to some degree. And idk if I would call their defense soft - it ranks 63rd in KenPom (you guys rank 89th).

As to my comment, when I look to see how your PT is distributed, the majority of minutes are going to guys that are - in order of PT - 6'6, 6'10, 6'7, 6'5, 6'1, and 6'5. No one else is logging 20+ mpg, and the next player off th bench is only logging 10.

Compare that with Boise's players logging 20+ mpg: 6'9, 6'7, 6'2, 6'2, 6'5, 6'8, 6'10. Of those, you have three guards running 6'7, 6'8, and 6'9. Similarly, the Aggies players logging 20+ mpg run 7'0, 6'7, 6'5, 6'3, and 6'5.

I don't see any noticeable height advantage based on the numbers, and would argue the average size we face in those two teams is equal if not taller than your own.

I think it's only fair to let you know that in spite of the fact that Syracuse plays zone, it also is the 2nd best team in the ACC in defending the 3-pt shot. We've faced and beaten a few teams that featured multiple 3pt marksmen who ended up having bad nights against us.

Yes, it's also true that--especially earlier in the season--we've been torched by some of the marksmen we've faced, but less so as the season's gone by.

So if your shooters--like Mitchell--end up failing to deliver as expected, just know that you were warned in advance...;)
Great article in today's U-T in which Mark Zeigler (the Aztec beat writer) devoted his entire column to this (link).

Actually, Leon Rice recruited as much length and athleticism as he could because every team in the MWC was built to beat us. We are the most successful program in the conference by an estate country mile (I know... something something tallest midget). The recipe for our sustained success has been long, rangy athletes without fixed positions, and this has bled through the conference recruiting philosophy to some degree.

With regards to Boise, they extend on the permitter and are able to contest shots and marginalize our permitter shooting to some degree. And idk if I would call their defense soft - it ranks 63rd in KenPom (you guys rank 89th).

As to my comment, when I look to see how your PT is distributed, the majority of minutes are going to guys that are - in order of PT - 6'6, 6'10, 6'7, 6'5, 6'1, and 6'5. No one else is logging 20+ mpg, and the next player off th bench is only logging 10.

Compare that with Boise's players logging 20+ mpg: 6'9, 6'7, 6'2, 6'2, 6'5, 6'8, 6'10. Of those, you have three guards running 6'7, 6'8, and 6'9. Similarly, the Aggies players logging 20+ mpg run 7'0, 6'7, 6'5, 6'3, and 6'5.

I don't see any noticeable height advantage based on the numbers, and would argue the average size we face in those two teams is equal if not taller than your own.

The version of the defense you will see is not likely to be the version that is 89th in Ken Pomeroy ( if we don't show up on D for some reason well then it won't matter much). We had two pauses this year in addition to losing our 6-11 starting C in game one. It took this team a while to figure itself out.

The average minutes over our season is deceiving. Unless Griffin gets hot or plays well you will be seeing 6-10/6-9/6-7/6-6 and then some 6-1 and plenty 6-5 at PG.

We extend the perimeter a lot. The corner 3 can be there at times but it's not been there as often since the team found their groove on both ends.

Boise to me is long but when I say soft they get disorganized on D a lot. So yes they are long but there are open shots to be had often. For reference I caught out 12 Boise games this year. I worked for a company based in CA so had to do west coast hours for most of 2020 virtually. Gave lots of chances to catch late games.

Also part of our numbers of Def are impacted by offensive rebounding. In poor rebounding games we gave up way too many second chance points. This was against Bigger teams with huge front lines of which there are a few in the ACC. Once again the numbers are deceiving. UVA is a better 3pt shooting team than SDSU and a bigger team. If you watch the UVA SU game you get a better feel.

Last thing I will say is that playing tall teams is different than playing a taller longer SU team. It's all how it's used. The top of the key is a major challenge when Kadary and Buddy are up there. That is an entry pass vs 6-5/6-6 and works the same for a closeout. Also where we turn teams over. So while this year's team is not as long as some- look at the lineup usage the past 5 games vs the whole season. We may not need to go to the bigger lineup Friday given you guys don't run as big as what we see in the ACC. Lots of chess pieces in this one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom