San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM

No offense taken. When you're the dominant program in a conference, everyone else knows they have to knock you off the hill to assume the top spot. And given the lack of quality OOC games most MWC teams have on their sked each year (to build a tournament resume), they have to plan to win the MWCT to get a chance to dance. Thus, teams were built to beat us.

Re: your offense, thanks for the breakdown.

I imagine we'll switch on screens but expect to see Trey Pulliam guarding Boeheim unless he starts dropping shots due to his height advantage - then you'll likely see Jordan Shackel pick him up on D. Both are lockdown defenders. The other matchup I'll be looking forward to is Matt Mitchell on Guerrier.

I see you guys are middle-of-the-road tempo wise (138 in KenPom), but you make it sound like you guys work some time off the clock in your half court sets. I'm interested to see how that circle gets squared come game time.

If you put Pulliam on Boeheim he will go for 30 plus. The one thing I like about Buddy is that lock down defenders are great off the ball and facing their man. Boeheim does very well to get the defender on his back and then use a high release point. In many ways to our surprise as he has added that to his toolkit. He isn't fast but does a nice job driving when defenders crowd him or close out too fast to prevent him shooting from outside. Guerrier vs Mitchell is intriguing. Guerrier will try to go over him given the height advantage. Guerrier has very good footwork and will use both hands in the post. Challenges for both of them given Mitchell's physicality and bball IQ.

As for tempo we will run but giving the quality of passing the half court is fairly efficient in getting good looks plus it helps having five guys on the court who are capable scorers. For SU it still is all about shot selection, rebounding and guarding the 3. If all three are going they are a really tough matchup. As you can see with 9 losses it's been a bumpy road where that hasn't happened all the time except for more recently.

Well, a few things:

I'd imagine UVA played a tad harder schedule than you did.
I mean, a 'down' ACC is still sending a LOT more teams to the Dance than the MWC.
7 vs. 2

Also - The Hoos got LIT THE FFF UP by the Zags back in late Dec, which I'm sure doesn't help their D stats any.

Lastly - this is probably Virginia's "worst" defensive team in several years.
So, the fact that one ratings system has you rated higher in this one particular year?
Cute.
Maybe you're not familiar with the term "adjusted defense?"

It's a metric that normalizes performance based on opponents and venue.

So in other words, UVA's sked vs. our sked doesn't it factor into it - it's already baked into the cake.

And aren't we playing in this year's tourney? What would last year's - or 1992's for that matter - metrics have to do with this year's matchup?

If you put Pulliam on Boeheim he will go for 30 plus. The one thing I like about Buddy is that lock down defenders are great off the ball and facing their man. Boeheim does very well to get the defender on his back and then use a high release point. In many ways to our surprise as he has added that to his toolkit. He isn't fast but does a nice job driving when defenders crowd him or close out too fast to prevent him shooting from outside. Guerrier vs Mitchell is intriguing. Guerrier will try to go over him given the height advantage. Guerrier has very good footwork and will use both hands in the post. Challenges for both of them given Mitchell's physicality and bball IQ.

As for tempo we will run but giving the quality of passing the half court is fairly efficient in getting good looks plus it helps having five guys on the court who are capable scorers. For SU it still is all about shot selection, rebounding and guarding the 3. If all three are going they are a really tough matchup. As you can see with 9 losses it's been a bumpy road where that hasn't happened all the time except for more recently.
I assume from your posts that Buddy can create off the dribble. Who else on your roster can? I get that everyone can score, but not everyone can create their own shot.

I assume from your posts that Buddy can create off the dribble. Who else on your roster can? I get that everyone can score, but not everyone can create their own shot.

He can get himself a shot this year yes. Dolezaj(our Center) and Richmond are the two best playmakers overall and both look to pass first but they are good getting into the paint. Guerrier will drive on his man if there is a lane but it's not his go to. Girard will on occasion too but not frequently. Griffin has a decent move to get a pull up or turnaround mid range. Again he is capable but you never know what you are going to get. The team passes well in the post and out of the post.

When you see the comment that our coach rolls it out it's a semi truth. He will use iso scenarios and let guys make a play and beat their man a lot.

He can get himself a shot this year yes. Dolezaj(our Center) and Richmond are the two best playmakers overall and both look to pass first but they are good getting into the paint. Guerrier will drive on his man if there is a lane but it's not his go to. Girard will on occasion too but not frequently. Griffin has a decent move to get a pull up or turnaround mid range. Again he is capable but you never know what you are going to get. The team passes well in the post and out of the post.

When you see the comment that our coach rolls it out it's a semi truth. He will use iso scenarios and let guys make a play and beat their man a lot.
Thanks again. The veneer of familiarity helps me enjoy the game more.

Once again, here's to hoping both squads remain COVID-free and get a chance to ball against each other at 100% and put on a good show for the country Friday night.

All I know is SDSU fans late Friday will either feel like they're dominating Space Paranoids at Flynn's Arcade, or like they're trapped in a glass case of emotion.

We’re due for a JG3 explosion too. Seems like the kind of kid who is up for the big stage.
It would be outstanding if AG, Joe and Buddy all have a scoring game but I would settle for two out of three. We can always replace one that is having an off night but when all three go cold, we are in for a long night and a short NCAA run.

I've seen a couple "Virginia Light" comments regarding our D. Cute. Except KenPom has us ranked 11th in adjD and Virgina ranked 33rd. So maybe, defensively speaking, Virgina is SDSU Light?
Yes but you don’t play ACC caliber teams every night. Big difference.

Richmond will be going to the hole allnight on your guards. Oh and posting them up as well.

if you're trying to lose so you can go home you might as well just stop playing basketball

I don't know people dealing with anxiety or other issues might not be well suited to the extra measures.

The NHL and NBA were able to build some fun comfortable stuff into their bubbles. This is 3 weeks of extreme rule after playing a full season with similar precatutions.

Makes me feel better about canceling my trip to Indy. Though I could be tempted if we are in the Sweet 16. Glad I've been to Hinkle before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom