San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM

i agree. i keep hearing how difficult this is for the players and what a huge sacrifice it is. really??? i have a 1 year old at home and get up at 5am everyday for work. id love to spend a couple weeks doing nothing except relaxing in a nice hotel room and playing basketball!
Not exactly sound equivalency or meaningful logic. What you would like in your circumstances has nothing to do with how these kids feel. And nobody cares enough about your circumstances to be asking the question and pulling the story out. Their circumstances are different. They’re required to speak to the media. You’re also presumably paid for the work you need to get up at 5:00 for, as if that time means something special. And if you were tested daily for your job, with the understanding that teammates and millions of people would be let down if you fail, do you think that might weigh on you a little? There’s some legit mental gravity there, no?

I get it, but some people go stir crazy, I did a million times during quarantine, I need to get out just to run to the store or go for a walk, not to be able to do that isn't easy, This isn't the Disney Bubble from the summer, I heard these kids can barely leave their room, and their not getting paid.
Humans adapt to their current condition. If life is too good, then even slight inconveniences result in high levels of stress. It's annoying to people who have suffered but it's natural.

There have been people throughout history that have had it worse than the parents of children that are currently overseas. So should we tell them to get a life?

Of course everyone can have mental health issues, but to hear some of these players like Geo Baker cry the blues about their sacrifices is a bit much.These guys aren’t living in the Do Drop Inn without heat or air and surviving on bread and water.
Yeah that angle is starting to get tiresome. Half of these teams will be home in a few days. The others will get into a groove once they start playing multiple games and the stakes grow. There's a somewhat small media contingent out there that didn't want a college football season (they were resoundingly wrong imo) and now are banging the drum for the abused college hoops player. Enough already.

That's awesome. I'm a a mathematician and data scientist and still (begrudgingly) work in the field. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

I think there is some resemblance of long-term acclimation, or at least a process by which it becomes easier for athletes over time. Again though, I implore you to seek input from those (Has and trainers) who deal with this issue year in and year out in the league.

ETA: I also think the length/duration of time at altitude plays a significant role IIRC. These kids don't pitch a tent and settle in at basecamp. They arrive, check in, check out, and depart all within less than 48 hours. This is significantly different than staying and training at altitude.

Yeah I handed over my quantitative badge to do Policy for a few years just recently. Enjoying that immensely tbh.

The part of the quote that bothered me was the suggestion that players would lose on purpose so they could leave. I think that's ridiculous. Yes, being in a hotel room alone and eating cold food is not good, but once they get on that court there's a sense of normalcy. They're not stuck in the hotel forever.

I'm very sensitive to mental health. And I remember back when this all started, I remember people here, and on facebook/twitter telling people to suck it up and stay home so they could save lives. They didn't want to hear about mental health back then.

This isn't ideal. But I bet most of these kids would rather hang out alone in a hotel room and still be playing in the NCAA tourney than not being in it.

Titus and Tate picked us to beat SDSU
[/QUOTE
Well they are the only ones besides Bilas, Greenberg, Biden, me and you. Lock the doors. It's easy math.

in a world of video games. how many of many college campuses are kids just sitting in their room playing a game alone anyway.. Now not being able to order pizza to go with it could be an issue but maybe they can here too.

Of course everyone can have mental health issues, but to hear some of these players like Geo Baker cry the blues about their sacrifices is a bit much.These guys aren’t living in the Do Drop Inn without heat or air and surviving on bread and water.

That is fine but humans their age have had 12 months of the world being extra shut down specifically for them and most of the specific things people their age like to do not being allowed without threat of expulsion/scholarship loss.

(While other demographics things haven't changed much or have even improved ie someone who WFH and no longer spends 10+ hours a week commuting.)

To not feel for them is pretty rotten when they are in a fishbowl to make the NCAA/TV stations/schools millions/billions. I'd really hope they get small stuff like room service or their own rooms etc etc.

Don't blame any of them for looking forward to the season being over and being able to get near someone that isn't part of the basketball program.

Last edited:
OU lost their 2nd leading scorer for the next 2 games for a positive test. Their last game was against Kansas who had those 3 issues...

Hopefully we are out of the woods as far as any issues with our guys because if what happened with UVA

That is fine but humans their age have had 12 months of the world being extra shut down specifically for them and most of the specific things people their age like to do not being allowed without threat of expulsion/scholarship loss.

(While other demographics things haven't changed much or have even improved ie someone who WFH and no longer spends 10+ hours a week commuting.)

To not feel for them is pretty rotten when they are in a fishbowl to make the NCAA/TV stations/schools millions/billions. I'd really hope they get small stuff like room service or their own rooms etc etc.

Don't blame any of them for looking forward to the season being over and being able to get near someone that isn't part of the basketball program.

To not feel for them is pretty rotten when they are in a fishbowl to make the NCAA/TV stations/schools millions/billions is rotten. I'd really hope they get small stuff like room service or their own rooms etc etc.

Thats not true, they all had the opportunity to opt out and still keep their scholarship.

they all had the opportunity to opt out and still keep their scholarship.
Exactly.
The current state of affairs should not be so surprising.
It's not normal...but what is these days?

if their will can be broken that easily that team wouldn’t be in the tournament to begin with

I enjoyed the podcast, minus the burnt orange part haha. But, good analysis, couple things I'd disagree with but overall, well done!

if their will can be broken that easily that team wouldn’t be in the tournament to begin with
Give it a rest. Just because people would like the option to leave their hotel room doesn't mean they are going to huck themselves out of a 20 story window to escape it when they can't exit via the hall any time they want.

I have no intention of driving to McDonalds right now for a 9pm second supper. But I'm glad I could do it if I wanted to.

The 2 teams that make the final will be sick of their hotel rooms after 3 weeks you can take that to the bank.

Hey guys, we've been diving deep into San Diego State on the podcast this week. Today's episode we had a full breakdown of each of the guys in their starting five. Hope some of you can check it out.

That was a good listen. Until the last 6 minutes... is a quarter of the podcast always devoted to eating burnt oranges, and if so, why?

Thank you for showing us more respect than CBS.

Give it a rest. Just because people would like the option to leave their hotel room doesn't mean they are going to huck themselves out of a 20 story window to escape it when they can't exit via the hall any time they want.

I have no intention of driving to McDonalds right now for a 9pm second supper. But I'm glad I could do it if I wanted to.

The 2 teams that make the final will be sick of their hotel rooms after 3 weeks you can take that to the bank.
what they are doing is not hard duty

lkps.gif

some of their opponents played today - Utah St bounced - UCLA about to be bounced - on Friday, we will bounce them easily

some of their opponents played today - Utah St bounced - UCLA about to be bounced - on Friday, we will bounce them easily
What brand of time machine are you using? Just curious. My WellsTimer is always in the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom