Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof

Ok. I think the main work involved in a retro fit is the supports (take a look at the giant trusses/masts BC Place did) that will be needed because the walls themselves won't be able to support the cabling.
Too bad we can't put flying buttresses on the outside and figure a way to have them carry the load down to the ground.

Why not drive 20 Giant I Beams into the ground (Regular Buttresses??) flush with the outer walls of the Dome and use those to handle the weight of the new roof structure with a completely Structural Steel rim that goes over the top of the Dome concrete top that holds the compression ring.

I gotta believe that a stationary roof made from the Translucent/clear material of the Viking new stadium is doable. With buttresses and Pylons and would still be cheaper than the BC stadium retractable cable roof.

Would be cooler looking too.

Or build 2 stringer type supports like Cowboys Stadium arching over the Dome to hold a new roof.

images

There is definitely no room for that

Cut them off at the edge of the dome and drive them straight down along the dome wall instead of extending them out on the same semicircle.

Cut them off at the edge of the dome and drive them straight down along the dome wall instead of extending them out on the same semicircle.

The strength comes from the "arch". Once you lose the shape of the arch, you lose structural integrity.

OrangeXtreme said:
The strength comes from the "arch". Once you lose the shape of the arch, you lose structural integrity.

Yup when you build an arch there is a horizontal thrust from it carrying the vertical loads if you cant contain the thrust the arch falls. Might have to get very creative with tension and compression ring structures to make something workable.

Yup when you build an arch there is a horizontal thrust from it carrying the vertical loads if you cant contain the thrust the arch falls. Might have to get very creative with tension and compression ring structures to make something workable.
horizontal thrusts and vertical loads?

believe they are planning to replace it with a new dome with a retractable roof.
The Georgia Dome is being replaced for 2 reasons:
  1. so that Arthur Blank can earn more money
  2. so that Atlanta can host another Super Bowl
That's it. The Georgia Dome is still in great shape and is an excellent venue.

Maybe this has been done before but I often wonder, when reading these types of threads, why with Schools of Engineering and Architecture the University doesn't propose a competition for the students to determine if there is a feasible retro-fit for the Dome roofing system. There's a good thesis for someone.

Last edited:
May this has been done before but I often wonder, when reading these types of threads, why with Schools of Engineering and Architecture the University doesn't propose a competition for the students to determine if there is a feasible retro-fit for the Dome roofing system. There's a good thesis for someone.

What's wrong with you!?! That makes too much sense! You should be ashamed for even suggesting it!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom