Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof

Have fun with that scheduling
I was just kidding. I have no idea but I agree it won't be fun to schedule. My guess is they would have a lot of away games until it's fixed. But read "above" and you will find out a rip to Carrier dome's fabric is next to impossible.

how much are the air supported roofs we have now? i understand they need to be replaced more often.

not worth 80M to have a retractable roof. easy to fall prey to thinking "well, 80M is less than a third of 250M." but it's still 80M

jackson state wanted to build a clone of the dome with other people's money (they're crazy too). even with updated codes, they expected the whole thing to only cost 200M - so how much can that roof cost?

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21417995/jsu-unveils-plan-for-domed-stadium

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2013/feb/22/jsu-announces-200-million-dome/

If someone hasn't posted it yet, the last roof replacement was in 1996 I think and cost $14 mil to my recollection. I could be wrong though.

If someone hasn't posted it yet, the last roof replacement was in 1996 I think and cost $14 mil to my recollection. I could be wrong though.

The roof was replaced in 1999.

If the fabric ripped today, that would be a spectacularly unforeseeable and unlikely event. It wouldn't make me wrong. Fact is, the odds of a catastrophic rip -- much less a spontaneous rip -- are very, very low.

Further, just because all air-supported domes use the same technology doesn't mean each dome is of the same quality or has had the same life. All pants have the same technology, but if I'm worried about them splitting, I'll take the higher-end ones that have been hanging in the closet for most of a decade over the bargain rack pair that have been worn four days a week by the 300-pound man for a last few years.

There is always the possibility of a tear, however unlikely with the trained experienced staff that Sala has.

I would be more worried about people now thinking it is unsafe based on the outdated technology. There have been many articles written about the safety of air supported structures. Only a matter of time before someone questions it and the pitchforks and torches come out to have it replaced which is probably much more likely than a catastrophic tear.

Knocking on wood the whole time I am typing.

If it ripped, where would the basketball team go? War Memorial?
Down the toilet is where is where it would go. Everyone involved with the University would look like incompetent idiots for not taking the necessary steps to ensure the continued success of these high level programs. It would be everywhere in the media as a national joke.

I think that when they build the pitched translucent ETFE (or whatever) roof, they should hold an opening ceremony right after a snowstorm below the pitched side of the roof and invite our mayor to accept an award as the snow starts sliding :D

There was a minor tear in the early 90's. The bad panel was replaced, and I believe only one basketball game had to be rescheduled.

I want to guess 1992-93 time frame, because I believe I was in Arizona for a bowl game at the time.

This was the original roof, not the improved roof that was installed in 1999.

When they replace the roof, they should use the fabric to make T-shirts out of it and sell them. They should offer 4x4 inch squares of it under glass to hang with the history of the Carrier Dome and it's roof.

When they replace the roof, they should use the fabric to make T-shirts out of it and sell them. They should offer 4x4 inch squares of it under glass to hang with the history of the Carrier Dome and it's roof.

Believe it or not ... there were plaques containing squares of the roof available after the last roof replacement.

There is always the possibility of a tear, however unlikely with the trained experienced staff that Sala has.

I would be more worried about people now thinking it is unsafe based on the outdated technology. There have been many articles written about the safety of air supported structures. Only a matter of time before someone questions it and the pitchforks and torches come out to have it replaced which is probably much more likely than a catastrophic tear.

Knocking on wood the whole time I am typing.
I have not heard it's unsafe based on outdated technology. Even in the event of a tear, it's still relatively safe. I know of no one who is saying it needs to be replaced due to safety concerns. Risk of failure is more a disruptive economic issue than safety. The technology is outdated though which is why most of these stadiums have been torn down and no one is building new ones.

Nike Cuse Anorak's. $500 bucks a pop , easy.

The fabric air-supported roof is outdated. That's why the dome is the only one left and no one is building stadiums like this anymore despite the lower cost. The builder of the dome even says its outdated. It's outdated.

Wooden bleachers are outdated too. But that doesn't stop players and fans from flocking into South Bend. Nor does the lack of anything to do in that dump town, but that's another story.

College football stadiums across the country are outdated. Michigan numbered their seats assuming that all of their fans were Lara Flynn Boyle sized.

Wooden bleachers are outdated too. But that doesn't stop players and fans from flocking into South Bend. Nor does the lack of anything to do in that dump town, but that's another story.

College football stadiums across the country are outdated. Michigan numbered their seats assuming that all of their fans were Lara Flynn Boyle sized.
I am ok with bleechers but prefer they reside under a retractable roof.

Anorak.jpg
The 44 below Lake Effect Cuse Anorak.

Believe it or not ... there were plaques containing squares of the roof available after the last roof replacement.

I bought one of those at a SU Bookstore sale...it's sitting somewhere in my basement.

If they renovate the Dome it will be closed for some amount of time at least 1 year. Where would the basketball season be played? Where would the football season be played? For football maybe they could use Cornell's stadium. Basketball???

Wooden Retro Bleachers would be Killer!! There would be no silver to reflect the lighting and we could paint people on them to make it look like the dome was full.

I have not heard it's unsafe based on outdated technology. Even in the event of a tear, it's still relatively safe. I know of no one who is saying it needs to be replaced due to safety concerns. Risk of failure is more a disruptive economic issue than safety. The technology is outdated though which is why most of these stadiums have been torn down and no one is building new ones.

A matter of time really, all about perception. Salt was supposed to be bad for you right up until a few weeks ago when a study was done and low and behold...salt isn't as bad as we thought it was, chomp away.

As soon as someone comes out and does a study on air supported roofs being outdate publicly we are in for a stuffstorm and the scrambling will begin.

God forbid if there is an incident with the roof, a cable snaps, a tear during a game while a snowstorm is raging. Would set the sports program back decades.

OrangeDW said:
The Dome is awesome. This isn't the NFL/NBA where everyone constantly needs their new, generic, boring stadium/arena. I'm not buying this "the Dome is outdated" line. Most of the best college hoop/football arenas and stadiums that people actually care about are much older than the Dome.

And by a huge margin. Most are close to three times the age of the Dome.

It seems to me that saving the history and comfort that we all know from OUR home, while improving it in many aspects is the way to go. I don't think anyone even cares if it's unrecognizable afterwards.

This video is not necessarily a good example for our stadium, but does show how drastic a change could happen to an existing stadium.

CuseOnly said:
A matter of time really, all about perception. Salt was supposed to be bad for you right up until a few weeks ago when a study was done and low and behold...salt isn't as bad as we thought it was, chomp away. As soon as someone comes out and does a study on air supported roofs being outdate publicly we are in for a stuffstorm and the scrambling will begin. God forbid if there is an incident with the roof, a cable snaps, a tear during a game while a snowstorm is raging. Would set the sports program back decades.

What if the air supported roof acts like trampoline that shoots an asteroid back into space saving earth from destruction?

Set the risk of something at infinity and any remedy becomes sensible

What if the air supported roof acts like trampoline that shoots an asteroid back into space saving earth from destruction?

Set the risk of something at infinity and any remedy becomes sensible

Not sure what you are saying...are you saying that what I posted was unrealistic?

I was just kidding. I have no idea but I agree it won't be fun to schedule. My guess is they would have a lot of away games until it's fixed. But read "above" and you will find out a rip to Carrier dome's fabric is next to impossible.

One of the Silverdome collapses mentioned previously happened while the Pistons played there and their games for the rest of the season had to be moved to Joe Louis Arena. I wouldn't call it next to impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

CuseOnly said:
Not sure what you are saying...are you saying that what I posted was unrealistic?
Im saying to insure against a risk you gotta have some idea of probabilities and expected values to judge whether it's worth it to insure it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom