Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Save The Dome, Part 1: Raise the Roof

Im saying to insure against a risk you gotta have some idea of probabilities and expected values to judge whether it's worth it to insure it

OK, here are your probabilities.

EVERY other air supported domed stadium has had one or several deflations, EVERY air supported domed venue has suffered a tear that has rendered the venue closed (including the Dome I might add). Some of these incidents were catastrophic.

What people are going to say is that "...it is only a matter of time".

Your defense will be "well our roof is different, and it's better...blah, blah blah...".

The other consideration is this, back in 1999 it cost $14 million to replace the roof. What is it going to cost in 12-15 more years? Is the company that does it still going to be in business? If they aren't and you have to have a company with no knowledge of the architecture create one, what will it cost? Will that roof be viewed as safe?

Your only options are #1 a new stadium or #2 refurbish the Dome. If you refurbish the Dome and don't replace the roof with something of a different technology, it would be a huge mistake regardless of the cost.

CuseOnly said:
OK, here are your probabilities. EVERY other air supported domed stadium has had one or several deflations, EVERY air supported domed venue has suffered a tear that has rendered the venue closed (including the Dome I might add). Some of these incidents were catastrophic. What people are going to say is that "...it is only a matter of time". Your defense will be "well our roof is different, and it's better...blah, blah blah...". The other consideration is this, back in 1999 it cost $14 million to replace the roof. What is it going to cost in 12-15 more years? Is the company that does it still going to be in business? If they aren't and you have to have a company with no knowledge of the architecture create one, what will it cost? Will that roof be viewed as safe? Your only options are #1 a new stadium or #2 refurbish the Dome. If you refurbish the Dome and don't replace the roof with something of a different technology, it would be a huge mistake regardless of the cost.
Where are the probabilities? Not blaming you but a fixed roof implies a higher risk than I assume

Millhouse said:
Where are the probabilities? Not blaming you but a fixed roof implies a higher risk than I assume
Not sure what happened to that post on my phone

I don't even remember what I meant to say but that wasn't it!

Not sure what happened to that post on my phone

I don't even remember what I meant to say but that wasn't it!

LOL... I hate using the virtual keyboard on phones. Would rather stick an icepick in my eye.

We'll see what the stadium panel comes up with. Has this been mentioned here? (did a quick scan didn't see it).

Syverud has a panel to discuss what happens if the roof fails. I believe sport mgmt professor rick burton is chairing it.

We'll see what the stadium panel comes up with. Has this been mentioned here? (did a quick scan didn't see it).

Syverud has a panel to discuss what happens if the roof fails. I believe sport mgmt professor rick burton is chairing it.

This is the first I read of such a panel but I am a little surprised this "disaster recover" plan was not fully formulated before...or maybe it was and they are doing their paper walkthrough.

xc84 said:
This is the first I read of such a panel but I am a little surprised this "disaster recover" plan was not fully formulated before...or maybe it was and they are doing their paper walkthrough.

TWO trusted Dr Gross Medicine Woman to perform some roof voodoo.

Well I guess I'm one of the only students on here that actually reads emails. Essentially he wants to know what happens if the Dome is unplayable and all the factors and pieces surrounding that.

And by a huge margin. Most are close to three times the age of the Dome.

It seems to me that saving the history and comfort that we all know from OUR home, while improving it in many aspects is the way to go. I don't think anyone even cares if it's unrecognizable afterwards.

This video is not necessarily a good example for our stadium, but does show how drastic a change could happen to an existing stadium.

Not enough parking.

...If you refurbish the Dome and don't replace the roof with something of a different technology, it would be a huge mistake regardless of the cost.

I'm late to the rodeo on this, but I hope (and think) that 100% of the people in this thread agree with that. This 1999 version has to be the last air-supported roof on the Dome.

I'm late to the rodeo on this, but I hope (and think) that 100% of the people in this thread agree with that. This 1999 version has to be the last air-supported roof on the Dome.

We know from past experience that a basic roof replacement can be accomplished in approx 3 months (mid-May to mid-August).

Do we know the time frame for the total roof reconstruction that's being discussed here?

Will we lose football games in September? Will we lose LAX games in March and April? Will this drag on longer than 6 months and disrupt everything?

We know from past experience that a basic roof replacement can be accomplished in approx 3 months (mid-May to mid-August).

Do we know the time frame for the total roof reconstruction that's being discussed here?

Will we lose football games in September? Will we lose LAX games in March and April? Will this drag on longer than 6 months and disrupt everything?

Good question. I haven't got a clue. Perhaps someone remembers how long that took in Atlanta?

Good question. I haven't got a clue. Perhaps someone remembers how long that took in Atlanta?
What are you referring to? The Georgia Dome was not converted from air support to cable supported. This state-funded stadium was designed and built with a cable supported roof. That dome was built in 1992 and in 2006 they put $300M in for renovations. I believe they are planning to replace it with a new dome with a retractable roof.

What are you referring to? The Georgia Dome was not converted from air support to cable supported. This state-funded stadium was designed and built with a cable supported roof. That dome was built in 1992 and in 2006 they put $300M in for renovations. I believe they are planning to replace it with a new dome with a retractable roof.

No, I just meant how long it took during the construction process from the top ring being poured to there being a full roof in place. An imperfect comparison, maybe (new construction versus new roof on an existing structure), but it'd give a rough idea.

No, I just meant how long it took during the construction process from the top ring being poured to there being a full roof in place. An imperfect comparison, maybe (new construction versus new roof on an existing structure), but it'd give a rough idea.
Ok. I think the main work involved in a retro fit is the supports (take a look at the giant trusses/masts BC Place did) that will be needed because the walls themselves won't be able to support the cabling. I think the easy part will be putting the roof fabric on and the hardest parts will be done before they could even start with the roof's cabling process. Which part are you calling "the ring being poured"?

BC Place Before:
images

During Construction:
images

5491804519_c8239c5f48.jpg

After:
Stadium%20Purple%20614%20by%20316.jpg

Ok. I think the main work involved in a retro fit is the supports (take a look at the giant trusses BC Place did) that will be needed because the walls themselves won't be able to support the cabling. I think the easy part will be putting the roof on and the hardest parts will be done before they could even start with the cabling process. Which part are you calling "the ring being poured"?

BC Place Before:
images

During Construction:
images

After:
that's the after? looks like a big pin cushion. yuck.

Ok. I think the main work involved in a retro fit is the supports (take a look at the giant trusses/masts BC Place did) that will be needed because the walls themselves won't be able to support the cabling. I think the easy part will be putting the roof fabric on and the hardest parts will be done before they could even start with the roof's cabling process. Which part are you calling "the ring being poured"?

BC Place Before:
images

During Construction:
images

After:

Wow. That was a serious job. The ring is what the old roof sat on (down below the new roof structure), but it looks like they eliminated the need for that to bear the weight of the new roof.

The end result is cool, but SU probably doesn't have enough space to replicate that.

Wow. That was a serious job. The ring is what the old roof sat on (down below the new roof structure), but it looks like they eliminated the need for that to bear the weight of the new roof.

The end result is cool, but SU probably doesn't have enough space to replicate that.
That is the only one I have ever heard of being converted and it was done by Geiger, the same engineer that designed the Carrier Dome.

that's the after? looks like a big pin cushion. yuck.
I agree. If given alternatives, I would not choose it. To me, it's a bit of a Frankenstein and in a way, a good example of why it might be best to start from scratch and end up with a better overall structure if the desire is for a fixed roof (not air supported).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom