Schedule Rumors | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Rumors

I believe it's an ACC requirement.

Browsing through some P5 schedules (not the super powers and not the left coast), most have their P5 opponent for 2024 and probably won't want a 2nd. West Virginia is going old school, playing both Pitt and Penn State. But technically they have an opening. Who wants an orange whip? orange whip? orange whip? 3 orange whips!

One who doesn't is South Carolina. They have Clemson of course, but it looks like they're scheduling another P5 in many years (2023, 2025, 2026, 2027). We could do something like that in 2024/2028, but would mean that one of those years, we take two trips to that state.

Maybe I'll just leave this to the experts. But Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Vandy, Kentucky, Kansas, Kansas State. All booked.

Browsing through some P5 schedules (not the super powers and not the left coast), most have their P5 opponent for 2024 and probably won't want a 2nd. West Virginia is going old school, playing both Pitt and Penn State. But technically they have an opening. Who wants an orange whip? orange whip? orange whip? 3 orange whips!

One who doesn't is South Carolina. They have Clemson of course, but it looks like they're scheduling another P5 in many years (2023, 2025, 2026, 2027). We could do something like that in 2024/2028, but would mean that one of those years, we take two trips to that state.

Maybe I'll just leave this to the experts. But Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Vandy, Kentucky, Kansas, Kansas State. All booked.

There's always BYU.

The B1G and the SEC currently consider Army a P5 team for scheduling purposes.

And maybe UMass will be in the B1G by then.

There's always BYU.

Imminent.

There's always BYU.

I think you're onto something with UMass.

And by UMass, I mean using Army as a P5. ACC isn't down with that yet?

This would be ideal, but don't we in good faith have to schedule one P5 team per year?

We don't have one for 2024.
My assumption was Army can count as a P5.

Even if it didn't...you might be able to snag a P5 as a 4th team. Yes, we normally play a FCS team but @Army, Ohio, another G5 Home and a P5 isn't the worst.

No openings in 2026 either right?. So whoever we schedule in 2024 would probably also include a game in 2027.

My guess is we try desperately to get that game home in 2024, when we already travel to Army. And road in 2027, when worst case we already travel to UConn.
Yes, 2026 is fully booked as well.

What you suggest makes sense to me. I am sure the goal is to play 3 of the 4 OOC games at home every season. If we are going to schedule a home and home with someone, it would be better to play at home in 2024 and away in 2027.

I think there are going to be times it is not possible, but we should be able to play 7 home games at least 3 times every 4 years.

Vanderbilt would be a nice 1 and 1

just saying…

I'd love that. But unless they're going to schedule 2 out of conference P5 opponents in a season, we can't play them until 2030.

That's the year my first born will be legal drinking age.

I'm gonna go throw up now.

Last edited:
If we didn't play UConn... someone else would.

How many away games are under 4 hours away?

If we didn't play UConn... someone else would.

How many away games are under 4 hours away?
We gave them a 2-2 series.
That was a joke.
UConn needs us more than we need them ergo we had leverage we completely wasted.

That was a joke.
UConn needs us more than we need them ergo we had leverage we completely wasted.
Well some of this was caused by the uncertainty of the Dome renovation...we were behind the scheduling "8 Ball" for close to a decade. I agree a 2-2 is overly generous but SU didn't have as much leverage as you think. I think a 2-1-1 (2 Dome, 1 at Rent and 1 at Yankee Stadium) around Veterans Day would have been better. Even a 3-2...but SU surely wanted to save money and maybe Yukon gave them some scheduling flexibility if SU had to make a change.

A 3-2 seems more fair to me but they would have to pay Yukon something for the extra game, so SU obviously didn't want to do that at the time. A 2 for 1 would probably cost even more. We'll see as we get out of Covid if SU schedules like a P-5.

Last edited:
This thread has given Randy a cool $17.83 in bonus monies.
I'm fine with playing UCONN, that program is basically dead.
It gives us an easy road game on the years we play up there.
Yeah. We need to be one of those teams that makes sportcenter for being big meanies by dropping 80 on them.

That was a joke.
Does it really matter? We'll have 10-15K SU fans at the Rent, twice instead of once, which is a nice bone to throw us alums in southern New England that lost most access to nearby hoops games after we joined the ACC.

I know some folks here get very hung up on the whole "hierarchy of college football" thing, but it doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.

Does it really matter? We'll have 10-15K SU fans at the Rent, twice instead of once, which is a nice bone to throw us alums in southern New England that lost most access to nearby hoops games after we joined the ACC.

I know some folks here get very hung up on the whole "hierarchy of college football" thing, but it doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.
Yes, the 'war' with UConn is over. Playing in a conference dominated by teams located in the South, we have made it really hard for fans based in the Northeast to get to away games.

Guaranteed win away games in locations easy for fans near major fan bases in upstate NY, NYC and Boston to attend are a good thing.

Next to UB and Army, this is the easiest away game for me, living in CNY, to get to. And UB and Army are not guaranteed wins.

It matters for scheduling series with other teams.
When you give a dead program a 2-2 how do you use leverage and get better series.
UConn is an independent they can’t get P5 teams to play them 2-2.
They have gotten home/homes with P5 teams but the Syracuse name brand will help them draw people to their home games.
We don’t help draw opponents for many football teams but for UConn we will.
Thus we have some leverage.
We could and should have honestly gotten a 3-2 series if we were giving them more than a 2 game series.

It’s the truth.
We aren’t going to have 15k road fans there.

Yes, the 'war' with UConn is over. Playing in a conference dominated by teams located in the South, we have made it really hard for fans based in the Northeast to get to away games.

Guaranteed win away games in locations easy for fans near major fan bases in upstate NY, NYC and Boston to attend are a good thing.

Next to UB and Army, this is the easiest away game for me, living in CNY, to get to. And UB and Army are not guaranteed wins.
The war is over but when you schedule games we need 7 home game seasons.
It’s hard to do that consistently when you have to give programs like UConn an even series.
They have no leverage.
They need 12 games scheduled every season.
Not 4 thus their home schedule slates are going to be weak.
If they have Syracuse on the schedule it’s a game their fans will want to go because they hate us.

Leverage the fact they need 12 games scheduled if they want us 2 times at their place then they come here 3 times.
It’s not hard to get that done when their alternative is home games with western Kentucky, San Jose State, New Mexico State type teams.