Schedule Rumors | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Rumors

Looks like we are going to get a 2 for 1 with UConn.

We need 2 for 1s. 2 for 1s where the road game is an easy drive for many of our fans are excellent. Must appease the Wilson Brothers.

Good work JW.

As it should be. Well done.

Indeed, they are already melting down.

I think UConn will be able to get the odd home and home with schools that really need to play on specific dates on specific years. UConn has more flexibility than any conference school so they can do that.

If they want to play specific teams at the P5 level, I think they are going to have to do home onlys or 2 for 1s. Most P5 schools just can’t afford the luxury of playing a school like UConn home and home.

It sounds like their AD is doing a good job finding schools with scheduling needs, and I think he did an excellent job getting some schools to switch games and move series out to help them out. It is always going to be a bear for them to find games in October and November, when the conference schedules kick in. They are going to see a lot of games against other independents then. Schools like Liberty and New Mexico State.

We have an opening in 2022 to play them in West Hartford. My fear is that we book that game, with follow up games in Syracuse in 2024 and 2025, and the game in 2022 is played and UConn disbands their football program or drops to the FCS level by 2024.
There can be clauses in the contract to tend to that (ie. $$$ that would allow SU to buy other home games). Ideally, SU wouldn’t play the first game of the series at Yukon. That said, I suspect they’ll be around for another 4 or 5 years to test Independent waters before dropping to FCS or dust.

They could be the first school without a football team to have an IPF.

Still interesting to see other P5 programs settle for 1-for-1 deals with Yukon. Then again Syracuse offers them more butts in seats than the others...

Indeed, they are already melting down.
Some comments from their thread:

“Randy better perform this year. Im
tired of this nonsense along with the other last 5,000 of us who care.”

“So H&H with UNC, BC, MD, etc. But 2 for 1 with Cuse? Wut!”

“2 for 1 with the oranges is dumb. Bad move by AD Dave if true.”

“A 2 for 1 with 'cuse is the first downer I've seen on the scheduling front.”

“That would blow. If we are doing 2-1 get someone better than Syracuse.”

“Not pleased with the Syracuse deal. I will be sending Benedict negative feedback soon.”

“Why is a 2 for 1 with Syracuse that bad? We need local rivals, Cuse is a P5 team, and it's not like we have a lot of football capital to work with.

Because... They are a LOCAL RIVAL!”

“Filling dates, as long as it doesn't become a habit 2/1 with Cuse is fine. Anyone from either fanbase that wants to go to the game can find a ticket easy.

Maybe the 3rd game is at Yankee Stadium but as long a the Liberty games are small in number this kind of thing is fine.”

“Agreed.

Beat them 3 times and get paid twice for it... :cool:” [@Moontan ha ha!]

“I haven't seen the financials behind the Syracuse deal. But we can't turn a game down like that for two reasons. First, beating them helps recruiting. Second, playing them on the road helps our budget.

It's starting to look like we'll make more football money as an independent than we did as an AAC member, and we haven't even squared away a tv contract yet...”

“BS.

If we can get a home and home with the University of No Classes then we shouldn’t settle for less with Fruit U.”
[@Moontan :)]

“Beat them. Go to the Dome it’s not far away. Would love it if they can disappoint Cuse fans like they used to.”

“The fruit better be paying 7 figures for the extra game.”
[@Moontan ;)]

“It’s 3 games vs a regional P5 team. I can’t be mad about that. Would be neat if it was a 1-1-1 With the 3rd at MetLife or Yankee Stadium.”

“I do not now and will never in this lifetime accept any suggestion that Syracuse is somehow on a different level than UConn, except maybe at Lacrosse.”
[@Moontan How many National Championships has Yukon won again... ]

“UConn is going to get 3 P5 games and money in exchange for the fourth game. What's the issue?”

“I'm fine with 2 for 1 if we get compensated for not having the second return game. If we don't, then I would be slightly disappointed.
[@Moontan While it may not be a straight 2-for-1, I doubt that we’re talking more than $400-500k]

And finally, a realist...
“You don't have to, but like it or not, Syracuse, BCU & Rutgers are all in P5 conferences and we're still digging out of the rubble from a 10-year-long football program apocalypse. How about we win a FBS game (that isn't UMess) first before we get this finicky about future opponents?”

UConn didn’t really get a home/home wiTh UNC either.
As I said they are playing at UNC this year in a one off. So it’s a de facto 2 for 1.

UConn is going to try and find teams in a pinch as if they don’t they won’t get home/homes with P5 teams.

UConn didn’t really get a home/home wiTh UNC either.
As I said they are playing at UNC this year in a one off. So it’s a de facto 2 for 1.

UConn is going to try and find teams in a pinch as if they don’t they won’t get home/homes with P5 teams.
Technically, it is a H and H, since the one-off was signed and announced previously.

And that is exactly what the BYer's will keep telling themselves. ;)

There are a few realists over there, as Moontan shared with us above. And, as Tomcat said, kudos to their AD, who has the Herculean task of saving UConn football. He has done well making lemonade out of
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
. I'm not sure it makes a difference in the long run, though.

Some comments from their thread:

“Randy better perform this year. Im
tired of this nonsense along with the other last 5,000 of us who care.”

“So H&H with UNC, BC, MD, etc. But 2 for 1 with Cuse? Wut!”

“2 for 1 with the oranges is dumb. Bad move by AD Dave if true.”

“A 2 for 1 with 'cuse is the first downer I've seen on the scheduling front.”

“That would blow. If we are doing 2-1 get someone better than Syracuse.”

“Not pleased with the Syracuse deal. I will be sending Benedict negative feedback soon.”

“Why is a 2 for 1 with Syracuse that bad? We need local rivals, Cuse is a P5 team, and it's not like we have a lot of football capital to work with.

Because... They are a LOCAL RIVAL!”

“Filling dates, as long as it doesn't become a habit 2/1 with Cuse is fine. Anyone from either fanbase that wants to go to the game can find a ticket easy.

Maybe the 3rd game is at Yankee Stadium but as long a the Liberty games are small in number this kind of thing is fine.”

“Agreed.

Beat them 3 times and get paid twice for it... :cool:” [@Moontan ha ha!]

“I haven't seen the financials behind the Syracuse deal. But we can't turn a game down like that for two reasons. First, beating them helps recruiting. Second, playing them on the road helps our budget.

It's starting to look like we'll make more football money as an independent than we did as an AAC member, and we haven't even squared away a tv contract yet...”

“BS.

If we can get a home and home with the University of No Classes then we shouldn’t settle for less with Fruit U.”
[@Moontan :)]

“Beat them. Go to the Dome it’s not far away. Would love it if they can disappoint Cuse fans like they used to.”

“The fruit better be paying 7 figures for the extra game.”
[@Moontan ;)]

“It’s 3 games vs a regional P5 team. I can’t be mad about that. Would be neat if it was a 1-1-1 With the 3rd at MetLife or Yankee Stadium.”

“I do not now and will never in this lifetime accept any suggestion that Syracuse is somehow on a different level than UConn, except maybe at Lacrosse.”
[@Moontan How many National Championships has Yukon won again... ]

“UConn is going to get 3 P5 games and money in exchange for the fourth game. What's the issue?”

“I'm fine with 2 for 1 if we get compensated for not having the second return game. If we don't, then I would be slightly disappointed.
[@Moontan While it may not be a straight 2-for-1, I doubt that we’re talking more than $400-500k]

And finally, a realist...
“You don't have to, but like it or not, Syracuse, BCU & Rutgers are all in P5 conferences and we're still digging out of the rubble from a 10-year-long football program apocalypse. How about we win a FBS game (that isn't UMess) first before we get this finicky about future opponents?”

Wow, I can’t believe some of these are real responses. LOL

There can be clauses in the contract to tend to that (ie. $$$ that would allow SU to buy other home games). Ideally, SU wouldn’t play the first game of the series at Yukon. That said, I suspect they’ll be around for another 4 or 5 years to test Independent waters before dropping to FCS or dust.

Still interesting to see other P5 programs settle for 1-for-1 deals with Yukon. Then again Syracuse offers them more butts in seats than the others...
I agree SU would get some money if UConn disband their football or dropped down to D1AA. Money isn't my concern here. I want us to be good at scheduling proactively and snapping up opportunities to get 2 for 1s and home onlys, and never again find ourselves in a place where we desperately need a game or two and have to enter into an away only arrangement, like we did with Missouri and Purdue.

That kind of thing cannot and should not happen. Hopefully we get this series and UConn football survives long enough to fulfill the entire contract. Biggest thing is, I would prefer to have the home games relatively early and the away game relatively late to protect against UConn dropping out.

I took it as your availability, what if they play storz on a Wednesday or Thursday??

NYC folk won’t give up a Saturday to see the ole school play at storz when they can drive about 2 hours more and see either Clemson or Fla St on campus.

Put the games at Giants Stadium if you want to see most NYC alumni.

I'm under the impression that the midweek games are driven by individual conferences' TV contract. With that in mind I'm not sure we would see anything but a Saturday for a road game at an independent. Now the Dome games would be potential fits for the ACC network but I've been told that we have an agreement to host a Thursday / Friday conference game each of our first 10 years in the conference. Doubt the ACCN would want to use a Cuse-UConn game as a midweek prime time attraction.

I'm under the impression that the midweek games are driven by individual conferences' TV contract. With that in mind I'm not sure we would see anything but a Saturday for a road game at an independent. Now the Dome games would be potential fits for the ACC network but I've been told that we have an agreement to host a Thursday / Friday conference game each of our first 10 years in the conference. Doubt the ACCN would want to use a Cuse-UConn game as a midweek prime time attraction.
if storz gets a tv contract, they may be playing at home only on tuesdays and wednesdays.

But they like happy outcomes by the time the credits roll.. UConn does not deliver happy outcomes at the end of the movie for their fans.

HCRE gets a happy outcome everytime he cashes a bonus check.

The Hallmark Channel is looking for content. I don't think they show Christmas movies in September.
Especially since Mrs. Santa Claus is going to jail in the Admissions Scandal.

Added note: We're playing UConn this year. So far, it seems like a one-off because our future schedules page doesn't list any other games with them.

Host a game with UConn somewhere in Florida late in the fall. The snowflakes & snowbirds of both teams'alumni might like a game in Orlando, Tampa, or Jacksonville? SU has a pretty hefty fanbase in Florida that might like a home game somewhere near their winter quarters...

Somehow Randy will still be around to parley that into another bonus.

I mean I get the wins I totally do, I love as well as everyone seeing those wins next to our name.

selfishly, I’d rather see some factory schools come in to play and watch Syracuse beat them or maybe lose to them but hopefully give a challenge. Gain notoriety, show people we are the best. Bring national attention to the program.

I don’t know, I’m excited for the season where we have Purdue and Notre Dame coming into the dome.
I think Doc Gross might have hijacked your account.

So that Colgate game completes our 2023 slate, looks like we have two openings for 2024 and one for 2025