Schools pausing/cancelling basketball activities... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Schools pausing/cancelling basketball activities...

Play Duke now and play FSU later.

Duke hasn't had a game since Dec 16 and with coach K having been in quarantine for this game that is now cancelled it would be just our luck we schedule it then they are on pause...

How are all these schools going to control their people if they can't do it while school is not in session?
This has nothing to do with not being able to “control people.” This virus is highly contagious and asymptomatic people who don’t know they’re infected are the primary drivers of the disease. You can get it anytime you’re around someone who is shedding the virus. The six-foot rule is a guideline, masks are not perfect, and people often wear their masks wrong or refuse to wear them at all. Virus particles can float across a room and infect people more than six feet away (how much this is driving infections is unknown but it can happen). Community spread is out of control in most states and contract tracers can’t keep up. Lots of people gathered together indoors for the holidays (even if in smaller groups) and that’s leading to more spread. And now there’s a new variant mutation of the virus circulating that is 50 percent more contagious.

This has nothing to do with not being able to “control people.” This virus is highly contagious and asymptomatic people who don’t know they’re infected are the primary drivers of the disease. You can get it anytime you’re around someone who is shedding the virus. The six-foot rule is a guideline, masks are not perfect, and people often wear their masks wrong or refuse to wear them at all. Virus particles can float across a room and infect people more than six feet away (how much this is driving infections is unknown but it can happen). Community spread is out of control in most states and contract tracers can’t keep up. Lots of people gathered together indoors for the holidays (even if in smaller groups) and that’s leading to more spread. And now there’s a new variant mutation of the virus circulating that is 50 percent more contagious.
Yes, most of that has been known for nine months and the numbers are going up because people can't sit their butts home. How did the NFL pull it off and college basketball can't. Obviously less teams and more at stake for the players financially but if each school created a bubble during the month when school was out of session then we wouldn't be reading everyday about another school taking a pause.

This has hit most of us personally. We have either tested positive or a family member or a co-worker yet people are still not taking precautions. It can be controlled but not if people aren't buying into it.

I don't know how we're going to get a season in and i'm not sure we should be trying at this point. I still don't think we've seen the biggest surge yet, which will probably be in the next 2-3 weeks.

I don't know how we're going to get a season in and i'm not sure we should be trying at this point. I still don't think we've seen the biggest surge yet, which will probably be in the next 2-3 weeks.
i doubt the surge now will be worse than last march-april, there will be an increase yes

still too soon for new years gatherings, probably just starting christmas now

Yeah, there’s always a 1+ week lag in positive test results.

Then a 1-2 week lag in hospitalizations.

Then a 1-2 week lag in deaths.

It’s going to get a LOT WORSE over the next month or 2. :confused:

i doubt the surge now will be worse than last march-april, there will be an increase yes

You’re probably - sadly - mistaken.

The Mar/Apr surge was mostly localized to a handful of states.

Now - it is EVERYWHERE.

There aren’t any fresh & rested medical personnel from non-surge areas who can come to help out, because every last one of them is totally burned out now.
Those that didn’t die along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom