Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the biggest differences between Coach Fran and Babers is that HCFB is a north east guy, he talks and acts like someone from the north east

Dino talked like a west coast guy, calm, cool etc.

It’s not a knock on Dino but there is a difference and shockingly (not really) the North East guy connects immediately better with a fan base largely from the North East
Dino was well liked for a long time by most ( as he should be) and after year 3-4 you would hope that the Northeast gap could have been closed. Make no mistake about it, Dino wore thin because he didn't win enough. The same will happen to Brown if he doesn't win enough. Many fans will turn on him in a heartbeat the minute he punts on 4th and 2 from the 50, calls a bad time out etc, gets blown out in a game, loses a game to an inferior opponent. All of which will happen in the early going, It's coming been here too long

That is why the next 8-9 months will be great but there are very few miracles out there and it's still going to take a couple years to get really good even if Fran does his thing

Dino was well liked for a long time by most ( as he should be) and after year 3-4 you would hope that the Northeast gap could have been closed. Make no mistake about it, Dino wore thin because he didn't win enough. The same will happen to Brown if he doesn't win enough. Many fans will turn on him in a heartbeat the minute he punts on 4th and 2 from the 50, calls a bad time out etc, gets blown out in a game, loses a game to an inferior opponent. All of which will happen in the early going, It's coming been here too long.

That is why the next 8-9 months will be great but there are very few miracles out there and it's still going to take a couple years to get really good even if Fran does his thing

I didn’t say he wasn’t well liked?

I just said that, it’s not surprise that Coach Fran immediately connected with fans, more so than Dino Babers ever did

ADJW went so far as to address NiL transfers in his press conference after he fired Dino. He did NOT seem to agree with Dino’s assessment.

Yeah he also reminded people that the two that Dino was referring to, weren’t playing at said schools and that we brought in people who were making great plays and playing well

That comment by Dino definitely didn’t sit well with ADJW

I didn’t say he wasn’t well liked?

I just said that, it’s not surprise that Coach Fran immediately connected with fans, more so than Dino Babers ever did
Completely disagree, People were throwing their underwear in the garbage after Dino's first presser as well. I remember it. The fans here loved Dino up front and did so for a few years. Eroded worse from 2019, 2020, 2021...

Dino the last few years came off more like a combination used car salesman/inheritance baby than a football coach. I think he knew he was never going to get a 3rd extension and realized he has won in life.

Coach Brown - still proving and still chasing - much needed attitude here especially in the current college football environment.

Lets use a football analogy...

As a WR (or anyone catching a pass), you are supposed to move towards the ball to beat the defender. Catch it with your hands, don't try to catch it with your body. Make adjustments if the ball is not exactly where you expect it. Move towards the ball, don't wait for the ball to come to you. If you do not do this the defender will get a PD or even an interception.

Dino waited for the ball to come to him and other teams (defenders) are intercepting our players.
HCFB is the aggressive WR who is fighting for the ball and making adjustments. Not allowing other teams to take what is ours.

I think the job, with all that came with it , burnt him out. From the time he did his opening PC ( I want you to close your eyes) which was very positive and well received, to today, the college football world is changed. Portal , Covid, NIL. I’m was behind Dino almost to the end . I like the new approach and it should pump life into the program . Go Orange , and Go HCFB !

ADJW went so far as to address NiL transfers in his press conference after he fired Dino. He did NOT seem to agree with Dino’s assessment.
The thing that bothered me the most about Dino's comment was that our problems are primarily on the offensive side of the ball yet our transfer losses were most significant on the defensive side of the ball. I know we lost some guys on offense but they were primarily backups, not key contributors. It just felt like excuse making and throwing his hands up. How about developing some solutions?

Dino also had one QB on the roster that could throw at all and he chose to utilize a QB run heavy scheme tus putting Shrader more in harm's way - and running is what makes Shrader who he is. When the inevitable happened and Shrader got hurt we had virtually no offense until we went to the Villari LQA scheme of the last few games. Looking forward to seeing what the new staff can bring.

My somewhat hindsight criticisms of Dino are mostly mentioned. As adversity set in, I thought he often felt attacked, made excuses, and used an endless array of sales pitches, some new and some recycled (hearing belief without evidence again might make me vomit).

I think he also operated under even more paranoia than the average college football coach. To the point where it seemed like stealth was his edge that he thought would help win. It's not how you win football games though.

That said, I will stop trampling upon the grave. He's a good guy who ran a clean program, graduated kids (at least you never hear of anyone failing out). I wish him the best.

Need to remember, as IB just mentioned above, this was an opening press conference. They are always a day of excitement, new beginnings. I'll agree with so many of you that this one felt different. It did. But the key is how Brown reacts to adversity.

We all say a million times, the press here is a cake walk compared to the big cities or the big programs. But when the team loses, it really doesn't matter how. If it's competitive, people second guess your decisions. If it's a blowout, people ask why your team looked so unprepared. When you're a competitive coach, and the media starts poking with these questions like mosquitos, how do you react?

Brown hasn't faced that yet. He's never been the one leading the presser. For the past two years, he's been at a program whose toughest question from the media was why did you only win by 17. We will lose games. I think we'll have more talent, be a better team, but it won't happen overnight and we'll lose. We'll have injuries that will derail things. How does he react to that?

I think he'll do fine, he strikes me as a guy who's well grounded and will work through it knowing that he will be building great depth thru recruiting. The media questions stuff ate up Shafer, made Robinson age in dog years. Even got to Marrone, who had some kind of falling out with Donnie Webb that I can't recall the details of. Brown has a great story of how he got here, but if he brings it up too much after losses, it won't resonate.

That said, I'm really excited about the hire. Sure, I have concerns about Xs and Os, like everyone else (specifically on offense). But this feels like a leader who will energize recruiting, energize the players on gameday, energize the fanbase, and has rolled out the welcome mat to the football alums. Felt like a new day, and I'm just hoping I don't look back and say opening presser got me again! Don't think I will.

end soapbox. Go Orange.

Last edited:
Completely disagree, People were throwing their underwear in the garbage after Dino's first presser as well. I remember it. The fans here loved Dino up front and did so for a few years. Eroded worse from 2019, 2020, 2021...
Yep, There was almost a panic on this board late in the 2018 season that Dino would take his 9-3 record and leave for more money. We were celebrating when he signed the extension.

Need to remember, as IB just mentioned above, this was an opening press conference. They are always a day of excitement, new beginnings.
Good post, Chip. This here. These guys are all great motivators. They don't get to be head coaches or even high D1 coordinators and assistants without being very good motivators. The internet is for all intents and purposes is forever and the threads lauding Dino's hire and AD Coyle are still available for a skim read for folks.

Let's go HCFB. Portals open, 7% of all D1 players entered on the first day. The hay is never in the barn.

Good post, Chip. This here. These guys are all great motivators. They don't get to be head coaches or even high D1 coordinators and assistants without being very good motivators. The internet is for all intents and purposes is forever and the threads lauding Dino's hire and AD Coyle are still available for a skim read for folks.

Let's go HCFB. Portals open, 7% of all D1 players entered on the first day. The hay is never in the barn.
Exactly. to state otherwise with regard the fans reception to Dino's opening press conference is crazy and not true

It's not transparent (at least to the public) how much booster money
is out there to support a university's athletic programs. I'm sure it
fluctuates year to year and is most certainly driven by on field
success and the corresponding up tick (or down tick) of fan
enthusiasm. The recent change at the top will spike
interest in the short term, but as has been stated over and over,
SU will never be in the same NIL league as the big football factories.

Building a program here is light years from sustaining a program at
Georgia, but if the fans keep their expectations realistic Brown and
his staff may well put a competitive product on the field.

Wish him well. It won't be easy, but it should be doable.

It's not transparent (at least to the public) how much booster money
is out there to support a university's athletic programs. I'm sure it
fluctuates year to year and is most certainly driven by on field
success and the corresponding up tick (or down tick) of fan
enthusiasm. The recent change at the top will spike
interest in the short term, but as has been stated over and over,
SU will never be in the same NIL league as the big football factories.

Building a program here is light years from sustaining a program at
Georgia, but if the fans keep their expectations realistic Brown and
his staff may well put a competitive product on the field.

Wish him well. It won't be easy, but it should be doable.
I think if JWs goal was a competitive team he would have went with Chesney or Candle. If you listened yesterday FBs bar is much higher, he emphasized that.

I am all about Fran right now.

That being said, devils advocate, is some of this not just another variant of "faith without evidence"?

What I mean is...if this team gets good, really good, the building will fill, fans will show, and NIL will roll in. Fran is asking fans to flip that order around. Again, not in any way being critical, I think it's an important message. But is it really that different at its core?

Yeah he also reminded people that the two that Dino was referring to, weren’t playing at said schools and that we brought in people who were making great plays and playing well

That comment by Dino definitely didn’t sit well with ADJW
Because all it did was reinforce that negative slant on the program.

As the guy in charge of the program, Dino can't be doing that, even if he believes that to be the case.

And his boss rightfully was pissed at that woe is me BS and did not agree with Dinos assessment.

Exactly. to state otherwise with regard the fans reception to Dino's opening press conference is crazy and not true

I just remember Millhouse immediately texting me and saying the close your eyes stuff is really weird.

Would have seen his text sooner, but my eyes were closed.

Last edited:

At no point did I say that anyone wasn’t excited about Dino Babers

But the excitement around HCFB is different. He connected with way more people than Dino did right away.

As I said, wasn’t bashing Dino, but that’s a major difference

There is an ABSOLUTE difference between west coast folks and East coast folks.

As I said before, the connection is immediate with HCFB because he’s a northeast guy.

The biggest difference between them is Fran is going to work nonstop to get us better. I love Dino, but I heard from an excellent source a while ago (who would definitely know) that Dino was not exactly a grinder, to put it mildly.
Frans a huge upgrade over what we would have gotten year 9 Dino.

Dino lost his QB middle of the season what 7 out of 8 years? At some point it stops being bad luck.

I think if JWs goal was a competitive team he would have went with Chesney or Candle. If you listened yesterday FBs bar is much higher, he emphasized that.
Setting a lofty goal is fine. If it generates unrealistic expectations from the fan base (and the administration)
which aren't realized down the road we all know what the
result will be, both for the coaching staff and for fan support.

NIL and the portal have made year to year expectations
a crap shoot at best. With a coach with no head coaching
experience there's another layer of uncertainty.

I'm hoping it works for him and SU, but to hold him
accountable for super optimistic goals isn't productive
for anyone.

Setting a lofty goal is fine. If it generates unrealistic expectations from the fan base (and the administration)
which aren't realized down the road we all know what the
result will be, both for the coaching staff and for fan support.

NIL and the portal have made year to year expectations
a crap shoot at best. With a coach with no head coaching
experience there's another layer of uncertainty.

I'm hoping it works for him and SU, but to hold him
accountable for super optimistic goals isn't productive
for anyone.
I agree, I am saying he was talking about championships , FB is not thinking 6-6 or 7-5 as his bar. It was obvious. We will see in a few years , I am old enough to know this could go either way. It’s a big challenge. Go Orange Go HCFB . I’m guessing FB isn’t telling recruits this week “ You stick with me son and I’ll have you featured in the Fenway Wasabi Bowl in no time”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors