Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s almost like Dino knew his fate a long time before the firing a bit.
Once u get a big fat extension knowing it’s likely your last one, it takes the competitive edge off. JW has to be accountable for that too. Both term and amount were out of market for us. JW shouldn’t get a pass on it in all this happy glow IMO.

Frans a huge upgrade over what we would have gotten year 9 Dino.

Dino lost his QB middle of the season what 7 out of 8 years? At some point it stops being bad luck.
Yup. Couldn’t build an O line if his life depended on it. He wasn’t a good coach. Nor did he ever plan or want to be here after year three. I think he’s a decent man who ran a clean program which counts for a lot. But he didn’t ever believe he could win here and his actions and words backed it up. I think he talked a lot of bs with the movie quotes and such while his product on the field was never very good. He was gimmicky from the start.

Once u get a big fat extension knowing it’s likely your last one, it takes the competitive edge off. JW has to be accountable for that too. Both term and amount were out of market for us. JW shouldn’t get a pass on it in all this happy glow IMO.
he kept a coach that 99% of the fanbase wanted retained after the best year in 17 years. Do you not remember the PAY THE MAN!!! posts. Took the gamble and it didn't work out. Keyboard warriors have the luxury of revisionist history. JW does not and I am sure he would own it but Dino did not work out after the 10-3 season, it does happen. You guys are just ridiculous with this stuff

Yup. Couldn’t build an O line if his life depended on it. He wasn’t a good coach. Nor did he ever plan or want to be here after year three. I think he’s a decent man who ran a clean program which counts for a lot. But he didn’t ever believe he could win here and his actions and words backed it up. I think he talked a lot of bs with the movie quotes and such while his product on the field was never very good. He was gimmicky from the start.
That’s a little harsh but I think a little more effort from him and a handful of useful bodies in key spots and things are way different.

Always taking flyers on 2 star recruits instead of getting a 23 year old grad transfer from an FCS never playing half the scholarship players he was a stubborn guy. I think his staff was overall very good over the 8 seasons despite some poor in game decisions from him so I don’t think the change will be a night and day improvement in all facets of coaching.

But the ACC is there for the taking we aren’t bringing a knife to a gunfight any longer.

he kept a coach that 99% of the fanbase wanted retained after the best year in 17 years. Do you not remember the PAY THE MAN!!! posts. Took the gamble and it didn't work out. Keyboard warriors have the luxury of revisionist history. JW does not and I am sure he would own it but Dino did not work out after the 10-3 season, it does happen. You guys are just ridiculous with this stuff

People are nuts. We were 10-3, ranked, had our next prized QB ready to go. 10 win seasons are rarified air in these parts. It's what gets coaches extensions after 3 years.

No one saw 2019 coming, that's on Dino, not on Wildhack.

People are nuts. We were 10-3, ranked, had our next prized QB ready to go. 10 win seasons are rarified air in these parts. It's what gets coaches extensions after 3 years.

funny how that 1% now seems to be a much higher % of people.

I am all about Fran right now.

That being said, devils advocate, is some of this not just another variant of "faith without evidence"?

What I mean is...if this team gets good, really good, the building will fill, fans will show, and NIL will roll in. Fran is asking fans to flip that order around. Again, not in any way being critical, I think it's an important message. But is it really that different at its core?
Yes it’s different.
There is evidence; the coaches being hired that are top notch recruiters and the high level recruits that will be visiting this weekend.

Last time with Dino, there was no NIL to deal with. NIL is now a mandatory and integral part of improving a team and winning championships. It can’t be something that follows later.

The terms and amount were the going rate for the market.

agree 100% !!

It'll be interesting if the Fran Brown era helps us reflect better on the Dino era. I feel like the cupboard is stocked a little better than it was after Marrone left and Shafer was fired, but there's still work to do.

I know for me personally, after 2018, I said pay the man.

As I exited Byrd Stadium in early September 2019 I started to think, what have we done.
I remember walking in to Camping World Stadium 6 months before and seeing 25,000 Orange fans on our half of the stadium and saying to myself “ We have turned the corner, it’s clear sailing” It takes a long time to build a good program it seems it takes minutes to crush it.

Dino was well liked for a long time by most ( as he should be) and after year 3-4 you would hope that the Northeast gap could have been closed. Make no mistake about it, Dino wore thin because he didn't win enough. The same will happen to Brown if he doesn't win enough. Many fans will turn on him in a heartbeat the minute he punts on 4th and 2 from the 50, calls a bad time out etc, gets blown out in a game, loses a game to an inferior opponent. All of which will happen in the early going, It's coming been here too long

That is why the next 8-9 months will be great but there are very few miracles out there and it's still going to take a couple years to get really good even if Fran does his thing
I'm definitely going to enjoy the era of good feelings that we have right now, but I don't think people really turned on Dino until 6-0 turned into 7-6. We sold out two games in a row last season.

Honestly the sell outs and then the passive aggressive complaints about attendance this year were a bit of a turn off for me. Like we show up when we have something to show up to, it's not the fans fault his team largely poo'd the bed every time we got a bit of momentum.

To be fair I think it was JO who mentioned back then that Dino knew 2019 was going to be a tough year, but he still had expected to make a bowl game and failed. The talk of living up to preseason top 25 hype wasn't going to happen.

But you're 100% correct that everyone wanted Dino extended after 2018

Last edited:
Age is a big factor - I think any program looking to build needs to be looking at a head coach in his early 40s. If you’re expecting a 60 year old to be a grinder, you’ll be disappointed most of the time.

Even listening to Lavar Arrington and Brady Quinn, they’ve commented they don't have the energy and endurance they did in their 20s - and the way the game has evolved and the demands on coaches have increased, college head coaching is now a young man’s game.
I'm going to angrily reply to you that 60+ year old guys can grind...but I have to take a nap first.

I am all about Fran right now.

That being said, devils advocate, is some of this not just another variant of "faith without evidence"?
All coaches at their introductory press conference ask for faith without evidence, even if they don’t phrase it that way. All coaches basically say that you’ll be proud of the players on the field, in the classroom and in the community. Hope abounds. And then three or four years later, they are fired after not winning enough.

Fran’s hiring has had immediate impact where Dino’s hiring did not. We are getting visits from elite recruits simply because of who our HC and DC are. We’ll sign some of those guys. To me, Fran’s first week has already surpassed Dino’s first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom