Scrimmage Jan 26 / Hofstra - Vermont | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Jan 26 / Hofstra - Vermont

I can't find the article now, but Desko did state that they were comfortable with Solomon playing up top, which I took to mean coming through the box..

I didn't even think about that and it's something I thought would happen last year. Rotating Solomon up to midfield

They could potentially do that but Ive heard they prefer Cook at attack and run Solomon through the box. Obviously wont have an answer till middle of the year. But with Tucker sidelined indefinitely, Cook will certainly get a lot of chances

Are you expecting Dordevic back by Colgate? I get the feeling this is going to turn into one of those "he should be back next week" and 6 weeks later were still waiting.

Are you expecting Dordevic back by Colgate? I get the feeling this is going to turn into one of those "he should be back next week" and 6 weeks later were still waiting.

I am more confident in Dordevic returning soon than Fernandez. He doesn't shy away from mentioning him in press conferences and said he was doing well in running drills in practice and improving each day. The trend seems to be for him to barely mention someone at all when they have a bad injury. Don't recall him mentioning melon or thorpe were hurt until we saw in a syracuse.com article that they were out for season. Also he didn't mention Staats' injury when he had the chance. Not mentioning Fernandez at all is disturbing, but lets hope that's just because nobody has asked him directly.

A few tidbits being heard, Trimboli, Curry ,Kennedy and Dearth were impressive, Fusco also looked good. Onto newer faces, Cook appears to be everything that Jeremy said and perhaps more. Not sure where he gets positioned on the field but he'll likely see good time as everyone is saying . Phaup is stepping up as needed, has very quick hands and a burst out. He's going to support/complement an improved Varello very well. Hearing this allays concerns a great deal and results against Ierlan the goat is not going to quickly change that. Barlow has been a pleasant surprise at ssdm in camp, his length and speed is working well there and he may be working his way into that rotation. Small has some similar attributes.

Great to hear so many positive things so far. The Phaup news is especially encouraging because after him and Varello things fall of a cliff. Martin and Garlow were 0-6 combined on Sat and I don't think either is a D1 fogo at this point. Barlow played some offense early in his career at FM ( I believe mid and attack) so he could be another weapon with Dearth at SSDM. Fusco uncharacteristically struggled last year so I fully expected a rebound year especially with him being a Sr. If Fernandez is healthy those two will be a nice 1-2 punch with Kennedy able to play either close or LSM. I am hopeful that the 11 goals by Vermont were just opening game issues/jitters and that this D can really step up this year.

Cook ensuring good health is going to be a star, awesome to see him come out and impressing already. He was a player of need at attack and is going to be a boon for this offense.

I am more confident in Dordevic returning soon than Fernandez. He doesn't shy away from mentioning him in press conferences and said he was doing well in running drills in practice and improving each day. The trend seems to be for him to barely mention someone at all when they have a bad injury. Don't recall him mentioning melon or thorpe were hurt until we saw in a syracuse.com article that they were out for season. Also he didn't mention Staats' injury when he had the chance. Not mentioning Fernandez at all is disturbing, but lets hope that's just because nobody has asked him directly.

Ya I hope everything is going OK with him, don't believe he played Saturday and there hasn't been anything on him. Hoping someone from syracuse.com will pick up on it and ask at the next PC this week.

I can't find the article now, but Desko did state that they were comfortable with Solomon playing up top, which I took to mean coming through the box. I agree, until Dordovic is fully fit it seems like that would be a smart choice. Defenses, I imagine, would have a tough time deciding who to short stick if Solomon, Trimboli and Curry are all on the same mid line. Would also add a different dimension to the second midfield if they played him there.

Meant to mention Fernadez, it would be great to have him back soon. Still pretty deep at that position, but Fernandez looked to bring something extra to the face-off position. I am a little nervous that the coaches will yo-yo Helmer and Murphy back and forth - think they would develop more quickly if they just chose to play short stick. But I guess you have to weigh need vs skill, and they might just be better players with a long stick in their hands.

I keep reading Solomon or Cook coming from box but doesn't that mean that one of our star mids is off? Please correct me if wrong. Believe it will be a managed attack rotation with Refhuss being the one constant on field. Four is obviously easier to manage than five but hoping Seebold gets his opportunities as well.

Wing play a team strength with depth so no need to rush Fernandez timetable, think he is fine and on schedule. Could see some double poling if fogos struggling but Dearth emerged late as force with ss on wing and Kennedy a legit AA lsm. Fusco, Helmer, Schaz all capable as well. Desko did mentioned in earlier presser that Kennedy might be shifted down against quicker attack units and Fernandez return at some point allows that to happen as not optimal to be on wing then drop to close

Dearth is our best overall dm but Helmer may be the best ssdm defensively and he handles the ball well snuff. which suffices . Newbies on D were apparently sidelined with minor injuries so seems wise to have Helmer and Murphy picking up both after Staats injury. Helmer versatility a major plus. Think he'll be at ssdm, not sure where Murphy settles. With rule changes and quicker pace , might see more two way mids. .

Running a fourth attack out of the box helps fill in gaps when there are injuries or someone is gassed. It also keeps other lines intact, and it can get good dodgers on the field against short sticks. Who do you pole — Cook, Trimboli or Dordevic?

It also puts your six best players on the field, potentially. For example, if Cook is a better lacrosse player than, say, Curry, the Orange need a goal and your five other best players are Solomon, Voigt, Rehfuss, Trimboli and Dordevic, then you run Cook through the box to get your six best offensive players on the field. Their exact positions don’t matter, if they’re all comfortable. (Again, just an example. No offense to Curry.)

In regards to Solomon through the box, in my mind it was related to Dordevic being injured. If everyone is healthy, I would consider running him through the box with the second midfield to mix things up. Also, a lot depends on chemistry and match ups. Maybe the opposing defense is big and slow and would have problems with Cook/Curry and Solomon but would be comfortable with Voigt. Maybe another team really struggles with ball watching and Voigt would be important in those games. It will be up to the coaches to try and draw a mismatch.

In regards to Solomon through the box, in my mind it was related to Dordevic being injured. If everyone is healthy, I would consider running him through the box with the second midfield to mix things up. Also, a lot depends on chemistry and match ups. Maybe the opposing defense is big and slow and would have problems with Cook/Curry and Solomon but would be comfortable with Voigt. Maybe another team really struggles with ball watching and Voigt would be important in those games. It will be up to the coaches to try and draw a mismatch.
Incisive stuff P22 as usual. Just some thoughts about Solomon as a middie. To me, his most important assets are his very quick hands and wonderful eye hand coordination, both of which make him very dangerous in food fights around the goal where the ball is bouncing around or ricocheting from helmet to crosse. He also catches difficult off target passes well. What he does not do well is pass out of a double, or dodge from long distances during which he often loses the ball or falls down when confronted by a slide. He can be useful perhaps on the jump, but I'd still rather see him moving without the ball around the crease and
gle. Short dodges he does well. A tough sob. More mobile than Voigt, Solomon might be more of an asset with two athletic attacks who can pass well.

Which could make him the final option after an initial dodge by someone else.

Dodge-pass-pass-re dodge

He’s good at the quick dodge or quick move (hitch or face dodge) into a shot on the back side after someone else initiates

Last edited:
Running a fourth attack out of the box helps fill in gaps when there are injuries or someone is gassed. It also keeps other lines intact, and it can get good dodgers on the field against short sticks. Who do you pole — Cook, Trimboli or Dordevic?
I wouldn't pole the unknown so that would be Cook or Solomon coming through the box. Ultimately I'd probably short-stick Voight. I'll be honest...Solomon doesn't move the needle for me; I hope he proves me wrong though.

I'll be honest...Solomon doesn't move the needle for me; I hope he proves me wrong though.
My problem with Solomon is I keep expecting him to be Banks or Rice. It’s not fair, but it is what it is. I just rewatched some of their highlights, and while they were great, and they were, they also had sublime talent around them that maybe allowed them more room to create. I like his fire. Gets him in trouble sometimes, but that’s learning. My guess is he finally has the trouble makers around him this year that he gets to show some real heroics.

Solomon isn't a crease guy. His strength is dodging from the wing. He'll play crease when it's his turn to rotate through.
I couldn’t disagree more Solomon has shown me that he struggles to dodge quality defenders. I’m blanking on the opponent but last year he tried to dodge with the game on the line and he ran out the clock and couldn’t manage a shot. He’s not a traditional crease man but he is not a consistent dodging threat. Our biggest problem last year was our attackman struggling to dodge quality poles.

Teams will have to double pole our midfield. I would expect a lot of teams to try and short Voigt. Curry was drawing the pole last year in certain games and certainly most teams will choose to pole Trimboli, heck Tucker when healthy is an option to pole. To me our top four offensive players in no order and those three and Rehfuss.

I couldn’t disagree more Solomon has shown me that he struggles to dodge quality defenders. I’m blanking on the opponent but last year he tried to dodge with the game on the line and he ran out the clock and couldn’t manage a shot.
That was the NCAA game against Cornell matched up against Pulver.

Teams will have to double pole our midfield. I would expect a lot of teams to try and short Voigt. Curry was drawing the pole last year in certain games and certainly most teams will choose to pole Trimboli, heck Tucker when healthy is an option to pole. To me our top four offensive players in no order and those three and Rehfuss.

If they do double pole the midfield, I think that is when you hope Cook or Seebold can play the "Rhefuss as a frosh" role and take on the shorty - as the team did when opponents would double Salcido and Mariano two years ago.

Discussion on Solomon reminds me of nbadraft.net where they assign numerical scores to every facet of a players game before a final score. You'll see that the finest basketball prospects have imperfect scores in many categories.

Bit unfair to single out one play because he has many highlights against very good defenders where he is dodging as well. Remember the triple pump where he beats several?

Solomon may not receive the highest grade as a dodger , may not be the best passer out of a double but he has his strengths and is a productive player.

He's a hybrid who can fit several designs though I lean toward Shol's take on where he best operates.

Think the larger question posed by Powell is the synergy of combos and the ability this year to employ different looks depending on opponent. In that respect, the onus is on Desko to best mix and employ.

If they do double pole the midfield, I think that is when you hope Cook or Seebold can play the "Rhefuss as a frosh" role and take on the shorty - as the team did when opponents would double Salcido and Mariano two years ago.

100% correct (in my opinion). I think they would put in Cook or Seebold in place of Voigt if they double polled the midfield to get a shorty on an attackmen which we did successfully a few years ago as you noted. They could also put Nelson in that position based on how he has looked in the pre-season as well.

Exactly. Dordevic Trimboli and Curry are all dangerous against a short stick. In many ways especially Dordevic and Curry due to their flat out athleticism, even though Trimboli is a way better shooter. Cook looks capable of beating a shorty at the very least. Even though we have all of this depth, I would like to see us have our starting three middies on the field way more this year. The staff should have more trust in Dordevic Trimboli and Curry and hopefully play them as much as they did Salcido and Mariano. Would be devastating if Dordevic doesn't have the same spring in his step as last year, but he seems like a very motivated player so I don't think he will let this injury knock him down a peg.

I agree. Also, I want to remind everyone that an opponent deciding that the top 4 dodging threats on SU doesn't include Voigt isn't the same as that team deciding to double pole the midfield. Some teams have a 3rd close defender who is not a great cover guy, but more of a slide guy or interior defender and they will be happy to put him on Voigt.

Also with the shot clock, offenses will be moving faster and spending less time subbing and it may be difficult for defenses to bring on a short stick defensive middie and switch him onto an opposing attackman. Do teams want to keep an ssdm on the defensive end at all times?

In 2016 Jordan Evans wasn't a great dodging threat at attack, but nobody put a shorty on him until Maryland did in the quarterfinals.

Another aspect of this is SU having 2 lefties on the field when they are running a 4v3 fast break. Middies and defensemen are used to an L shaped break with 2 righties.

Exactly. Dordevic Trimboli and Curry are all dangerous against a short stick. In many ways especially Dordevic and Curry due to their flat out athleticism, even though Trimboli is a way better shooter. Cook looks capable of beating a shorty at the very least. Even though we have all of this depth, I would like to see us have our starting three middies on the field way more this year. The staff should have more trust in Dordevic Trimboli and Curry and hopefully play them as much as they did Salcido and Mariano. Would be devastating if Dordevic doesn't have the same spring in his step as last year, but he seems like a very motivated player so I don't think he will let this injury knock him down a peg.

One of the reasons we lost to Cornell in my opinion was the lack of playing time for the 1st line. I went back and read my recap and it appears we were subbing every other possession despite the 1st line clearly playing better. No issue utilizing depth but we also need to be prepared to ride out the starters as well when the game calls for it.

One of the reasons we lost to Cornell in my opinion was the lack of playing time for the 1st line. I went back and read my recap and it appears we were subbing every other possession despite the 1st line clearly playing better. No issue utilizing depth but we also need to be prepared to ride out the starters as well when the game calls for it.

I have said it before: If Rehfuss and Solomon can play for essentially 60 mins every game dodging against d poles and riding hard on clears, why can't our equally or maybe even more dangerous 1st line middies do at least somewhat close to the same when they almost always get subbed out after the ride?

There is a time and place to use the advantage of depth but questionable when there is no tomorrow.

We could have won that game.

Not blaming officials but believe they were not helpful, broke our momentum at times when we seemed on verge of putting it away. Having said that, we lost to Red twice , they were better in fourth when it counted, end of story

Never felt the Dome provided any edge in officiating last year.

I respect the calm and professional demeanor of our coaches but seems that officials are prone to bend to beeching that resonates by some opposing coaches. Not referring to specific Cornell game but in general

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom